Riparian Zone: 12 Gallon Long Journal - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
A whole mess of Bucephalandra arrived this morning. Thanks again, @sumer!

Bucephalandra species added:
'Royal Blue'
'Super Mini'
'Penelope'
'Skeleton King'
'Pink Lady'

The single piece of wood I collected turned out to be T. plicata and was releasing a lot of aromatics still, so I discarded it. I had to go to my LFS to pick up a few things this morning and, of course, I found a piece of wood while shopping. The wood was attractive and already prepared for the aquarium, so it was an easy sell.

As soon as I got home I embarked on a re-scape. I was feeling pretty apprehensive about the mess I figured I was about to make, but it was shockingly painless! The wood even fit into the spaces left by the stones perfectly.

Here are some horrible pictures of how it turned out:

A little cloudy, but nothing terrible.

It's kind of hard to tell from the photos, but there is a good amount of Bucephalandra tied to the wood. When I attached it, I thought the wood would be at a different angle than the way it went in best, so a lot of it is facing away from the viewer; just have to wait for it to spread, I suppose. Thinking the L. laevigatum roots are going to get a good trim on Monday.

Can't wait to see these plants fill out.

Some Tillandsia.

All told, I'm really pleased with how this came together. I feel like it's a huge improvement from my previous stone hardscape. In three or so months it should be looking really nice and settled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Day 98

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Last edited by TaylorTurner; 06-07-2016 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Adding photos
post #48 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Day 101

C. beckettii 'Petchii'

Little peeper.

All of the Bucephalandra has settled in nicely with a minimal amount of melt; I can see new growth on most it, as well. While there is some H. callitrichoides growing in the tank, the E. acicularis has largely choked it out. The Cryptocorynes continue to grow steadily, with handsome foliage to boot. I added a C. beckettii 'Petchii' that I got from my LFS and just ordered in a C. nurii mother plant from a member here.

I am enjoying a brief break before summer term starts and plan to get an emersed-growth set up going on my next days off. I came across some pictures of the soda bottle greenhouses @Seattle_Aquarist uses for emersed growing and will be emulating that. I have room for at least twelve 2 liter greenhouses, most of which I would like to use for cultivating Cryptocorynes.

Last edited by TaylorTurner; 06-14-2016 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Adding photos

post #49 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Day 108

C. nurii from @ddavila06.

post #50 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, my luck with keeping energetic fish in a shallow, open-top aquarium ran out this morning. There is construction going on about a block away from my house, and I don't know what it was that caused it, but there was a loud blast that made my walls shake and sent 6 T. hengeli out of the tank and onto the floor. Worse still, my dog was faster to get to them than I and she excitedly ate them. I'm feeling pretty bummed about what happened, especially since I could have prevented it with some kind of cover.
When I get home from work I will be looking into different options for covering the aquarium. I am thinking stainless steel mesh would be a good option for something low profile that I can cut to accommodate the driftwood and equipment coming out the tank.
post #51 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yesterday morning I observed some eggs adhered to the glass, then when I woke up this morning I saw more on my C. nurii and Bucephalandra sp. 'Pink Lady.' I am pretty sure they are T. hengeli eggs given their placement; "the spawning behaviour of Trigonostigma species has been described many times in the aquarium literature... The eggs are spawned on the lower surface of a large submerged leave or similar structure" (Kottelat & Witte). While interesting, clearly nothing will be surviving to adulthood in this aquarium full of hungry little mouths. Honestly, I am surprised that the eggs have made it this long without all being eaten.

You can see where two eggs have been picked off this leaf, leaving behind two white rings.

post #52 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
A testament to the health of the aquarium though?
TaylorTurner and TaylorTurner like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Fry

Day 113

There is this little fish, the one behind it on the other leaf (blurry), another that is clinging to the glass, and three clinging to the C. nurii leaf. More eggs were deposited on the glass and that makes me question the T. hengeli being responsible for the eggs. The only other option is the Otocinlus, the rest of my fish are non-adhering egg scatterers. Either way, I'm shocked that these have made it!

In other news, I bought 6 T. hengeli to replace those I lost to the jumping incident and also picked up some tissue culture P. helferi at the store. I pulled up some hair grass and planted two small patches of P. helferi in the aquarium and placed the rest in a humidome.

I constructed a makeshift cover for my aquarium out of muslin to hold me over until I make it to the hardware store.

I am expecting some C. dewitii 'Papua New Guinea' and C. matakensis 'Brown' to come in this week. I have a good place for one of the plants to go, but will have to pull some stuff out of the tank to place the other. I will likely remove most of the small C. wendtii 'Bronze,' as once it fills out there will simply be too much of it. I will probably put together an ROAK package with what gets taken out.

Last edited by TaylorTurner; 06-22-2016 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Editing
post #54 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Based on the egg size, those appear to be Otocinclus eggs. I love what you have going here, I would love to try and emulate it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #520
post #55 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy199413 View Post
Based on the egg size, those appear to be Otocinclus eggs. I love what you have going here, I would love to try and emulate it
Thanks for the ID and the kind words. It would amazing if some of the fry survive to adulthood.
post #56 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

C. dewitii 'PNG' and C. matakensis 'Brown' courtesy of @sonicpath.
post #57 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 04:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (32/100%)
nice tank!!!

could they be corydoras? I bred several species and they did love wider leaved plants..though they also used the roots of floaters, grasss, i even found eggs above the water line! great looking tank man, just wait for the nurii to settle down a bit more

Damian Davila
post #58 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Otocinclus fry and a crypt

That's a tiny Otocinclus feasting on some biofilm. I wonder how many more may be roaming about the aquarium.

Leaf detail on C. matakensis 'Brown.' Never mind the dirty glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavila06 View Post
nice tank!!!

could they be corydoras? I bred several species and they did love wider leaved plants..though they also used the roots of floaters, grasss, i even found eggs above the water line! great looking tank man, just wait for the nurii to settle down a bit more
Thanks for the compliment! The C. nurii has had no melt as of yet, and has even grown some, so I think it is taking pretty well. I have been lucky with the last few Cryptocoryne I have added not melting back, so I really hope this trend continues.

Last edited by TaylorTurner; 06-25-2016 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Adding
post #59 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Algae Grower

I love this! I would love to see more of your outside the tank setup, especially the air plants! Also, what kind of rock was that? It is beautiful. Overall, amazing setup! I have CPD's, now I need rosy loaches!
post #60 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc714 View Post
I love this! I would love to see more of your outside the tank setup, especially the air plants! Also, what kind of rock was that? It is beautiful. Overall, amazing setup! I have CPD's, now I need rosy loaches!
Thanks for checking things out! Here's a couple pics of the Tillandsia:

The rosy loaches are definitely awesome. They are entertaining to watch and actually kind of remind me of lizards.

As for the rock, I am not sure about its identity beyond it being some kind of igneous rock that I collected from the Mt Jefferson area. If you're interested, I could see about getting it into a flat rate box and sending it your way!

Tags
12 gallon long

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode