Our Underwater Journal - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By frobieortiz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Our Underwater Journal

What does the word Aquarium mean? 7th grade aquarium science elective has provided us with one of the most interesting learning experiences. I've learned things from the compound nitrite to take care of the living organisms! Thanks to https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...classroom.html, not only have I learned to care for fish and know what nitrite means, I know that an aquarium is not only a place for fish but it's a meaning of home to our perspective. Method’s classroom is a fun and buoyant classroom full of hard workers and fish. Methods classroom has taught the class how to take care of fish.

To add a more natural look and make our tank look beautiful we added 2 peices of driftwood hardscape. One is a beautiful log in the back and an arched hardscape covered with Java fern plants. In our tank we have black diamond soil substrate. We chose this substrate because it's better for our plants and our tank because we wanted to create a jungle/ forest theme for our tank.

In our tank we have 13 plants consist of Myriophyllum, Java fern, Java moss, Water Sprite, pennywort, wisteria, ozelot sword, rotala, anacharis, cryptocoryne, hydro tiger, Umbrella plant, and Sword plants. Also are pond snails help with maintenance of our tank. They eat the excess waste and keep our glass clean. We also have guppies and about to add a new betta fish. To make sure our plants, fish, and snails stay healthy we grew bacteria!

Our Aqueon pro 50w heater keeps our guppies water at about 76 degrees fahrenheit.We grow all our plants in moderate light (single-bulb T8). All of this is contained in our 10 gallon tank donated by house of tropicals. You start out small but the potential of your tank is limited and you can try so many designs. Our filter is a 20 Aquaclear in our beautiful tank.

In the future we plan to expand our varieties of plants from Eleocharis azurea and Ammania Gracilis. We wish to expand our fish from guppies (and are soon to have betta fish) to red cherry shrimp. My team would like to have more experience like catfish and spiderwood for our hardscape which we would like to put in the empty space in our tank.

We hope to update you every week, thank you and have a good day/night!
abrown and abrown like this.

Frobieortiz
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by frobieortiz; 03-17-2016 at 07:41 PM. Reason: paragraph breaks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Here it is!

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thumbs up We need help by: Underwater tank journal

In Methods classroom we each have our own tank and we need your help. In our elective we have guppies, red cherry shrimp, and a beta fish. Can you help us figure out what other fish and/ or plants that we can put in our 10 gallon tank? We have a pro 50w heater and grow our plants in moderate light. We also have a 20 Aquaclear filter of our plants and fish.

Frobieortiz

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Red face How do we raise a betta fish by: Underwater tank Jour

Hi Plantedtank friends,

We need your help. We are hoping to get a betta fish very soon, but we don't know how to take care of one. Do you know how to raise a betta fish in a 10 gallon tank? We also have guppies. Are guppies compatible with betta fish?

Frobieortiz
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What would you choose?by:Underwater Tank Journal

In Methods classroom, we choose our own plants for our tank. If you had to choose between the Amazon sword plant or an Anacharis plant what would your choice be and why?

Frobieortiz
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants or Fish By:Underwater tank Journal

One of my members in our group is obsessed with underwater plants such as Java Fern, sword plants, and so many more plants its got to the point she wants a plant that cant even FIT in the tank. Also another one of our group members loves fish but we cant have certain fish with other fish in our ten gallon tank so what team are you on, Team Fish or Team Plants?

Frobieortiz
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking Submerged or Immersed By:Underwater Tank Journal

¨Which is better submerged plants or immersed plants¨ said Methods classroom.

In my opinion immersed plants are better because the roots are in the water but not standing above. This is better because my favorite part of plants is the leaves so the leaves are fully exposed to air.

Frobieortiz
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 06:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobieortiz View Post
¨Which is better submerged plants or immersed plants¨ said Methods classroom.

In my opinion immersed plants are better because the roots are in the water but not standing above. This is better because my favorite part of plants is the leaves so the leaves are fully exposed to air.
I like emersed plants too but don't have much room to keep them in my tank (I have to keep a lid on it because my fish like to go to the surface to breathe humid air). Do you know of any plants I could grow emersed that don't need to be very tall?

What are your favorite plants to grow emersed?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
My favorite plants to grow emersed are Ludwigia glandulosa (endangered in Maryland by the way), Cryptocorynes, and mosses (which are on all of my waterfalls).

Here's a new pic of your tank! Not pictured are the herds of baby guppies...

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some of the plants that don't need to be very tall is the Japanese Pennywort. My favorite plant is also mosses of emersed plants. I have a cool log that is full of healthy green moss.

Frobieortiz

Last edited by frobieortiz; 04-25-2016 at 05:43 PM. Reason: I misspelled a word
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobieortiz View Post
Some of the plants that don't need to be very tall is the Japanese Pennywort. My favorite plant is also mosses ofr emersed plants. I have a cool log that is full of healthy green moss.
I'll bet that is really pretty.

I like the look of moss growing on wood. I've tried to do that in tanks, but never got it to look the way I wanted it to.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How did it grow, @GreenAcres? Maybe I can help you.

Frobieortiz

Last edited by frobieortiz; 04-25-2016 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Need to acknowledge a user
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Exclamation Cleaning fish tanks By: Undertank Journal

We are about to clean our 20 Aquaclear filter. There is grim and moss in the filter. Can you help us? What is the best technique to use when cleaning this type of filter?

Frobieortiz

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode