Join me as I hop on the pressurized co2 train (20 gallon long) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Join me as I hop on the pressurized co2 train (20 gallon long)

Hi All. I just added a pressurized co2 system to my tank. It's a 20 gallon long (only 12" or less depth) with eco-complete substrate. It's got a finnex stingray which isn't very strong but there is this video showing 30 par in a 20 HIGH. I'd assume I'm getting more than 30 par since my tank is quite a bit shallower. I'd say I'm in the "medium" light range. I'll probably upgrade eventually, but I don't want to get any plants that will just die due to not enough light.

I'm following seachem's dosing recommendations for beginners with Seachem Potassium, nitrogen, phosphorus, iron and trace. I have root tabs but I think I will stop using them unless a specific plant needs them.

So gere's my tank: http://i.imgur.com/6gtbxNd.jpg

It's only got plants from pre-co2 days: Jungle Val, Crypt spirals, dwarf sag, and 1 really sad crypt parva.

It's hard to tell from the pic but some of the plants are struggling. The dwarf sag's new growth is almost white and the older crypt spiralis as well as the dwarf sag was darkening around the edges. I had co2 for a period of time without fertilizers so I think that caused it. There's a little bit of green algae on the rocks that i think is just because I don't have enough plants.

What I really wanted to discuss was what plants I should add. I think i'm going to do a mini-rescape. I want to remove the jungle val and make the left drift wood be poking out of a pretty bushy left side. I'd like some red's right in front of it.

In the middle I'm thinking stauro. repens. I want to keep the dwarf sag as a middle ground around the drift wood and rocks, but I want something lower on the right side.

I'm also thinking of moving all the crypt spiralis to the left side and then keeping the right side to have a lot of vertical space.

For the left I'm thinking blyxa jap., hopefully a red or two like Alternanthera reineckii or Ludwigia red. Limnophila hippuridoides is beautiful too so maybe that. I need to research all of these to make sure they'll match my tank.

Whats your thoughts? any plant ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think your ideas sound good and that you should give your plan a try. After you get finished, I would really like to see some pictures of your rescape. Before and after pictures would be very interesting. The plants that you are planning on adding will add some colour and variation in leaf shape.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of sky View Post
I think your ideas sound good and that you should give your plan a try. After you get finished, I would really like to see some pictures of your rescape. Before and after pictures would be very interesting. The plants that you are planning on adding will add some colour and variation in leaf shape.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I want some variety in color and leaf shape. I want a semi iwagumi style on the right side though so I'm not sure what plants or carpeting plants I want.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode