29 Gallon GBR Tank - Filled & Planted! (56K warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
29 Gallon GBR Tank - Filled & Planted! (56K warning)

AT LAST! I got my shipment of plants in yesterday from AquariumPlants, and they are gorgeous. I spent all of yesterday planting and scaping both the 55 and 29 gallons, and decided to make them into separate threads.

Breakdown:

Size - 29 gallon
Measurements - 30 x 12 x 18
Stand - generic black stand.

Lighting - GLO T5HO 24" 2x24W (11" above water)
Heating - Stealth 100W
Filtration - Aqua-Tech 20-40
Substrate - AquariumPlant's Own & laterite residue.
C02/Ferts - Seachem Flourish & root tabs

Flora:
Amazon Sword - Echinodorus bleheri
Oval Ludwigia - Ludwigia ovalis
Anubias Congensis - Anubias congensis
Red Melon Sword - Echinodorus Barthii v. "red melon"
Crypts - Cryptocoryne spiralis & Cryptocoryne wendtii
Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus
Windelovīs Fern - Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
Java Moss - Vesicularia dubyana
Aponogetons Ulvaceus - Aponogetons ulvaceus
Water Wisteria - Hygrophila difformis
Dwarf Baby Tears - Hemianthus callitrichoides
Anubias Nana - Anubias barteri var. nana

Fauna: (to come)
3 GBR
3 GBR Gold
6-10 True Rummynose Tetra

I know, plans for a lot of GBR. BUT I'm getting them young, and I plan to have only one or two males. I will eventually divide them upon pairing off, and move the remaining to my 55 gallon or a new 40 breeder <~ and this is where the A. ulvaceus will go as a centerpiece once it blasts its way out of this tank. For now, though, the fast-growing ulvaceus will help to soak up the nasties.

I need a cleanup crew, but I don't want them to disturb the GBR..? Also, the java moss strapped wood is floating and will eventually form a nice arch once it sinks/is tied down.

Now! When I began, I made just about every mistake possible with this tank, it was sort of my experiment. And it was ugly. White, thick gravel, a cruddy stock light, too much melting hornwort..-Shudders.- Then I broke it down, moved, and set it back up recently and made even more mistakes. I filled it, being too impatient to order a nice substrate, with black gravel. Once I received my plants, I panicked that the gravel would be too heavy..and poured in a ton of laterite..without washing it. Then, there was the red dust of death over everything.

Yesterday I spent a LONG time emptying it, scooping the horribly unattractive laterite/gravel mixture out, and replacing it with something finer. Talk about a pain. Eventually I just capped the remaining laterite dust very carefully to prevent its escape.

After:

I know I should have broken up the HC more, but I had 3 pots, and they had very short roots, and I have very short arms. I hope to have a carpet of it, and I also hope the ludwigia survives and bushes out because it's beautiful..but I originally ordered ludwigia repens and ovalis was substituted. I'm not sure how ovalis will do because I don't run CO2, but I'll eventually try Excel. Fingers crossed!

Oh, and I'll be getting a black background. Thoughts & comments welcome! I'm happy with how they both turned out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice start! It is great to see someone else doing a non Co2 injected tank. Most inject cash and Co2 into their tanks. I am trying to do non- Co2 the cheap way. With your tank I envision some wood or black rock in front of the purple plants and then anubias in front of the wood. Black rocks I found for a $1 at a Dollar Tree store.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Very nice start! It is great to see someone else doing a non Co2 injected tank. Most inject cash and Co2 into their tanks. I am trying to do non- Co2 the cheap way. With your tank I envision some wood or black rock in front of the purple plants and then anubias in front of the wood. Black rocks I found for a $1 at a Dollar Tree store.
Haha, all my money has gone to the light fixtures. The wood that's floating will eventually be exactly where you said. It's got java moss strapped to it and will form a sort of green archway, and eventually a 'cave' once the ludwigia ovalis bushes out.

I got an itch to start DIY CO2 to give the HC carpet a push, but I couldn't find the yeast packets I used to use for microworm cultures..so I won't try anything yet. :P

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewesterngate View Post
I got an itch to start DIY CO2 to give the HC carpet a push, but I couldn't find the yeast packets I used to use for microworm cultures..so I won't try anything yet. :P
You could just buy the active yeast packets in the grocery store.

Where did you get the wood? Do you know what type it is?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
its in the baking isle.

small packets of like redstar yeast. Every grocery store has them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah, I know, but the urge came at 2am and I decided against going to buy some. :P

Most of the wood I use is from a large maple branch I pilfered from the park that had fallen after a storm. This wood is some kind of hardwood from the same park that I shaved the bark off of..not sure what it is specifically.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Week Update: February 12, 2010

Last but not least, my soon-to-be GBR tank. Everything is growing pretty well!

Picture time:

FTS:

Nice growth on the ludwigia ovalis:

And just a nice little shot of the HC and A. ulvaceus because I love them:

Cheers!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

very nice
can't wait to see it with your GBRs, where are you getting them?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
very nice
can't wait to see it with your GBRs, where are you getting them?
Thanks! My LFS keeps gold GBR in stock, and are ordering the regular blue/yellows for me. Their little guys are around 1.5 inches and healthy as everything, without steroids. I can't wait until the tank is fully cycled!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay, so..a small update. I have an otocinclus (originally two) and a clown pleco in this tank. The oval ludwigia WAS doing very well until I started trimming it due to it growing out of the water and being burnt by the lights. Now that I cut them and replanted the tops, the bottoms are dying. It's ridiculous. Also moved the A. ulvaceus to my 55, and those quaint little grassy crypts? Yeah. Apparently they weren't named properly, because they're like two feet long (I'm exaggerating a bit, but they're going crazy)! I'll be moving those to my 55 as well.

The HC is dying, not sure why, but I might be replacing it with HM. I also took out the java moss (too stringy for my taste) and added driftwood for the clown pleco. The water and glass are kind of crazy clear, which is nice. Pictures coming soon!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You may want to spread the stems in the back a little farther apart. If you're trying to get that nice 'bushy' look, just let them grow and trim them and re-plant the trimmings. Where you've cut, two new side shoots will pop out.
It's just that if you keep them too bunched together, the lower leaves will start to melt/rot away due to lack of light, leaving bare stalks/stems with just leaves at the tops.

So far you're looking good though. Keep us all updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post
You may want to spread the stems in the back a little farther apart. If you're trying to get that nice 'bushy' look, just let them grow and trim them and re-plant the trimmings. Where you've cut, two new side shoots will pop out.
It's just that if you keep them too bunched together, the lower leaves will start to melt/rot away due to lack of light, leaving bare stalks/stems with just leaves at the tops.

So far you're looking good though. Keep us all updated!
Thanks! I have since spread them a bit, they were beautiful at one point, but seem to have started melting from where I cut them (stem and leaves)..although the side shoots (several from the tops or bottoms, or all over in some cases) are still growing.

I had a little incident where my DIY CO2 sucked tank-water in, and I sometimes forget to fertilize them..so that may have plenty to do with it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode