Prometheus Dirted Iwagumi (DSM) - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Prometheus Dirted Iwagumi (DSM)

Hello!

I'm working on a 10 gallon dirted Iwagumi style tank. This is my first tank and I'm learning the mechanics of how these ecosystems work, so I would love some input on my methodology.

Substrate
The bottom 1" layer of the substrate is a 1:1 ratio by volume of organic potting soil (peat moss, bark, compost, perlite, earthworm castings, and organic fertilizer) and CaribSea Eco-Complete. The top 1" layer is entirely CaribSea Eco-Complete.

Rocks
5 Seiryu stones

Lighting
20" Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED

Plants
Hemianthus micranthemoides "Monte Carlo"
Staurogyne repens

Last edited by WayToPlant; 05-24-2016 at 04:26 AM. Reason: formatting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5
Opare, Opare, Iwagumist and 1 others like this.

Last edited by WayToPlant; 05-24-2016 at 04:14 AM. Reason: formatting
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 03:28 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Growing nicely! When do you plan to flood?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
Growing nicely! When do you plan to flood?
I have no idea, but I've been getting antsy for sure! I suppose I'll wait until the carpet covers the entire floor. I'm also in the process of trying to figure out what canister filter I want to buy.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 04:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayToPlant View Post
I have no idea, but I've been getting antsy for sure! I suppose I'll wait until the carpet covers the entire floor. I'm also in the process of trying to figure out what canister filter I want to buy.
Eheim ecco pro is pretty outstanding for a smaller tank. I have one on my 15 gallon and am loving it.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanSan View Post
Eheim ecco pro is pretty outstanding for a smaller tank. I have one on my 15 gallon and am loving it.
Thanks for the suggestion JuanSan. I looked it up, but ultimately went with the Eheim Classic 2213. I read a lot of good things about the classic model.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 02:56 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion JuanSan. I looked it up, but ultimately went with the Eheim Classic 2213. I read a lot of good things about the classic model.
yeah you cant go wrong with either! Is everything else progressing well with your tank?

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
yeah you cant go wrong with either! Is everything else progressing well with your tank?
Yes! Thanks for asking. The MC is filling out quite nicely. I think I will flood in 2 weeks. Next weekend I'm quite busy, but the weekend after I will have time to set up my Eheim. I'm so stoked!

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 03:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looks like it's going to be a great tank. With a small school of fish, maybe some microrasboras, it will look fantastic. Great job, especially on a first tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Looks like it's going to be a great tank. With a small school of fish, maybe some microrasboras, it will look fantastic. Great job, especially on a first tank
Thanks! I was considering getting a small school of green neon tetras. My local aquarium store has them and they mesmerize me every time I visit. I was thinking about some crystal red shrimp as well.

I'm still unsure though. I think I'm going to let the tank stabilize for a few weeks after flooding, then see what wildlife will be suitable for the tank.
Opare and Opare like this.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 04:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

10 Gallon Dirted Iwagumi (Dry Start)

Green neon tetras are lovely had a small batch for a while. Yeah I wait a month before stocking, but a few weeks is adequate for good practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WayToPlant and WayToPlant like this.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 07:51 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Yes! Thanks for asking. The MC is filling out quite nicely. I think I will flood in 2 weeks. Next weekend I'm quite busy, but the weekend after I will have time to set up my Eheim. I'm so stoked!

I never did a dsm personally but it seems like a lot of people after a couple of weeks run into yellowing and algae problems. I wonder why?

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I never did a dsm personally but it seems like a lot of people after a couple of weeks run into yellowing and algae problems. I wonder why?
I believe the yellowing is caused by a lack of CO2. If the tank doesn't have enough carbon or organic material in the substrate and if plastic wrap (commonly used to keep humidity high) restricts or blocks air entirely, the plants may not get enough of CO2.

As for algae, perhaps that's simply adding too much moisture. I feel that many people soak the substrate with a lot more water than they should in the DSM. DSM is meant to be a way to use high light cycles without the risk of algae, but with enough water (even though it isn't enough to submerge the substrate) it can still grow algae.

I actually had some algae begin to grow on the edges of my tank. Cutting back on moisture and light has reduced it significantly.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 7

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I love it. That tank is going to be gorgeous when it's flooded!
WayToPlant and WayToPlant like this.

Tags
dirted, iwagumi, low-tech, soil, walstad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode