Novice 90g vivarium tank (wish me luck) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Novice 90g vivarium tank (wish me luck)

Hey guys, this is my first post so go easy on me.

I've stumbled into possession of a 90 gallon tank (4ft long x 1.5ft wide x 2 ft tall). I don't currently have any lights, filters, pumps, substrates, living things, or any real knowledge about what I'm doing.

What I do have is a ton of ambition, time, and a decent amount of money(a few hundred dollars is doable), and a knack for building and learning.

I haven't taken any pictures just yet, but in a lucky break it appears to be the same tank alanzhao posted here

Here's my current (rough) plan

Everything below the level brown plateau will be underwater. They yellow level would be substrate, but I might not extend it past the pool on the left hand side because I'm not sure I want to grow anything in the little river. I'm thinking roughly 7" deep. Which gives about 10 gallons of water depending on exactly how much land I leave. The two red circles would be intake and outtake for a pump, possibly with a small waterfall on the left hand side. I plan to have at least a small lizard living on the land.

Which brings me to some questions:
What kind of small fish would be happy in 10 gallons of lightly flowing water?
Do you think I will have problems with erosion? I'm considering putting a layer of plastic on the edge of the dirt and sealing it down with some silicone.

Since I have to start with a tank that is probably not optimal for a beginner, what are some basic plants that are pretty tolerant?
maintenance animals?
Recommended filters, lights, pumps?
What do you think I'll screw up first?

I don't expect you guys to tell me everything, I'll be reading through this site( lots of great stuff here). But I just wanted to say hi, and get something posted.

I'll be posting back as this comes along. Hoping this doesn't end in disaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a 10g vivarium myself and I am going to change it to a community tank. I did some research and I came across a couple of beginner, 10 gallon fish:
Neon Tetras
Betta
Guppys
Minnows
shrimp (any shrimp should be fine)
Australian Blue Pearl Lobster
Mystery snails

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode