1st entry - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1st entry

From a member of https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...classroom.html

We are very dedicated in our planted aquarium. Our class has learned a lot from the beginning of the school year, and our horizons have expanded greatly. We have added quite a bit to our aquarium in the recent months. We have a natural wood hardscape with Black Diamond Blasting Sand substrate. For the materials needed to keep maintenance in check, we have one Aquaclear-20 filter, Aqueon 50-watt heaters, and a single-bulb T8 fixture hung 18 inches over the substrate. Our tank contains a variety of plants, such as Baby Tears, Ludwigia Repens, water wisteria, water sprite, Frogbit, Java Moss, Rotala, water lettuce, guppy grass, Cabomba, anacharis and Pennywort. In terms of animals, we have some Fancy Guppies in our tank, as well as a few Ram’s Horn snails.

In the future, our we dream of our tank being vibrant with beautiful plants, such as Corkscrew Vallisneria, Cryptocoryne, Dwarf Hairgrass, Hygrophila compacta, Marsilea Minuta, Pygmy chain sword, Amazon sword, and Lilaeopsis. We plan to add peaceful, yet exciting creatures such as freshwater tropical fish, shrimp, and African speckled dwarf frogs.

Fraternity of Dirt #179

Last edited by sunset_beach; 03-14-2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
@Atomic Hazard @Aquamarine121 are the other students in this group.

@RWaters, your floating glass figurine found a home here!
doggo and doggo like this.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66

Last edited by Method; 03-14-2016 at 09:20 PM. Reason: added tags
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 03:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Ha ha! I wasn't sure if you'd use that glass figurine! I knew the plants, books and magazines would be useful but at the last minute I decided to add the glass figurine thinking that maybe some of your students would like it. Maybe it can be like an aquatic version of elf on the shelve and move from one tank to another.

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 03:00 AM
Algae Grower

Hey there! Looks like you've got a real jungle growing, lots of action in this tank. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but I see you almost completely covered the heater with the driftwood, I think that helps keep the tank looking more natural. Do you have any ideas for fish you'd like to keep in here?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
Hey there! Looks like you've got a real jungle growing, lots of action in this tank. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but I see you almost completely covered the heater with the driftwood, I think that helps keep the tank looking more natural. Do you have any ideas for fish you'd like to keep in here?
We would like to have maybe some peaceful to semi peaceful fish with a group of two of bottom feeders like shrimp.

Fraternity of Dirt #179
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New tank!

This past week we have gotten another 10-gallon tank. There is nothing in it but red root floaters, and our group is working on getting it fully cycled. We want your opinion, what types of plants and fish do you think we should place in our tank?

Fraternity of Dirt #179
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 06:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset_beach View Post
This past week we have gotten another 10-gallon tank. There is nothing in it but red root floaters, and our group is working on getting it fully cycled. We want your opinion, what types of plants and fish do you think we should place in our tank?
If possible, how about a shrimp only tank where the goal is to try and breed? Perhaps Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS) only? This way, you'd be able to see what a given species needs in order to thrive through its various life stages.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

By the way, this is the first DIRTED tank in our class! Expect three new members for the Fraternity of Dirt!

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

SunSun Pimp #66
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 12:57 AM
Algae Grower

Yes, like Method said, the secondary tank my group has is currently a "Dirted tank".

In order to do this my group and I were guided through the steps of successfully creating a "Dirted tank". First we emptied out the tank and then poured about an inch of potting soil in the middle (not touching any of the edges of the tank except for in the back). After that, we capped off the soil fully with an additional inch of Black Diamond Blasting Sand substrate. Then we carefully poured water back and red root floaters afterwards.
For the future layout, do you think our new tank's base should be flat or mountainous, and why?

On the other hand, to anyone who has had any experience with a "Dirted tank" what are some things that we should watch out for? Also are there any tips you would like to give?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 01:57 AM
Planted Member

@Aquamarine121 As an alternative way of answering your questions above, I'd like to pose some questions to your group:
1) Is your substrate inert or active? What are some benefits/tradeoffs of each?
2) Will the future flora/fauna your group plans on keeping in there affect whether you should use a flat or mountainous scape? How so?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 11:00 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibebian View Post
@Aquamarine121 As an alternative way of answering your questions above, I'd like to pose some questions to your group:
1) Is your substrate inert or active? What are some benefits/tradeoffs of each?
2) Will the future flora/fauna your group plans on keeping in there affect whether you should use a flat or mountainous scape? How so?
Answering your first question:
For our most recent tank the substrate is active. The most beneficial type of substrate between an active and an inert substrate is an inert substrate. A benefit of having an active substrate is that you won't have to worry about the plants that need that extra nutrients from the substrate, because the substrate already contains those nutrients. It also does a great job of lowering pH. If you wouldn't mind having to put in tabs or powder of nutrients/fertilizers, having an inert substrate would be no problem. There may not be a great amount of benefits for inert substrate, but with inert substrate, if you are strict about the pH level of your tank, you can use inert substrate and not worry about it changing your pH level, because it doesn't change anything about your tanks water.

Answering your second question:
Yes, the future flora and fauna our group plans on keeping would most definitely affect whether we would use a flat or mountainous scape. In a mountainous scape, the choice of plants and height of them may be shorter only including moss type plant or rosette, with rock-like hardscapes like slate. A flat scape could be an assortment of plants, short and tall, rosette or stem, drift wood or slate, and even maybe moss.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nicely done Aquamarine121! I'm impressed!

We're going to have fun setting up that tank after spring break. Let's make sure to check the cycle every day. You guys are advanced enough to have total control of plants and animals!

SunSun Pimp #66
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:21 AM
Planted Member

Aquamarine121 thank you for fantastic and thorough answers! I have only one minor comment about when you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine121 View Post
[...] The most beneficial type of substrate between an active and an inert substrate is an inert substrate. [...]
You laid out some of the benefits between each nicely, so I would counter that which one is "best" will depend entirely on the aquarist's desired maintenance regimen and any current or future flora/fauna. What are some of the planned flora/fauna that you would like to keep?

In other news, I did some rearranging of my nano tank today, and took out the remaining Wisteria and Water sprite (1 large plant each) so that my other plants such as Pogostemon erectus and S. repens don't have to compete as hard for nutrients. Would your group like it, or know of anyone in your class that could benefit from two fast-growing stem plants? There will probably be some strands of chain sword/java moss in there as well.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibebian View Post
Would your group like it, or know of anyone in your class that could benefit from two fast-growing stem plants? There will probably be some strands of chain sword/java moss in there as well.
Our group would love to have some wisteria,water sprite,chain sword,java moss to help our tank flourish.Our group can't wait to get some new beautiful plants in our tank.

from,https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...classroom.html

Fraternity of Dirt #179
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 03:37 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset_beach View Post
Our group would love to have some wisteria,water sprite,chain sword,java moss to help our tank flourish.Our group can't wait to get some new beautiful plants in our tank.

from,https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...classroom.html
I sent this in the mail yesterday, so keep an eye out for a package from me tomorrow!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode