this is a long over due journal, as the tank is currently almost a 1 year old. So I am writing this journal back ward.
Along the time, the tank has been modified a few times...
When I created this tank, it was intended for discus. So initial it was just a bare carpeting tank with one centerpiece hardscape in one corner of the tank...
July 13, 2015
the few days later start adding some monte carlo
September 5, 2015
some stem plants to absorb the excess nutrient
you see, almost 3 months onward, there is no significant growth on the plants. Later I found out that due to high consumption of the discuss, the nitrate in the water was well above 70ppm, i didn't measure the phosphate, I assume it was comparable. it was too much for new tank setup
September 12, 2015
I added Calmistratum, it was not part of the initial design, but I got it as inheritance
. Little that I know at that time that calmistratum is a slow growth plant.
I took out the stem plants, because it was heavily plague by algae.
in retrospect, what was i thinking? If stem plants couldn't grow, let alone calmistratum.
2 October 2015
I started adding glosso, hoping that glosso would do well
28 October 2015
By late October, I cut the calmistratum, because it was plague by algae. many of its parts got rotten.
this was the time I realized the nitrate concentration was so high, that no plants could thrive.
stem plants and the discuss also gone. I donate the discus. I was ready for a start over
November 13, 2015: A start Over
after the discus gone, I was able to control the nutrient in the water.
I was pretty success in growing nice carpeting glosso.
November 28, 2015
this was the highlight of the tank
November 28, 2015
by now the glosso has grown so thick.
i didn't know then that i had to trim glosso regularly, to prevent it from up root and floats away.
at this time everything was thriving. no visible algae at all.
look how thriving the cryptocoryne was. the calmistratum has grown back as well.