zeldar's 40 gallon breeder - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
zeldar's 40 gallon breeder

Well, I finally got my 40 gallon breeder completely planted which has been running for well over a year. This is actually my first fish tank so I started out as a classic beginner. For some reason I bought red pebble gravel, fake plants and an aqua tech filter from walmart. It came with the standard single light tube from Petsmart. So for over the first year of its existence it was rockin' a 20watt 6700 bulb. Needless to say I had no clue going in about planted tanks. It just steadily grew on me and I finally bought a new light fixture. A couple of weeks ago I got a 36" 6700 dual T5HO 78watt so its still low light but should be able to keep most of the plants happy.

As for the inhabitants, its a wide collection of random fish. I had a pair of angelfish (who started first in the tank) for over a year until one up and died out of the blue a couple days ago.

Plants are the same story. Just added them one by one to where the pictures are today.

Tank: 40 gallon breeder
Light: 36" dual T5HO 78watts total 6700k
Filter: a random aqua tech HOB, a random tetra HOB, and a Aquaclear 70
Substrate: inert red gravel
co2: nope
ferts: Flourish every other day
flora: narrow leaf java fern, bolbitis, windelov java fern, MM, regular java, anubias petite, marimo ball, dwarf hairgrass (just testing it, don't think it will last), a little bit each of peacock moss and fissidens, and I can't remember the stem in the back middle
fauna: 1 koi angel, 11 cardinal tetra, 4 rummies, 6 espei rasbora, 2 gold dojo loaches, 3 panda corries, 3 otos, 1 longfin calico BN, 2 nerites, and soon to be 3 hillstream loaches

fts

right

left

from the side

angel fish

mm and hairgrass

All the little white dots all over the driftwood is nerite eggs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 03:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to nickcamp12345
I would buy some excel at least because the T5HO's put out a lot more light than the 78watts since they are high output lights.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 03:34 AM
Algae Grower

nice I like the rocks w wood did something similar myself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I added a bunch more plants to the tank in the last couple months. There is now narrow and regular java fern, peacock moss, pygmy chain sword, subwasserang, bolbitis, anubias petite, and rotala. The plants are doing alright, not too much growth. I think the problem is the pH is too high for plants to flourish. I still get BBA on the plants that are in the upper half of the tank, it looks pretty crappy but not much I can do about it.

The stocklist is as follows:

5 dwarf rainbows
6 espei rasbora
3 panda corries
6 cardinal tetra
2 dojo loaches
2 nerites
1 bristelnose pleco
1 hillstream loach (hopefully invertz factory has these on their next list)
1 vampire shrimp (never see him)
~25 cherry shrimp

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Algae Grower

that's quite a garden you got there. awesome~
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
nice start!

do you plan goiing pressurized?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Keep us posted about the "Good, the Bad, & the Ugly". Enjoy watching the progress over time.

farmhand aka Clifford aka Grandpa

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well its time for a little update on my hoss. I haven't looked at these old pictures in a while, but it looks like the plants have filled in quite a bit.

There is now regular java, windelov, and needle leaf all in here. Its doing very well ever since I added a paintball pressurized co2 system on this tank. I am only pumping about 2 bubbles per second but it keeps the algae to a minimum and gives the plants a little boost. I added some pygmy chain sword to the substrate, and was really not expecting it to spread at all but its suprised me. Its spreading like crazy even though the substrate is just gravel. If you look in the left side picture below you can see a bizillion nerite eggs. Had I known that nerites lay eggs like that, I probably wouldn't have gotten them. I think it makes the driftwood look dreadful. Oh well...

The stock list is still similar. I did add a siamese algae eater because BBA was getting out of control. That little guy blew my socks off, after about 2 weeks, BBA was nowhere to be seen. An amazing little cleaner, that guy. I also added a couple more cardinals so the total is up around 10. I was at petco several months ago getting filter supplies and saw a couple bamboo shrimp. They are my fav shrimp so I had to get a couple. The lovvvvveeee riding on the bolbitis and java fern in front of the power head. They basically don't leave the current, so much so that they start growing BBA on their bodies and antennaes until they shed.

fts

right side

left side

pygmy chain sword

bamboo shrimp ridin the wave

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Love it!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Christin!

Tanks progressing nicely. The carpet is spreading a nice as i could have hoped for, especially with only inert gravel and a couple root tabs. I did add a couple crypts to the front left and some anubias to the front right.

There are also ~15 endlers that I added, most being males. I removed the aquaclear 70 and replaced it with an eheim 2213. So filtration should not be a problem for me as there is now the eheim and a fluval 405 on this tank. Probably over filtering but the tank is probably overstocked so it can only help.

chain sword

crypt corner (if anyone can ID these, please do. I am not familiar with crypts)

anubias corner

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
One of them looks like wendtii green.

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Love those ferns in the back =)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are some updated pics. Not much has changed other than new growth. The crypts have really grown in since the last update. I did get one new crypt, a nurrii. Its absolutley gorgeous and probably the nicest plant in the tank. The bolbitis is growing MASSIVE. I sold some of the stems and they mesured over 16" long. The java fern is kinda taking over and basically engulfs the driftwood on the right side. I was thinking about doin a major trim on it but I kinda like the look of the overgrown right side. What do yall think?

overgrown right side

center

left side (bamboo shrimp ridin the wave lol)

chain sword

c. nurii

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Holy crap man. I think its is safe to say you have a green thumb. I really like the common man "thrown together" feel of this journal. That bolbitis wall for a background is kinda nice.

Good stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode