Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (Bow Pics 9-27) - Page 180 - The Planted Tank Forum
 8621Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2686 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:44 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Really interesting your comment about which melted. At one point early on I tried B. Japonica and it melted. Tried it later when the ferts seems to be adjusted correctly and it melted. Now with the soft water it grows great - never expected that. For me it took several years to learn what you just learned in a week. Syngonanthus sp 'Giant' is another plant I want to try some day now that I have soft water - kinda expected that one to hate the hard water. Really surprised the Polycarpa dropped leaves.

Guess the other curious thing for me - which bows survived. When the co2 gets too much in my tank I know exactly which ones will go to the surface. In your case with the assumed oil poising, I was expecting you either lost the oldest ones or the youngest ones. From your pic above it looks like you have a pretty even mix of sizes. I do look forward to your new "color assortment" when they arrive. Guess that really just means you will have a lot more children to watch grow up.
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2687 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Really interesting your comment about which melted. At one point early on I tried B. Japonica and it melted. Tried it later when the ferts seems to be adjusted correctly and it melted. Now with the soft water it grows great - never expected that. For me it took several years to learn what you just learned in a week. Syngonanthus sp 'Giant' is another plant I want to try some day now that I have soft water - kinda expected that one to hate the hard water. Really surprised the Polycarpa dropped leaves.

Guess the other curious thing for me - which bows survived. When the co2 gets too much in my tank I know exactly which ones will go to the surface. In your case with the assumed oil poising, I was expecting you either lost the oldest ones or the youngest ones. From your pic above it looks like you have a pretty even mix of sizes. I do look forward to your new "color assortment" when they arrive. Guess that really just means you will have a lot more children to watch grow up.
Yeah Linn plants are funny sometimes. One Polycarpa melted, and the one right next to it didn't skip a beat. The Syngo's do like very, very soft water, so no surprise there. But so do Tonina, and those held up fine. I guess you just never know.

Now some are just indestructible. L. Rugosa, Limno Aromatica mini, Mayaca Fluviatilis, Nymphoides Hydrophylla 'Taiwan', etc. And that L. Atlantis I got from you is another one. A really great grower and not fussy at all.

Now as to the Bows, yes it was a mix of large and small. Some were hard to find, which makes it even more of a shame. Will take pics of the new arrivals when they get here.

---
---
post #2688 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Damn, Greg. I haven’t been on here in a while and I’m sorry to hear that.

Glad though, that you did the whole TPT community a solid with the reminder that there is sometimes a reason to use aquarium-specific equipment. It seems a couple of people were aware of potential problems with utility pumps, but most people, including me, were not.
Greggz and chayos00 like this.

post #2689 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Wow, read about this today for the first time this evening. So sorry but happy you're getting it sorted out and you and your tank are bouncing back. You may have already got the pump thing settled but have you considered using a non submersible pump? Of course any time you tap into the side of a barrel you have another opportunity for a leak, but as a personal thing I stay away from submersibles if I can. I'm more concerned about stray voltage in my pond but it just seems like a lot less opportunity for bad stuff to happen when the whole pump isn't in the water.
Greggz and Dfeagley6 like this.
post #2690 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Wow, read about this today for the first time this evening. So sorry but happy you're getting it sorted out and you and your tank are bouncing back. You may have already got the pump thing settled but have you considered using a non submersible pump? Of course any time you tap into the side of a barrel you have another opportunity for a leak, but as a personal thing I stay away from submersibles if I can. I'm more concerned about stray voltage in my pond but it just seems like a lot less opportunity for bad stuff to happen when the whole pump isn't in the water.
Too late for that.

Already went with a new pump. It's listed as a pond pump, and the description states......."No oil inside - safe for ponds with fish".

I think that is the key.

If anyone is interested, this is the one I went with. Water is pumped up about 14', and I'm pleased that the flow is strong. Didn't time it but will this week to get some idea of GPH.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4500-G...ump-63402.html
chayos00, burr740, LRJ and 4 others like this.

---
---
post #2691 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Just completed a rare weekday water change. Trying to get things back to my normal parameters as soon as possible.

So besides the fish loss, looks like more plants took a hit than I thought. Had several things all happening at once. Much higher KH, softened well water vs. RO, ferts all over the place, CO2 /pH drop all over the place, mini cycle with ammonia....basically all the things you don't want to do to your plants. Did the first WC with RO water on Saturday, and that helped stem the tide.

It took some time for some plants to show symptoms, but here is an example (sadly not a glamour shot!). Tonina sp Lotus Blossom has been a solid grower for me. Loves soft water, and was humming along. Here it it today.

Notice the brownish section on the middle one? That's a weeks worth of growth in vastly different conditions. Had a couple more do the same thing and they broke right at that spot and the tops floated away. This plant is normally algae free, but you can see how quickly it crept up. Probably a combination of not being happy and the ammonia spike. The good news is the newest growth is bright and vibrant. I am sure it will fully recover in time.

Here's another one, Rotala Tulunadensis. Known as a very difficult plant, but was I fortunate to have it humming along very nicely until now. Same deal, never had algae before, and look at it now. Once again the very newest growth is nice and vibrant, so I am hopeful it will recover over time.

You can also see the Rotala Macranda Variegated just to the left of it. Once again, some uncharacteristic algae, and lots of stunted tops. Going to trim it back pretty hard sometime this week and get some new fresh tops going.

Others that aren't faring well are L. Pantanal, which has lost a lot of color. No surprise Rotala Wallachii stunted as well. Like the others, it's showing signs of recovery and is now throwing out some nice pink tops since the RO water change on Saturday.

So a pretty good example of don't change too much too quickly, and stability is a good thing. Still most plants held up pretty well, and the ones that didn't are not surprising to me.

After this water change I should be pretty close to usual parameters. As least much closer than a week ago.

On a side note, I timed the new pump and was pleased. The water is pumped up a little over 14' in 1/2" pipe, and it took 17 minutes for 70 gallons. So about 250 gph, which is pretty good given it's going up a floor.

---
---

Last edited by Greggz; 08-27-2019 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typo
post #2692 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:00 AM
Algae Grower

Glad to see things are coming back to normal, Greg. It's testament to your experience that you were able to bounce back without much damage.
Greggz likes this.

post #2693 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Ich not long ago, now the possible pump oil???

Plants will bounce back but the phish go to Davey Jone's Locker.

Hope you are on the uphill now!
Greggz likes this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #2694 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 04:01 AM
Algae Grower

Good to see you turned the tide and the plants are recovering well.
Your corrective actions and assessment was right and in time.
Greggz likes this.

Just in for information... and planning, a lot of planning
post #2695 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hey Greg, I am sorry to jump here late, after months of absence from my part on the forums (so sorry, swamped with my job too much!), but a notification of what you posted lately caught my attention and wanted to chime me in.

I am so sorry for what happened and for your fish loss, that sucks. But I am glad to read you could fix the problem and get back on track. I was just wondering, if the problem was some bad stuff leaching from somewhere, would have Prime, active carbon or Purigen helped? Did you try that? That would have been my first step of action.

I will try to follow from now on... Keep it up, your tank is always top-notch, no matter what bad may happen!
Greggz likes this.
post #2696 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablau View Post
I was just wondering, if the problem was some bad stuff leaching from somewhere, would have Prime, active carbon or Purigen helped? Did you try that? That would have been my first step of action.
Good to hear from you Fab.

I don't know if any of those would have removed the toxic oil or not. My first instinct was to change water quickly. 99% of the time, that is quickest way to remove something. Unfortunately it only made it worse, as it was the source water that was contaminated.

Once I realized that, the next step was a WC with my tap water (softened well water). That turned things around quick. Remember this all happened in a pretty short time window, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what was going on. Yeah, you could call it panic mode.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Ich not long ago, now the possible pump oil???

Plants will bounce back but the phish go to Davey Jone's Locker.

Hope you are on the uphill now!
Yeah MG it's been a tough summer with the two events.

But I am moving on, and hopefully things get back to normal now.
fablau, chayos00, Econde and 1 others like this.

---
---
post #2697 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

And so the restocking begins............

[

---
---
post #2698 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:53 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I am gutted you've gone through this but am glad that you are getting right back to it. That would be enough to get a lot of people out of the hobby. My own reef keeping days ended with my prized tank crashing. But you took it like a boss and have a fish box on your floor already! Looking forward to seeing your new acquisitions and hope this is your last disaster.

This awful ordeal has me questioning my own RO set up. I have a Little Giant pump that has run RO/DI water for 12 years. And I know it's been 5 since I changed the DI cartridge. @cl3537 mentioned cleaning out storage tanks... I have never in 12 years done this to the RO tank. It looks as clean as the day I first filled it, but we all know few contaminants can be seen. Frustrating to think that all of the measures we take to avoid contamination can be the source of contamination.

I have wholesale accounts with a lot of vendors. If there's anything I can help you get, don't hesitate to PM me.
Greggz, Quagulator, Leeatl and 2 others like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #2699 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
And so the restocking begins............

[

Great news Greg! Where do you get your fish? It looks like "shipped fish"...
Greggz likes this.
post #2700 of 3517 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I am gutted you've gone through this but am glad that you are getting right back to it. That would be enough to get a lot of people out of the hobby. My own reef keeping days ended with my prized tank crashing. But you took it like a boss and have a fish box on your floor already! Looking forward to seeing your new acquisitions and hope this is your last disaster.
Thanks for the good thoughts. Throwing in the towel never crossed my mind. Having been in the aquarium hobby for a very long time, you have to expect some setbacks. But this one was pretty rough, as losing a bunch of livestock at one time is very painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
This awful ordeal has me questioning my own RO set up. I have a Little Giant pump that has run RO/DI water for 12 years. And I know it's been 5 since I changed the DI cartridge. @cl3537 mentioned cleaning out storage tanks... I have never in 12 years done this to the RO tank. It looks as clean as the day I first filled it, but we all know few contaminants can be seen. Frustrating to think that all of the measures we take to avoid contamination can be the source of contamination.
Is the Little Giant a utility pump? If so, I hope you are not on borrowed time.

As far I can tell, all of the regular submersible utility pumps all have the same type of motor enclosed in oil. The pumps labeled as pond pumps all have magnetic drives with no oil. They also clearly state they are safe to be used with fish.

As to cleaning out the tanks, like you mine are always like new inside. Guess it wouldn't hurt to do it once in a while, but I am confident that had nothing at all to do with my situation.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fablau View Post
Great news Greg! Where do you get your fish? It looks like "shipped fish"...
The restocking is going to be a combination of local breeders and this shipment from Imperial Tropicals.

They are working with some well known breeders and are offering some fish you won't find from the wholesalers at your LFS. Many have good lineage that can be traced back to Gary Lange. They also let you choose males for a bit higher price. With my all male tank that becomes important.

They are settling in now and I will get some pics of the new line up in the next day or two.

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode