65 Gal "Tall" journal (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
65 Gal "Tall" journal (56k)

My old planted tank reborn! Started this journal 4 weeks into it so this post is catching up a little. Last time this tank had plants in it (2 years ago), I had serious algae issues and gave up. This time I'm trying to do it the right way:

65 AGA tall
110w 9325k PC + 75w 8000k T-8 (approx 2.9 wpg)
XP3
magnum 350 running pleated cartridge
pressurized CO2 with modified Rex reactor
koralia 2
flourite, eco complete, & plain gravel (50/20/30)
EI dosing+excel

I had full blast CO2 & EI going before I put plants in. I planted about 60 plants all at once.

So far 4 weeks into it I have a little bit of BGA, diatoms, and hair algae. They are all pretty small amounts and I have been able to manage them with cleanup kritters, excel, H2O2, and cleaning. The ottos and BN pleco have been great for the diatoms. I may have to hit the hair and BGA with a blackout if they get much worse, but for now I'm focusing on growing healthy plants to hopefully beat those out.

Plant growth is good and so far the only plant I haven't been able to grow is lilaeopsis. Oh well, I chucked it for some dwarf hairgrass which is already starting to grow and hasn't gotten the algae crud (yet).

Flora:
Ludwiga, rotala, melon sword, kleiner bar sword, hairgrass, bacopa, pennywort, vals, lotus, and a few others.

Fauna:
2 full grown angels, 4 otto's, BN pleco, 2 SAE's, 1 opaline gourami, 12 amano, lots o MTS.

Thanks for looking!

Week 1:

Week 2:

Week 4. Rearranged a little, added some more bacopa from LFS and added 60w more light:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love tall tanks. Bet that was a pain planting. gotta have some long arms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, yep I'm 6'4" so it works pretty well for me.

Here's week 5. The pennywort and rotala swapped places. The rotala seems to want to grow sideways, is this normal?

Brown algae is gone (waiting it out + oto's is a great way to deal with this). Hair algae has subsided, BGA is about the same but I don't let it cover more than a few rocks befoe I nuke it with h202, still having to do that daily. Plant growth is great, just started adding 2 tsp/week mgso4:

Last edited by hallzoo; 02-12-2010 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Bigger Photo!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Planted Member

Thumbs up

Lookin good man

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Algae Grower

Mine grows any direction it happens to choose.. sideways, up.. I never really have a choice.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

I wish the damn BGA would go away...

I feel a blackout coming on
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
u could always try a garra or a SAE
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's week six, starting to feel what "balanced" might be all about. Took out BGA w/EM, no problems with that process whatsoever, highly recommended if you can find a cheap source of antibiotics. I also improved surface movement and overall agitation, vacuumed the gravel, and upped my NO3 slightly. Hopefully this will provide a long term solution to my BGA issues:

Here's some plant closeups now that I have some great growth going on:

Bacopa Australis

Your basic Wal Mart "plant bulb" - Red Lotus, just starting to throw up some lily pads.

Water Wisteria, finally learned how to prune this one. Instead of getting frustrated about brown/algae covered lower leaves, just hack em' off!

So far good. Tom Barr's EI method + lots of CO2 + lots of cleaning and attention = success!

Thanks for looking!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cheers again to Tom Barr and all the other great plant folks out there! I couldn't have made this work if you guys didn't share your knowledge.

Here's some pearling pics from the end of week 6. My plants are growing like they are on steroids:

Rotala Indica

Pennywort

Red Lotus

If you look closely you can see the whirlwind of bubbles in the tank. After about 5 hours of light the tank is so saturated with CO2 and oxygen that you'd swear I was misting (I'm not, only using a Rex style reactor). I think max'd out CO2 has really helped the plants to grow to thier full potential. The CO2 comes on 1.5 hours before the lights, and my DC is full on yellow about half way through the photoperiod. My fish are usually breathing a little harder by the end of the photoperiod, but still active and eating. Add to all this about 1300 gph of circulation (magnum 350, XP3 and a koralia 2) and it's quite a madhouse in there. I'm pretty sure there isn't a square centimeter of the tank that isn't at 30+ ppm CO2 during the last half of "lights on".
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Looking good !!!

Hey with 1300 gph those fish are just exhausted, trying to maneuver the current, LOL

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals:

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

65 Gal "Tall" journal (56k)**updated 2/26/10**

Week 7, showing growth after a major trim last Sunday:

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
What the green plant in your foreground? The one closer to the right?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bacopa Australis. Got a small bunch from Freshwateraquariumplants.com and it just took off!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update for the week of 3/8/10. Battled murky/green water last week so didn't get any photos. All I have to say is thank God for UV clarifiers:

Thanks for looking! I love this tank!!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Moved some stuff around. Week of 15 March:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode