Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (Almost back to normal 10-12-2019) - Page 190 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6320Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2836 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 03:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (Almost back to normal 10-12-2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
Eh, just a phrase I was using, to mean just more stem plant based. Rules are only for contests. LOL

Yeah the biggest negative to going all stems like y'all, is the weekly maintenance of trimming. With having a 4 and a 2.5 year old running around finding the time to do things around the house is tricky! So that would be my one caution for going with the route of the stem plant tank. But they do look so good!

I could always lift off the gas pedal too, but like you said color goes down a bit too. But I'd probably start it off that way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have found that even lower demanding plants look much better when you go hard on the gas pedal as if its a Dutch tank. I can heavily prune and thin out my crypt farm and in a week youd never be able to tell. Im able to harvest dense mats of windelov java fern without drastically impacting the bushy established carpet of it. My blyxa japonica is propagating almost to the point of being out of control. A new crypt flamingo only had one leaf melt and has already thrown two new ones in just two weeks. Lots of light, ferts, and co2 seems to make even low demand plants a lot happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greggz, chayos00 and Asteroid like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2837 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
With having a 4 and a 2.5 year old running around finding the time to do things around the house is tricky!
Another way to look at it is alone time.

Can be therapeutic and meditative too......not to be too cerebral, but tuning out the world for a bit is not a bad thing and good for the soul.

Now all that being said, the truth is I'm just trying to talk to you into it because I enjoy following another tank and seeing where it goes, and I think you would be good at it!

---
---
post #2838 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 03:21 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Yeah I saw Chinesis peeking up there. I think you'll like that plant
Greggz likes this.

post #2839 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 03:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Lots of light, ferts, and co2 seems to make even low demand plants a lot happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh very true, about 6 months ago I trimmed all of my Anubis plants on my log and it's pretty much filled back in. If I hadn't burnt half the leaves when I did a heavy glut/h2o2 spray about a month or two ago I could probably have trimmed off a ton more of the Anubis. My Java Fern's are the same, they grow like weeds for sure!

Greggz and varanidguy like this.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #2840 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 03:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Another way to look at it is alone time.

Can be therapeutic and meditative too......not to be too cerebral, but tuning out the world for a bit is not a bad thing and good for the soul.

Now all that being said, the truth is I'm just trying to talk to you into it because I enjoy following another tank and seeing where it goes, and I think you would be good at it!
Oh I totally agree, but the wifey looks at it as I'm just hiding and doing another single person hobby spending all that time on it vs the family. Well, her complaining about that is what also got me to do my water change system to make that a 20 minute job vs the former 2hr job it was. However now I do it on my afternoon break on Friday afternoon. Since I work from home that works out well! But also quiet time would be nice since I am always at home....

post #2841 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

I just confirmed the calibration on my American Marine Pinpoint ph Controller and found one I need to probably clean it once a week or so... But two that the pH calibration was only off by 0.07ph at the 7.0 reading.

How do you clean yours, I used a bottle cleaner style brush/tubing cleaner to clean the probe from some of the brine shrimp that I feed.

post #2842 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
How do you clean yours, I used a bottle cleaner style brush/tubing cleaner to clean the probe from some of the brine shrimp that I feed.
I only clean mine when I take it out to calibrate it, about once every month or six weeks.

Use an old toothbrush and just give it a quick scrub. And I always calibrate to both 7.0 and 4.0. As long as the unit calibrates, it is still good. Like I said, I am impressed with how little drift there is.

---
---
post #2843 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

@chayos00 do you run yours on a timer to shut on/off every day?
chayos00 likes this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #2844 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
@chayos00 do you run yours on a timer to shut on/off every day?
Yes, I have the pH controller plugged into a Kasa power strip and have it shut off for 1.5hrs mid day for a siestas along with the 2hrs for the lights. So power cycled twice during the day. The screenshot is of the times it's controlled.

Greggz and Quagulator like this.

post #2845 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Any problem with your bows jumping? Or do you have a cover?
No way I can put a cover on my tank.
Greggz likes this.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

post #2846 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:57 PM
Algae Grower

Rainbows definitely jump. I have glass lids and hear them hit all of the time.
Greggz likes this.
post #2847 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2creative View Post
Any problem with your bows jumping? Or do you have a cover?
No way I can put a cover on my tank.
Bows can be jumpers, some species more than others.

I have a canopy, which definitely helps.

That being said, it still happens, albeit rarely.

I'm actually looking at a way to block the backside a bit better. Might rig up some egg crate or something to add a little more protection.

---
---
post #2848 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
as someone who's using plastic mesh for the back of canopy, i wish i had gone with egg crate. are you gonna use some anti-UV spray paint to prolong the life of the egg crate? I had some reef keepers warn me about UV (from T5HO and LED users) cracking aquarium braces and such lol.

post #2849 of 2849 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
as someone who's using plastic mesh for the back of canopy, i wish i had gone with egg crate. are you gonna use some anti-UV spray paint to prolong the life of the egg crate? I had some reef keepers warn me about UV (from T5HO and LED users) cracking aquarium braces and such lol.
I used egg crate on a previous tank with canopy that was there for about 15 years or so.

Notwithstanding the warning it somehow still managed to look like.....well....egg crate after those years.

So no, I am going to take my chances!

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode