29 gallon rip/shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
29 gallon rip/shrimp tank

This is my 29g rip/shrimp tank that has been set up for three months.

Tank Specs:

29g AGA tank, old and scratched, but ya use what ya have
Fluval 304 Canister filter
Catalina T5HO 3X24W hung 10 from top of tank
Koriela1
Mineralized Top Soil capped w/3M black quartz
Submersed Plants: Wisteria, Anubias, Crypts, Aponogeton Crispus, Java Moss tied to some drift wood, some clover, and Hygrophila, Giant
Rip plants from left to right: Dracaena Magenta and Purple Perfection (Psuderanthemum Atropurpureum) in the same planter, purple waffle, Fittonia Juanita or Fittonia Argyoneura, and Spath "Petite" Nana.
Dosing Excel 3x a week

I have about 7 yellow shrimp in there and a couple of nerites. I originally bought a dozen yellow shrimp from a guy on aquabid. They were so tiny, I was afraid to net them into the tank. Since they were the only inhabitants in the tank, I thought it wouldnt do any harm to dump the shrimp and water they came in along with the acclimation water into the tank. BIG MISTAKE, I now have planeria in the tank also. Ive been wiping the planaria out of the tank as I see them, but Im sure its going to be a never ending battle. Sigh, live and learn. Im going to add more yellow shrimp to the tank from local aquarist in a couple of weeks. The original shrimp have grown 5x their original size. Im hoping to have baby shrimps in a couple of months.

Ive been experimenting with rip plants in this tank and my 75 gallon. Devon from Riparium Supply has been a wealth of information. I decided to raise the water line to the top on this tank, and keep four rip plants in the middle. I like the way this tank has turned out.

The submersed plants have been growing slowly, but consistently. I was dosing EI 3x a week, but stopped when I added the shrimp. Ive read conflicting reports on dosing shrimp tanks. If the plants start to die off Ill start slowly dosing again.

Whole tank shot:

Rip plants:

Tank shot:

Since were snowed in for the next couple of days, Im going to read up on photography. I just cant get a decent shot of the shrimp in the tank.

Thanks for looking all.Loni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Very Nice. Thats going to look real nice, once its all filled in.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I tried to get some decent pics, just didn't happen. Below are the best two I could come up with.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Nice job. Another 29G riparium! You guys that are doing the planters at the top of the tank are starting to make me itch to give it a whirl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nue View Post
Very Nice. Thats going to look real nice, once its all filled in.
Thanks! The emersed were growing much faster when I was EI dosing. I'm hesitate to start that up again as I'm afraid it will inhibit the shrimp from breeding. Anyone out there have any comments on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJG View Post
Nice job. Another 29G riparium! You guys that are doing the planters at the top of the tank are starting to make me itch to give it a whirl.
Thanks! You should try it. It's something fun and different to add to your tank. I've found I've started looking for reasons to go to Home Depot now, when I really just want to see what house plants they have gotten in...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
I know exactly what you mean... I actually just came back from the Depot to find something new to try. I guess we'll see if Oregano can grow in a trellis raft in about a week.
I'm still rocking the ~40% water level in mine right now.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Hey that looks super.

I wonder what are those plants in the left-most planter...and have they grown much in their planter?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yes, there is big controversy of shrimps and dosing. I don't do it on my shrimp tanks, as i notice they start to disappear, go into hiding, and don't move around a lot. I wouldn't recommend it if your wanting to get a nice colony going.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Hey that looks super.

I wonder what are those plants in the left-most planter...and have they grown much in their planter?
Thanks Hydro! Two plants: Dracaena Magenta and Purple Perfection (Psuderanthemum Atropurpureum). Gottem from HD and planted them on 12.20.09. As you can see, the purple perfection has grown a lot, but the leaves are coming in green. The Dracaena Magenta drops all it's spikes at first, and grows new ones when in the rip planter, but growth is VERY slow.

Pic taken 12.20.09:

compared to today's pic:

The purple perfection is lighter, but looks very healthy and is growing nicely. The Dracaena Magenta has 8-10 new spikes on it, but growing really slow.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nue View Post
Yes, there is big controversy of shrimps and dosing. I don't do it on my shrimp tanks, as i notice they start to disappear, go into hiding, and don't move around a lot. I wouldn't recommend it if your wanting to get a nice colony going.
Sigh, not what I wanted to hear. I have mineral top soil capped with 3M black quartz in this tank, hopefully that will keep the plants going.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonloco View Post
Sigh, not what I wanted to hear. I have mineral top soil capped with 3M black quartz in this tank, hopefully that will keep the plants going.
Keep fertilizing, you should have no problems as long as you're doing it right. The shrimp problems are usually due to other factors.

-Andrew
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Oh now I remember when you planted that P. atropurpureum. That is so interesting to see that it has grown well like that. I presume that the roots have grown firmly in the planter cup(?). I gotta watch out for that one. It would make a nice centerpieces in among green plants.

Don't you think the MTS will be enough for your underwater plants? If you wish to keep fertilizing your riparium plants, but avoid adding much ferts to the water column you could try just dripping a few drops of fert solution onto the planter substrate surface from time to time.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Oh now I remember when you planted that P. atropurpureum. That is so interesting to see that it has grown well like that. I presume that the roots have grown firmly in the planter cup(?). I gotta watch out for that one. It would make a nice centerpieces in among green plants.

Don't you think the MTS will be enough for your underwater plants? If you wish to keep fertilizing your riparium plants, but avoid adding much ferts to the water column you could try just dripping a few drops of fert solution onto the planter substrate surface from time to time.
Thought I'd jog your memory on that one. It was posted in my 75g rip journal. Which btw, I'm redoing sometime this month, as soon as it stops snowing buckets on us and I can be sure we're not going to lose power!

As far as the MTS, I have two tanks set up with the same exact substrate, this 29g and my 120g. The 120g I went thru a green water/diatom bloom, followed by a slight GSA problem. I didn't dose the 120g at all, and didn't do weekly water changes either. I started 1/2 dosing EI twice a week, and doing 20% water changes weekly, the GSA has really been reduced. This tank I dosed from the start, as well as 50% water changes weekly. I've had NO problems with any type of algae in this tank at all. Both were set up w/in a few weeks of each other. I can't say if the lack of dosing in the 120g, or the dosing in the 29g was the cause of the algae in the 120g, or lack of algae in my 29g. I'm just trying to figure this stuff out as I go, ya know?
So I guess to answer your ?, I don't know if the MTS will be enough for my underwater plants. I can only wait and see.....
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hill View Post
Keep fertilizing, you should have no problems as long as you're doing it right. The shrimp problems are usually due to other factors.

-Andrew
Now that's what I wanted to hear...LOL....but, Andrew, tell me, what does "as you're doing it right" mean? I follow EI guides for 20-40g dose. I typical dump the dry ferts directly into the water column. Would it be better to mix the dry ferts with some tank water?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
EI was developed for submersed plants, and high light aquariums. It has always been recommended that if you have lower light levels you should cut the recommended doses in half, or even dose just once a week. Our ripariums tend to have low light because the light has to be raised up to light the planter cup plants, and because those plants shade the water. But, the planter cup plants and especially the raft plants all absorb nutrients from the tank water, in addition to what the submersed plants use. This has convinced me to use approximately 1/2 the EI dosages on my ripariums, primarily to feed the raft plants.

When I had red cherry shrimp I was dosing full EI dosages, in a high light tank. My initial batch of 12-15 shrimp grew to over 100, before I added some fish that thanked me for the delightful shrimp cocktails. Now I have none, but it wasn't the fertilizing that was the problem. Chrystal red shrimp, and others of that family, seem to be a bit more sensitive to water conditions, so it might be possible that overdosing fertilizers could affect them. I kind of doubt it though.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode