A whole mess of Bucephalandra
arrived this morning. Thanks again, @sumer
The single piece of wood I collected turned out to be T. plicata
and was releasing a lot of aromatics still, so I discarded it. I had to go to my LFS to pick up a few things this morning and, of course, I found a piece of wood while shopping. The wood was attractive and already prepared for the aquarium, so it was an easy sell.
As soon as I got home I embarked on a re-scape. I was feeling pretty apprehensive about the mess I figured I was about to make, but it was shockingly painless! The wood even fit into the spaces left by the stones perfectly.
Here are some horrible pictures of how it turned out:
A little cloudy, but nothing terrible.
It's kind of hard to tell from the photos, but there is a good amount of Bucephalandra
tied to the wood. When I attached it, I thought the wood would be at a different angle than the way it went in best, so a lot of it is facing away from the viewer; just have to wait for it to spread, I suppose. Thinking the L. laevigatum
roots are going to get a good trim on Monday.
Can't wait to see these plants fill out.
All told, I'm really pleased with how this came together. I feel like it's a huge improvement from my previous stone hardscape. In three or so months it should be looking really nice and settled.