Mr. Aqua 17.1g - Project Old Tree - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By dukydaf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mr. Aqua 17.1g - Project Old Tree

Trying out another scape here in a 17.1g Mr. Aqua. This isn't my ideal tank setup, but I couldn't resist a good deal.

Hardware:
Tank - Mr. Aqua 17.1 Gallon
Filter - Eheim Pro 2224
Lighting - Aquaticlife 24" t5HO and Fugeray 20"
CO2 - 5lb tank with Milwaukee regulator (I think), spiral bubble counter and ceramic disk diffuser.
Soil - Azoo mixed with osmocote+

Since I picked up the entire setup for a good price, I wanted to see what I could do with what I had already. Kinda of a challenge to see what I could do.

Plants were supplied by my 3gal nano, HC Cuba, Blyxa, Christmas Moss, fissidens fontanus, S. Repens, DHG Belem was a donation.
The Utah Dragonstones and some driftwood came with the tank, I added manzanita that I already had.

I didn't plan the layout much, it was supposed to be my grow out tank, but I decided to scape it a bit.

Started with HC DSM:

Flooded after 5 months wait:
I started with very little HC cuba, and I wasn't hitting medium/high light area. With both fixture, I was only hitting about 40 par using Hoppy's DIY par meter, I know its fairly good because it was very close to rated par values for a new Finnex FugeRay. I'm thinking the T5's are old, and so is my 20" finnex. Ordered some new T5 bulbs.

So I didn't like how bare the tree looks, and added more christmas moss.

I've been looking at the scape, and something isn't quite right, might be the S. Repen that is planted in the back, or just overall. I also feel like there should be something filling behind the mass of wood. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your tanks looks good but you are right it does have this unfinished look to it.

I think the S. repens will look better when it grows a little bit taller and thicker. For the 'gap ' right from the Blyxa you can place some Rotala 'colorata' there. It will give a nice spalch of color and add some dynamism.

A few smaller suggestions. My eye is bothered by the overlap between the rock in front and the branch that ends behind it. And the height of the carpet + bare corners are distracting from the beautifull aquascape.

Looking forward to updates.
Opare and Opare like this.

On hiatus till later this year
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I agree with Duky, lookin good! I would also recommend going for moss that 'sticks' more to the wood, rather than the sort of blobs from the christmas moss (e.g More of the Fissidens spread out across the branches).
Also agree with Duky that a colourful stem at the back would be a great addition. Also wait for that Java fern to fill up more it will make the tank feel more complete.
Any plans for critters, or you going plants only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
thanks! I like that idea of red plants to the right of the blyxa. Will look into that.

I agree on that branch going behind the rock, I'm thinking of letting the moss grow over that whole area, to hide the effect a bit.

The java fern on the right, I think I have narrow leaf ones to more on the middle area, hopefully when that fills in, it'll soften up the driftwood look.

Thanks for the input guys, keep em coming and stay tuned.

now of to hunting for more plants....
and waiting for new T5HO bulbs to come in.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode