Free Flow - Fluval Spec V - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Free Flow - Fluval Spec V

I'm setting up a new tank, a Fluval Spec V, after having moved out into my own place following a divorce (nothing maudlin about it, just the facts). My ex disliked having a tank around so I put my hobby on hold for a few years and now i want to set one up, I figured I would get something compact to have some shrimp and a few fish and some plants.

The tank will be low tech, using Seachem ferts because they are easy to come by, and I am going to start with the stock light. I've seen some good results with these parameters from other people on this board.

Without further ado, here is picture one. The hardscape. No substrate in the tank yet, Eco-Complete has been purchased, but I anted to get a simple setup. I'm not a great aquascaper, so feedback is solicited before I set up the tank.

Planned livestock is blue velvet shrimp and either Pygmy Corydoras or Celestial pearl Danios. I used to keep CPDs and loved them, pygmy Cories are fun to watch, too, though not as pretty. Haven't quite decided yet. Also considering a kuhli loach but we will see. I know they usually are recommended to have more than one but I have known tanks with only one that seemed healthy and happy.

--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Forgot to mention I painted the back of the tank black. I did that with my last tank and really liked the way it makes the livestock pop.

--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Last night I boiled the wood and decided to drop the stones on the left and it is looking better. Ferts and Purigen come today, I will replace the charcoal with Purigen for this tank. I ordered christmas moss and some java moss and they come tomorrow. I'll likely scape the tank tomorrow night, tying the christmas moss to the "tree" and putting the tree on a bit of a hill to the left of the tank. Java moss I haven't decided, yet. I was going to affix it to one of the rocks on the left and now I eliminated the rocks, but I love watching shrimp "groom" java moss. Suggestions solicited.

Also considering the purchase of a 20" finnex planted 24/7 eventually.

--

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Flooded the tank and added plants, today. I bought a few more rocks but couldn't find an arrangement I liked better. In addition, I will be getting moss tomorrow and will be tying Christmas Moss to the wood, but for now it's bare.

Plants are:

Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis)
Crypt Parva (Cryptocoryne parva)
Crypt Undulata (Cryptocoryne undulata)
Crypt Lutea (Cryptocoryne lutea)
Marsh Mermaid (Proserpinaca palustris)

I also had a Val in there but it fell apart while planting and I discarded it.

Added flourish root tabs at the bases of the plants, dosed Flourish and Excel, added Seachem Prime to the water, replaced the charcoal in the filter with Purigen, and now get to wait a couple weeks for fauna.
doggo and doggo like this.

--

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 12:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchimedesTheDog View Post
Last night I boiled the wood and decided to drop the stones on the left and it is looking better. Ferts and Purigen come today, I will replace the charcoal with Purigen for this tank. I ordered christmas moss and some java moss and they come tomorrow. I'll likely scape the tank tomorrow night, tying the christmas moss to the "tree" and putting the tree on a bit of a hill to the left of the tank. Java moss I haven't decided, yet. I was going to affix it to one of the rocks on the left and now I eliminated the rocks, but I love watching shrimp "groom" java moss. Suggestions solicited.

Also considering the purchase of a 20" finnex planted 24/7 eventually.
Good call dropping the stones on the left -- I think one "look" or "type" of stone works better.

Careful with the 24/7 -- I think it will be overkill in a low-tech setup in this shallow tank. Expect difficulty with algae. If you do it, Plant really heavily and use Excel.

Shrimp will "groom" other mosses that look better than Java. Another idea would be Riccia fluitans tied to a rock or two... though not sure how it will do without pressurized CO2 (anyone know if it likes Excel?).

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by end3r.P View Post
Good call dropping the stones on the left -- I think one "look" or "type" of stone works better.

Careful with the 24/7 -- I think it will be overkill in a low-tech setup in this shallow tank. Expect difficulty with algae. If you do it, Plant really heavily and use Excel.

Shrimp will "groom" other mosses that look better than Java. Another idea would be Riccia fluitans tied to a rock or two... though not sure how it will do without pressurized CO2 (anyone know if it likes Excel?).
Thanks! Yeah, looking instead at the Current USA Satellite Plus or the Finnex FugeRay Planted+ or maybe the Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Clip, the CurrentUSA seems likely at the moment. PAR values are hard to find for these things. :/

--

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay, so today I got some Christmas moss in the mail and decided to attach it to the spider wood. So I tried gluing it, which I did in my last tank with Christmas moss. Unfortunately, it ended up looking like a mess, so I removed the glued moss from most spots and shaved the glue off the wood (cutting my thumb in the process). Then I tied the moss to branches over the shaved spots using black cotton thread. It looks bad but I figured it would grow out and bond to the wood and the thread would rot away.

Then I looked up how long it takes christmas moss to attach to wood and discovered that basically, it doesn't attach on its own. So now I have ugly tied bundles of moss that won't attach.

I saved some of the rest of the moss for the moment and am considering acquiring a different piece of driftwood before I add fish. I like this piece though, maybe I will just remove the moss from the branches and live without moss for the most part except for the little bit glued to the base of the driftwood.

I picked up an Ammonia test kit and a bottle of Tetra SafeStart to help establish the bio filter. Will do that tomorrow. I already dosed a small amount (three drops) of Ammonia to get the local live bacteria's attention.

--

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I really like the shape of your driftwood so I think it's worth salvaging it. Frustrating that the Xmas moss doesn't behave the way you want it to. Wonder if another would. I just blapped some Java on my sticks until I figure out how to get them going properly myself, haha. Good luck with your scape evolution!
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ammonia holding steady-ish at around 5ppm, maybe down closer to 4ppm today? Added the SafeStart yesterday, have been dosing double Excel. Using Flourish twice a week and flourish trace twice a week.

Have decided on Pygmy Corydoras instead of the CPDs just for the variety of the experience, despite my love for CPDs -- I like trying something new. Also decided on the Current USA Satellite Plus for the light. Wish it had a timer but otherwise seems to meet the needs.

Moss is still tied to the wood, I'll likely cut it off before I add fauna but we will see. Marsh Mermaidweed is growing like a weed for sure. Crypt Parva seem to be doing some new growth but also some yellowing. Undulata and Lutea seem to be doing well. Micro Swords are yellowing and browning and might not survive until a new light comes -- I thought I'd get the light this week but the finances didn't work out. I'll replace them if they don't make it.

Thanks for looking!

--

Last edited by ArchimedesTheDog; 03-22-2016 at 03:41 AM. Reason: autocorrect shenanigans
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 06:20 AM
Algae Grower

Nice looking tank. Looks a lot like the one I am starting. I don't see a heater in yours though. One of the perks of living in California I guess.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 07:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (63/100%)
I want to steal that piece of wood for my spec v.

Drunhellar many people put the heater in the portion of the filter box with the pump. It has also been advised when doing so to poke a hole in the return line to create some circulation around the heater.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunhellar View Post
Nice looking tank. Looks a lot like the one I am starting. I don't see a heater in yours though. One of the perks of living in California I guess.
The heater is tucked safely in the pump well, a trick I saw in a youtube video. I need to get a thermometer in the tank, I just hate how they look in a small tank.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickbr77 View Post
I want to steal that piece of wood for my spec v.

Drunhellar many people put the heater in the portion of the filter box with the pump. It has also been advised when doing so to poke a hole in the return line to create some circulation around the heater.
Interesting, I hadn't heard that. I'll have to do some reading on it.

--

post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Algae Grower

Looking good!
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 03:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks good. Somewhat the look in going for. Are those crypts all about the same size? It's hard for me to tell which is which being a noob
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfjourde View Post
Looks good. Somewhat the look in going for. Are those crypts all about the same size? It's hard for me to tell which is which being a noob
The Undulata is a bit bigger than the Lutea. I don't know whether that is usual or not, however. I got the last Undulata of a good size at all in the store.
manfjourde and manfjourde like this.

--

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode