S3F's Hot Mess 29g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
S3F's Hot Mess 29g

Im sure youve heard the phrase "That looks a hot mess..." LOL, that is probably what most people think when they see my tank.

The 'decorations' are there to serve a function for the fish. My shark lives in the fake driftwood and has since she was a baby. My Corydoras live in the fake bell and have since they were babies. And the java fern is zip tied to the shell/cave thing.

This tank will be rescaped completely after I setup my 50 gallon tank.

Tank specs;

29 gallon
Lighting ; Coralife 30" T5NO fixture with one 6700k 18w and one 10000k 18w Also-one T8 in stock hood with DIY reflector--6700k 18w.
Filtration; Fluval 205 canister with ceramic rings, Purigen and sponge. Penguin 150 HOB with filter floss-used for water polishing and added circulation.
Heater-Stealth in tank
Substrate; plain gravel with root tabs.
CO2--none, I dose Excel daily
Ferts--EI using Seachem--soon to be dry ferts.
Fauna 1x Rainbow Shark, 2x Neon Tetra, 4x False Julii Corydoras, 1x Olive Nerite, 100x ramshorn babies and MTS babies that hitched a ride on the Blyxa.

Flora-forgive me as I give common names-if someone would like to educate me I will make notes of the scientific names of all of my plants -1x Ozelot Sword, Java Fern ( narrow leaf? ) dwarf chain sword, blyxa, some sort of long tall crypt that I would like the name of, wisteria, 'porto velho', watersprite, anubias petite and several unknown algae forms.

This pic is from this past Thanksgiving. The lighting was only the T8 at this point. Lots of plants suffered and algae covered a lot of them. So, I hacked a lot of them off near the surface and hoped for the best.

These are from tonight 2-10-2010 The glass needs to be cleaned and the snails need to be crushed--but I dont think it looks AWFUL? The micro sword ( e. tennelus?? ) is just kinda shoved into the substrate. I had the flu when it arrived and just put it in the gravel to keep it alive. I was in no shape to divide and plant that crap. I will do it better at a later date.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Looks good and healthy! I think that micro sword you are mentioning is Helanthium tenellum. Gets a pinkish hue on it in good lighting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
nice hot mess

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Changed this a little--it still isnt very nice--but it is improving I think. I actually think it will look pretty good once everything grows back in. Some of the Java fern was swapped from another tank and isnt happy-but it is recovering. There is some Sunset Hygro behind the petrified wood near the HOB intake--I got it from someone on here and didnt like the looks of it--I cut off the best looking tops and planted them--they are doing decent, but havent grown enough to see them over the wood yet. The Ozelot sword in the far right corner needs to be moved--it is hidden by the Crypts too much where its at. That is on my 'to do' list. Im just gonna swap places with the Crypt spiralis.

The picture washes out the red in the Aromatica

You can see where I hacked the spiralis off at the top--it had some BBA onit and looked rough.

Ignore my background--its a little wrinkled. The Blyxa also had to be hacked due to BBA. Im sure it will look good when it grows in though. Its already grown some, I had very little to save and plant this past weekend.

my pretty female Kribensis--she is almost mature enough to put her with my male and see if they can make some pretty babies.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Finally some red showing up. I wonder why the stems are so crooked? Anyone have any thoughts?

What good is a drop checker if you cant tell what color it is? I think it turns green towards the end of the day, but the indicator is so dark it is hard to tell--any clue what I did to make it so dark?

I hacked all the leaves off of my Java fern--they were covered in BBA. They are slowly coming back. It also looks like I have some sort of moss growing----I never purchased any though. It showed up after I added pressurized CO2, is it moss or just some sort of mutation of the Java fern roots?

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3fan View Post
Finally some red showing up. I wonder why the stems are so crooked? Anyone have any thoughts?
Plants grow towards the optimum light. That is why plants in pots are moved around.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Its looking a little better, things are growing in. Picture is awful, I took it with my iPhone---believe it or not, the only lighting is from an 18w T8 in this pic. It looks like I have 500w of light on it because it is so washed out--lol. Can you spot my 6 inch rainbow shark?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-11-10 V5.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	21303  

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

took a couple of pics and a video tonight--for some reason the video wont transfer from my camera to the pc--gotta figure that out. The pics are better than the iphone pics--but still not pro shots like some other folks post on here. Enjoy.

FTS---taken at lights out time--notice the plants are going night night already. I like the way they look when they close up so I left the 18w T8 turned on for some night time pics. CO2 and the T5s had been off for about an hour when these were taken. Airstone running in the background of the FTS.

Rotala of some sort and L. aromatica

another pic of the Rotala ( indica? ) almost breaking the surface of the water.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

hmm--I thought my artsy fartsy pics would get a response or two. No dice huh? Any suggestions on improvements?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You need a graduation of low to high through out the tank. Thus spread the low plants out in front. Also think Wisteria would look nice on the right side.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
You need a graduation of low to high through out the tank. Thus spread the low plants out in front. Also think Wisteria would look nice on the right side.

I really didnt expect the Rotala to take off like it did when I added CO2. I need to move it to the back.

As for the Wisteria--there is some on the right already.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
That L. Aromantica looks like it's thriving! That's always been one of my favorite plants.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
As for the Wisteria--there is some on the right already.
Oh, the leaves are smaller than mine. Perhaps adding API Tabs, contain Iron sulfate, Nitrogen, Potassium carb, Potassium sulfate, would help it to grow better. What about the plant in front of it? Looks like it will stay low. Could you split it?

Wish I could get my rotalla growing like you have yours. I can't afford stronger lights though. It needs the most light.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Oh, the leaves are smaller than mine. Perhaps adding API Tabs, contain Iron sulfate, Nitrogen, Potassium carb, Potassium sulfate, would help it to grow better. What about the plant in front of it? Looks like it will stay low. Could you split it?

Wish I could get my rotalla growing like you have yours. I can't afford stronger lights though. It needs the most light.
Ive read that Wisteria grows the leaves like mine has under higher light and the wider leaves under lower light--thus the 'diformis' name.

The plant in front of thw Wisteria is Blyxa, it grows like crazy but wont get much taller than that. I also have some Crypt spiralis on that side, they are just now getting some height back after I hacked them off due to BBA, they will reach the top of the tank soon.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Ive read that Wisteria grows the leaves like mine has under higher light and the wider leaves under lower light--thus the 'diformis' name.
Oh that is why the leaves were different when I had a PC bulb over the tank. Now I just have 3 T8 20 watts over the tank.
Quote:
Are the plants in front of the rocks Crypt spiralis .
Are those the plants in front of the rocks? I thought they were sags.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode