AT LAST! I got my shipment of plants in yesterday from AquariumPlants, and they are gorgeous. I spent all of yesterday planting and scaping both the 55 and 29 gallons, and decided to make them into separate threads.
Size - 29 gallon
Measurements - 30 x 12 x 18
Stand - generic black stand.
Lighting - GLO T5HO 24" 2x24W (11" above water)
Heating - Stealth 100W
Filtration - Aqua-Tech 20-40
Substrate - AquariumPlant's Own & laterite residue.
C02/Ferts - Seachem Flourish & root tabs
Amazon Sword - Echinodorus bleheri
Oval Ludwigia - Ludwigia ovalis
Anubias Congensis - Anubias congensis
Red Melon Sword - Echinodorus Barthii v. "red melon"
Crypts - Cryptocoryne spiralis & Cryptocoryne wendtii
Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus
Windelov´s Fern - Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
Java Moss - Vesicularia dubyana
Aponogetons Ulvaceus - Aponogetons ulvaceus
Water Wisteria - Hygrophila difformis
Dwarf Baby Tears - Hemianthus callitrichoides
Anubias Nana - Anubias barteri var. nana
Fauna: (to come)
3 GBR Gold
6-10 True Rummynose Tetra
I know, plans for a lot of GBR. BUT I'm getting them young, and I plan to have only one or two males. I will eventually divide them upon pairing off, and move the remaining to my 55 gallon or a new 40 breeder <~ and this is where the A. ulvaceus will go as a centerpiece once it blasts its way out of this tank. For now, though, the fast-growing ulvaceus will help to soak up the nasties.
I need a cleanup crew, but I don't want them to disturb the GBR..? Also, the java moss strapped wood is floating and will eventually form a nice arch once it sinks/is tied down.
! When I began, I made just about every mistake possible with this tank, it was sort of my experiment. And it was ugly. White, thick gravel, a cruddy stock light, too much melting hornwort..-Shudders.- Then I broke it down, moved, and set it back up recently and made even more mistakes. I filled it, being too impatient to order a nice substrate, with black gravel. Once I received my plants, I panicked that the gravel would be too heavy..and poured in a ton of laterite..without washing it. Then, there was the red dust of death over everything
Yesterday I spent a LONG time emptying it, scooping the horribly unattractive laterite/gravel mixture out, and replacing it with something finer. Talk about a pain. Eventually I just capped the remaining laterite dust very carefully to prevent its escape.
I know I should have broken up the HC more, but I had 3 pots, and they had very short roots, and I have very short arms.
I hope to have a carpet of it, and I also hope the ludwigia survives and bushes out because it's beautiful..but I originally ordered ludwigia repens and ovalis was substituted. I'm not sure how ovalis will do because I don't run CO2, but I'll eventually try Excel. Fingers crossed!
Oh, and I'll be getting a black background.
Thoughts & comments welcome! I'm happy with how they both turned out.