75 Gallon Community Planted - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
75 Gallon Community Planted

So, this is a craigslist find. It's in excellent condition, included excellent condition stand and canopies as well along with other extras.

I have an 80 Gallon Bowfront that everything is going to transfer to this one. I have other plans for it, and that journal is here.

This one will become my primary tank for a while.

Here is how I found it and bought it tonight. The stand is backwards underneath of it. It is dirty, but there are no scratches that I could find, I won't be sure until I clean it up. The stand and canopy show no signs of water damage and only one ding on the canopy (you can see it on the right hand side of the photo).

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...602017&thumb=1

It came with two Pengiun 350 Bio-Wheel filters but I plan to transfer my AquaClear 55/75 to it along with all my substrate, plants, and fish. I will also be using my 36" Aqualife 2x39W T5HO and my 24" CurrentUSA 2x24W T5HO lighting above it. I plan to zip tie them into the canopy for the moment until I get a nice setup to install.

I'll post more pictures tomorrow when I bring it inside and clean it up.
Attached Images

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got the tank cleaned up. Caught all the fish into a bucket. Now draining the 80. Here's some better pictures of the tank and stand.

After some vinegar scrubbing. :-)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

My Tanks

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks nice enough, you can get the tough stains off with rubbing compound and just hose it off again.
Are you going to re-varnish or oil the wood for protection?

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
It looks like with a bit of work you have a good setup. I am interested to see where this is going.

Here fishy fishy.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Since I already have fish, plants, etc.. and I felt my 80 Bowfront Stand is just flat out unstable I had to swap to this one ASAP. The stand on the 80 bow front, after 3 shims to get it level, felt rocky. I could just see my 8 year old son bumping it wrong and the hole thing going over.

So today the tank got a vinegar + water bath and is all setup. Yes I will be oiling the stand and at some point lacquering it all as well to prevent any water damage from ever happening as I think that is part of what is wrong w/ the bow front stand (water damage on the bottom).

I picked up an XP3 Canister Filter w/out Media for $60 today so tomorrow I'm picking up media and swapping out the two Aqueon POS HOB Filters (yes they are POS, noisy and the impellers keep catching and stopping).

I also picked up some fake driftwood for cheap until I can find the driftwood I really want in the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457563240407.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	602777  

My Tanks

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll add pictures later today. I added two more plants yesterday from Petco. :-/ They are nice plants with one being an Anubias on Driftwood and the other being about four Java ferns on a coconut shell. I figure I can transfer those two other Driftwood later.

I also got the XP3 up and running with New Media and took the hang on back filters out of the tank. I am considering putting the powerhead I got with the tank in to increase water flow.

I also added three German blue Rams. I can't seem to get my money to come up which is probably due to the Eco complete but I'm showing nitrates in the system so I felt comfortable adding three more fish. But I also seem to have had two tetras completely disappear between last night and this morning so I need to pick up a couple more to keep my group above 6.

My Tanks

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Picked up some driftwood and Moss. Here is what the tank looks like now.

My Tanks

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I haven't tanked a new picture but thought I should update.

I added a Marineland C-360, but now I'm figuring out spray bar options. I also ordered a Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 for this tank. It will be here Tuesday.

I also swapped to a different Anubias plant and put the driftwood attached one in another tank (another story).

I also added 4 Cory Panda's and a few more tetras.

Right now I'm on a wait and see on this tank for a week or two. I want cardinals in the tank, but I'm thinking of looking into various top swimming fish so the tank is more active.

My Tanks

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I swapped filters to fast after switching to this tank from the 80 and ended up with Nitrite issues.

It's finally back under control but I lost a panda cory and at least one ram.

My Finnex 24/7 came in and it's on the tank. I'm looking at options to mount it into the canopy.

I have plants coming in sometime this week (hopefully), but possibly next week.

I'll take pictures tonight or tomorrow. Waiting on a replacement phone.

My Tanks

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So as promised new picks. I'm still looking for rocks and I have a few more plants coming.

This is with the finnex 24/7 on max.

This was in the evening (7pm roughly).

My Tanks

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And yes I need to fix my background. l

My Tanks

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I fixed the background, added some rock, and rearranged since plants should be here tomorrow. I wanted an idea of how it would look.

Personally I think the rocks are just to big for a 4' tank and I will probably break them apart some more tomorrow.

My Tanks

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

After doing some thinking and reading and getting more plants and I did some changes to my Aquascape. I'm going to add co2 next week and I'm thinking about getting some dwarf hairgrass.

My Tanks

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Have Fun with the 75g!!!

They are a GREAT size to create some AWESOME Aquaecapes!!! You sure got some bright light it seems!

One thing I have noticed in the pics is you are using one of those $9 digital Thermometers, and while they are easy to read, I have found with 3 different ones I have bought at the same time, all 3 read different temps in the same tank with the probes placed side by side!!!! When I then placed my 10 year old Little Time and Temp that has a short in the screen, so it flickers on and off, NONE OF THE $9 were correct when checked with a calibrated temp probe on my Multi-Meter when my Little Time and Temp was .1 degree off the $9 ones were off anywhere from 1.5-3 degrees!!!!!!! So BE CAREFUL WITH THOSE CHEAP THERMOMETERS!!!!! I will NEVER waste my money on one AGAIN!!!! I will spend the $18-$22 for a Little Time and Temp or The $30+ for the Big Time and Temp with the Adjustable temp alarms, because the one of those I had before lasted 15+ years and worked flawlessly until I dropped in the tank unknowingly and it was submerged for a few hours! That finally killed it!!! I had splashed it with water, and submerged it quickly once or twice then pulled the batteries asap and put it in a bag of dry rice for 24 hours and it was fine!!! And it was spot on accurate when checked with my Multimeter!!!

So anyway Sorry for the long post, but I have been up for 30+ hours, and I get a little long winded when I am sleep deprived!!! LOL

I am excited to see all of your tank develop in the following months!!!

Take Care and Keep Your Plants Happy!!!
Drew

Thanks and Take Care,
Drew
------------------------------------------------------
Algae: the BANE of my Aquarium Life! It's ALL WAYS GROWING where I DON'T WANT IT TO, and NEVER where I NEED IT TOO!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, that little $9 petco thermometer is going back. It's the biggest piece of ****. I have two plain old mercury thermometers and I'm planning to get 3 more when I return the digital. I bought it because I wanted to confirm the readings on a mercury one and the mercury one isn't quiet accurate enough to confirm what I suspected was happening. I didn't care as much about what the digital read as long as it showed consistent or climbed, which it confirmed the previous heater in this tank had fried and wouldn't shut off accurately. Two week old Aqueon.

Right now though I think, other than some foreground, this tank is going to sit this way for a few months. I want to add some carpet and short foreground plants right up front, but I need to rearrange fish soon as well so I want to wait until that is done.

The light is just a single Finnex Planted Plus 24/7. That was taken about early afternoon (both time and settings).

My Tanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode