First Tank, 60 gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Tank, 60 gal

I was gifted a tank, and after looking at different fish and what people are doing these days, I decided to try a planted tank, or at least a tank with a lot of plants.

The tank is a what I think they call a 60G showcase, anyway it is narrow. Probably not ideal for this type of tank. 4'x2'x1', only 1 foot wide(front to back).

If I can't get the hang of this, maybe I'll just get some Oscars and call it good.

After reading about the dirted tank I got intrigued, so I am trying that. Dug up some dirt from the garden, ran it through a kitchen strainer.
The dirt had a lot of loam, and sand in it. After going throw the screen and getting "washed" it really reminds me of the dirt at the bottom or shore of a pond, so thats good.

After sitting in a bucket for a week now, it is not smelly, so that's good too, at least no anaerobic behavior going on yet. I'm just guessing here, I really don't know if either of those are good things or not. Just following my nose.

I finally got to drill the tank today. I wanted to drill it before I started building the hardscape and planting plants. I'm not sure if I will actually go with a full sump, or just use a canister. I already have the canister that I got with the tank. Probably just use a canister for awhile.

I put in a small overflow box, and dual bullkheads. Plugged them for now. I got some scrap pieces of acyrlic for $2 and glued the box together. Silicone job is pretty sloppy, would have been easier from the small tube, instead of a caulking gun. Cuts were sloppy on the box too, maybe I'll redo it down the road.

I also drilled a return line. Put it on the end near the overflow.
I really didn't want them on the back, and maybe I can get some circular flow going on in there. I hope that the narrowness of the tank doesn't ruin my plan.

I have a few pics from the construction..

Feel free to give me advice.

J

Washed soil, I squeezed some more water out after this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dirt Down

I put my dirt in about a week ago. An 1-1.5". I got as much water out of it before I put it in and packed it pretty good on the bottom.
I covered it in a bunch of Flourite and what I think is Black Diamond blasting or whatever. I bought it at the LFS it was labeled as black sand, and cheap.

A few pick s of the dirt going down.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Use a paintbrush, it is much neater and less grimy on the hands.
Enjoy the new tank, it provides a few challenges as well as opportunities being this shape.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode