• 2 Post By Method
  • 2 Post By TechFish5726
  • 2 Post By TechFish5726

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The Three Swimmers

Joining https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...classroom.html was the most exciting and most important thing to us. After each day of school this is the class that I look forward besides my other classes!

Everyone here works together in groups to work their tanks to perfection, well not perfection really but we do try our best and that's all that matters. Also we have the help of our wonderful teacher who taught us everything we know so far and couldn’t make it this far without. In return we’ll give him the best tank we got.

Anyway, as for our group we got a five and ten gallon tank that we all take responsibility for. We might even be able to get a three gallon thanks to one valuable team member of ours. Our five gallon contains an Aqueon 10 filter, an Aqueon 50-watt heater, and a single-bulb T8 fixture (the heater and filter came with the tank). We also have black diamond blasting sand as our substrate too. The plants we have are Brazilian Pennywort, Anubias, Dwarf Water Lettuce, Purple Cabomba, Vallisneria Americana, Amazon Sword(which was suppose to be Ozelot Sword but that’s okay I guess they’re practically the same), Ludwigia repens, and Bolbitis.

We also have a shrimp named coral in our five gallon tank right now. We did have a dwarf puffer but, it died from reason that we can’t find out. We also have 10 gallon tank with four red wag platies. We are look forward to get more red cherry shrimp for our 5 gallon tank.

Last edited by TechFish5726; 04-05-2016 at 11:59 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Thanks guys!

Here's a picture of your 5 gallon.

And here's our little girl!

A pic of the 10 gallon tomorrow...
Noahma, Noahma, doggo and 3 others like this.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower

Coral looks great! I think she'd be awesome to start growing a nice shrimp colony. Have you seen any growth on the plants yet? Can't wait to see the 10 gallon!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Looks good!

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's their start on a 10 gallon riparium!

top oblique

doggo and doggo like this.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

SunSun Pimp #66
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
Coral looks great! I think she'd be awesome to start growing a nice shrimp colony. Have you seen any growth on the plants yet? Can't wait to see the 10 gallon!
I had an unexpected slow-motion shrimp die off about a year ago in my home display tank. I later identified the probable cause as a half-rusted galvanized nail in the substrate (toddlers...). Coral went into my quarantine tank with a few of her fellows, but had to share space with a bunch of fish I brought home from school over the summer. By the end of the summer the attrition was complete except for two shrimp, Coral and a nice-looking male. I was unable to get them to breed at school this year; I have no real idea why. I hope The Three Swimmers can take better care of her (and our large shrimp donation from @miataisalwaystheanswer!) than I did. Neglect is not generally good for pets...

SunSun Pimp #66
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: April 5,2016

I realized that we didn’t say enough about 10 gallon tank that mentioned earlier in this journal, SO, we’re going to lay it on you, which means tell you. Our 10 gallon has the same filter, heater, and substrate as the 5 gallon and most of the plants but not all. The ten gallon has two greek ruiens, that we bought ourselves, and attached to is the java moss and on the other is ,my favorite, the anubis so far. We also have a little waterfall in the tank which is really just a piece of slate held between the filter and a side of the tank really. Our teacher was also nice enough to give us a little platform for plants to grow on under the waterfall including a land plant too. We used to have a bunch of baby tear, which I really loved, but it was decomposing more than it was growing so we got rid of it. Lets move on to fish. The fish we have are four red wag platies. We wanted sunburst at first, but they were won over by another group with a better profile than us, but that’s okay we finally had fish.

Last edited by TechFish5726; 04-06-2016 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typos
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey Guys! Coral (our shrimp in the 5 gallon tank) is going to be getting company in the next week or two. Our teacher has told us that he has more Red Cherry Shrimp for us. We would like to start a shrimp colony, so, that there are many shrimp to go around, and so the species doesn't die off. The shrimp colony would help the environment of Coral and the other Red Cherry Shrimp, and the plants because they would absorb the ammonia. We are just now getting the other shrimp because the shrimp just got sent to us, not too long ago. Also, soon we will be getting neon tetras for our 10 gallon tank. We will only get them if we make our teacher believe we really want them. The neon tetras would be a great addition to our Red Wag Platies. I believe they will give the Red Wag Platies company. Also, at some point we will put in our ten gallon tank a piece of cypress wood. The cypress wood would decorate the tank better and make the tank and fish look better.

Last edited by TechFish5726; 04-06-2016 at 12:08 AM. Reason: additional info
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello. My teacher just informed me that we are getting a couple of male shrimp to be with Coral. Which means we go ahead and start the shrimp colony. Also, in the ten gallon tank we will be getting a betta instead of the neon tetras.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys you have nice day we are but, we have some sad news our snail named Gary died.

Last edited by TechFish5726; 04-20-2016 at 06:10 PM. Reason: We rushed to post and there were grammar errors
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 07:28 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Sorry about Gary.

I would pull that sword in the 5 gallon tank a bit up - it does not like its leaves in the gravel.
Any news on your shrimp colony?

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey Guys! Next Monday we will getting a shrimp colony. Also, our teacher has four crayfish that he is trying to give to us students, and we would like two of them, but of course of their price and value our teacher won't just give them to us with a promise and a wink of an eye ,so we are doing our best to research more about these beautiful creatures, we will give little pieces of advice along the way in case you are interested in them too. For example, crayfish need lots of hiding places to hide to avoid territorial battle between crayfish. Although we don't have a seperate tank to put them in my teacher said we can put them in the ten gallon with the red wags. That sounds okay to us as long as they don't eat the babies, if they have any. That would be BAD!
doggo and doggo like this.

Last edited by TechFish5726; 04-20-2016 at 12:29 AM. Reason: additions
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey Guys!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry it’s been awhile since posted something, BUT I’ve got great news we have got the crayfish we wanted and accompanied Coral with 15 baby red cherry shrimp! Even though they are really small(small enough that we could only see about five of them) we hope we can see them grow up so we can name them all and start a colony. We had to put a pre-filter sponge at the end of our filter though so it wouldn’t swallow up the shrimp. Anyway about the Neon crayfish, we have three of them, (two males and one female) and their names are Candy, Crayon, and Krillen. I think they look really good in the tank and we can’t wait to take pictures so we can show you all who want to see. As our teacher’s Crustacean Crew taking care of the shrimp that we treasure most sounds like a difficult responsibility, but we will all work together to get the crayfish to adulthood.

And thank you turningdizzy for the fish

Last edited by TechFish5726; 05-04-2016 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode