30gal Planted (First tank ever ) 56k warning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Exclamation 30gal Planted (First tank ever ) 56k warning

Greetings Planted Tank.

I have been lurking about the shadows unregistered for about 3 weeks now. I finally worked up the courage to go ahead and join and share my journey of a complete novice from start to finish.

I will be doing this with my brother and step father for a 3 pronged attack. I got the tank from a friend for free including stand and whats left of the eclipse hood.

GOAL: Create a minimalistic asymmetrical scape. I would like drift wood on one side with a lot of tall plants and then have it slope down to a carpet.

MATERIALS:
-Owned-
-30gal Tall glass rimmed tank
-Eclipse hood (missing all pieces except hinged doors and light strip, no filters)
-Black stand

-Plan on Purchasing-
-Eheim 2215 Can filter
-Jager or vistherm stealth heater 200w
-Flourite black sand substrate

-Plants-
-I dream of HC after all the awesome tanks i have seen but i dont think i am skilled enough yet.
-moss of various forms. I would like a moss wall too maybe.
-Dwarf Hairgrass
-Myrio (this is cool looking)
-prob will just end up with whatever at first tell i get established

-Live Stock-
-killifish (i like Fundulopanchax gardneri looks a lot)
-Rams of some sort ( i like the german blue and the gold, electric blue is nice but $$)
-couple otos
-snails
-shrimps (something colorful)
-open to anything else that is colorful

I am extremely open to suggestions on all equipment, plants and fish. This is my first time doing this. I am super excited!

Well thats all i have for now. I plan to order the filter and the substrate with in a day or so. Would the eclipse hood lights be sufficient for the time being or do i need to upgrade? Also how long should wait after i put plants in tell i get fish i was thinking about a two week's was enough time for plants to cycle?

thanks to all who read this!

_OiZO

Last edited by OiZO; 02-04-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
2-3-2010 update

Update

Placed order on parts with bigalsonline dot com

Checked prices on several sites and big Al's ended up having the same or better pricing.

I got Eheim 2215 plus kit, Hydor Inline heater, seachem flourite 2x 7kg and some test kits and thermometer.

Once i get the stuff i will post some more pictures.

Also has anyone tried or know about ( sorry i dont have enough posts to link yet):

Seems like a decent price and i'm thinking i might go this route when i eventually replace my broken eclipse hood.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's not really meant as the main source of lighting. It's mostly used in marine aquariums to give them "shimmer".

I would look into a coralife T5 strip. Normal output, not high output.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:37 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
i have the T5 light stips on my 28 gallon bowfront and i love them. the only down fall is the price per bulb whihc is 12-15 each. but they give great amount of light.

if you wait im breeding the electric blue rams by summer i should have some to sell for much cheaper. but your tank needs to be well established for them. also look at water temps and where your fish come from that you want to keep so it makes it easier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode