Tank Atlantis! - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank Atlantis!

Hello to all PlantedTank members!

The name of our tank is Atlantis because it is the embodiment of plant and animal life! We are proud members of https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...classroom.html, and plan to continue to strive within it! We picked our group just the way it was because we knew that we would be able to cooperate, make improvements, handle the responsibility, and show what it means to be an aquarist. We still have a long way to go, but we know for sure that we laid down the foundation for greatness in Methodís Aquarium Science Classroom. In our ten-gallon tank we have:

General:
Substrate - Black Diamond blasting sand
Filter - Aqua Clear 20
Water Heater - Aqueon Pro 50 W
Tank Capacity: Ten Gallons

Fish:
Black Skirt Tetras
Sunburst Platys
Guppies

Plants:
Java Moss
Rotala
Java Fern
Anacharis
Water wisteria
Vallisneria americana

What do we plan to do?
-We plan to fill our tanks with twice as many plants, and get our hands on two Corydoras catfish and maybe even a freshwater pipefish!!

TANK ATLANTIS

FortyDeuce_-(40)-_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Looking good gentlemen!

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is a nice piece of driftwood and well placed

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question:

Should we move our driftwood to anywhere else in our tank? Would our fish (Sunburst Platy, Guppies, and Glow Tetras) like if we were to move it somewhere else?

Bump: Does anyone know how to properly add CO2 to a tank?

FortyDeuce_-(40)-_
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looks great guys!

I don't think your fish will have any issues with the location of the driftwood. It's largely your choice and subject to your specific sense of aquascaping. The holes in that particular piece should make it easy to attach some of the smaller anubias species.

I have a question regarding the black diamond substrate: I've read conflicting stories about whether or not it needs to be rinsed. Did you guys rinse it, and if so how did you rinse it and for how long?

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:44 PM
Algae Grower

Looking good!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:53 PM
Algae Grower

Looking sharp! There are many good and easy was to add co2. I run a diy 2 liter bottle with yeast and sugar. With co2 comes a little more responsibility and checking water parameters. Just a thought.
FortyDeuce and FortyDeuce like this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lightbulb *Update 3* What's been going on in Method's Classroom?

Hey PlantedTank,

In Method's Classroom, a lot has been going on lately! With Spring Break right around the corner, we had to buckle down on out tank. We had one primary goal for the time being-getting Cory catfish for our tank. Not only would it make a great addition to our tank, they are some of the coolest looking fish in the sea!

The next thing on our list of priorities, is getting a CO2 injector for our tank! I'm pretty sure that most people on this website know what it is but just for a quick recap:

-Helps plants grow very quickly
-Vital to the growth of your plants
-Converts your normal to aquarium tank to a--> "HI-Tech Tank"

That's all for today folks!
Also, check out Method's Tank Journal, it's awesome:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...classroom.html

FortyDeuce_-(40)-_
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Bushkill!

We have three ways to take care of our substrate. First, we allow our tanks to cycle for long periods of time to get rid of all types of undesirable debris within our tank, and secondly we found that our Black Diamond Substrate has a tendency to float around in our tank so we use a fine-mesh brine shrimp net to capture all floating substrate. Finally, we use a gravel vacuum to suck up other types of unwanted things that lurk in our substrate!

Bump: Thank you very much mdeck! We will make it a serious consideration in progression of our tank!

FortyDeuce_-(40)-_
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyDeuce View Post
Thanks Bushkill!

We have three ways to take care of our substrate. First, we allow our tanks to cycle for long periods of time to get rid of all types of undesirable debris within our tank, and secondly we found that our Black Diamond Substrate has a tendency to float around in our tank so we use a fine-mesh brine shrimp net to capture all floating substrate. Finally, we use a gravel vacuum to suck up other types of unwanted things that lurk in our substrate!
Thanks! So if I'm understanding correctly, you didn't rinse it out before putting it in the tank. Just added water and removed any floaters and foreign objects manually. Correct?

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, that is correct!

FortyDeuce_-(40)-_
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
So a very small proportion of the blasting sand floats for whatever reason. We remove it with a brine shrimp net. We generally waited 3-4 weeks before adding fish, but added plants immediately. This has worked well for my tanks at home as well as the 20+ tanks at school. Apparently the blasting sand doesn't have any dangerous levels of residue. It also doesn't have much dust.

*Disclaimer* -From what I've read Black Diamond Blasting sand is locally sourced as slag from coal-fired power plants. It's possible that different plants use different grades of coal and/or different burning protocols. It *should* completely combust any volatiles, but who knows. As far as I can guess, without having done any in-depth research, it's just colored silica with some impurities. Anyone who knows better please correct me!

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

We got a new addition to our tank! A nice log with plants growing from the top, not only a place for our shy fish to hide but adds a "unique" look to our tank!
doggo and doggo like this.

FortyDeuce_-(40)-_
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 12:03 AM
Algae Grower

Tank is looking great! I initially was going to use Black diamond sand but would have had to order atleast 50lbs of it :/, So went with some Fluval stratum instead
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool! I've heard that Fluval Stratum is very mineral-rich which will help to stimulate strong plant growth, great choice!

FortyDeuce_-(40)-_

Tags
tank alantis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode