2Likes
  • 2 Post By SNAXX
  • 2 Post By Coasty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Talking 80 Gallon Bowfront - Community Planted

This is a work in progress but decided I should start a journal.

First, I'm not 100% sure this is the I will stay with as I wasn't expecting the dimensions to be as they are. It's 48x18x25 3/8, but the outside edges are 13" with the center being 18". Although I do enjoy the look of a bowfront, it may be harder to aquascape than I was hoping with those outside edges.

I do plan to do a bunch of upgrading but "over time". It's the constraints of budget.

Current setup:
80 Gallon bow front w/ Pine Stand and Canopy
2 x Aqueon 55/75 Hang On Back Filters
1 x Aqueon 300W Heater
1 x Current USA 24" Dual T5HO Fixture
1 x 36" Dual T5 HO Fixture (not sure on brand, getting it out of storage tomorrow)

Substrate is 80lbs of Ecocomplete and 20lbs of Petco Black Sand

Nothing else in the tank yet.

Yes the 1x 24" is currently sitting on top of the canopy. The canopy is not in the best of condition. I'm going to have to build it out but figured I would do that when I work on proper lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160306_221224663.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	601201  

Last edited by lnstevens; 03-10-2016 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Wrong tank size listed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So new update. I went to get plants today and ended up getting 6 ember tetras (little fish, little load). Well 4 out of 6 died in the bag and the local LFS took those back and I got the last ember tetra and 4 glow tetras. With a 90 gallon tank I figured I would be safe with a small amount of small fish.

I also found the local fish club on Facebook and got start for another plant and ended up with 3 bristlenose pleco. :-). Now I just have to keep an eye on my water.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I got a new to me 75 here.

I knew there was more I wanted to do this this bowfront, other than discovering it's a Marineland 80G, so I decided to do it.

I intend on emptying it, replacing the upper rim, rebuilding the stand and canopy, etc... I want to completely buff out the tank of all scratches.

Then I want to set this up with an overflow.

But this project is now on hold for a bit. The tank and stand/canopy are going in my garage.

My Tanks

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The stand was just too rickety and I didn't feel safe with it around my 8 yo son. So the tank is currently tore down.

I intend on working on the stand first, then the canopy, and eventually getting to the tank.

I figured out it's an old Perfecto 80 Gallon BowFront and perfect for Discus. I emailed Marineland to see about getting a replacement trim and possibly a bottom panel w/ corner overflows since I want to completely disassemble the tank and buff it/reseal it anyways.

Bump: The stand was just too rickety and I didn't feel safe with it around my 8 yo son. So the tank is currently tore down.

I intend on working on the stand first, then the canopy, and eventually getting to the tank.

I figured out it's an old Perfecto 80 Gallon BowFront and perfect for Discus. I emailed Marineland to see about getting a replacement trim and possibly a bottom panel w/ corner overflows since I want to completely disassemble the tank and buff it/reseal it anyways.

I'll keep this updated as I work on the project.

My Tanks

Last edited by lnstevens; 03-10-2016 at 03:01 AM. Reason: missed part
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 03:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like the big bowfront tanks. I have a 72 gallon bowfront. I would love for it to become a 75 gallon tank however. It's tough to plant in the tall bowfronts. The shape makes it hard to obtain depth with the harscape as well. Here's a pic of mine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1457583488544.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	602841  

Seetide and Seetide like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You've done a really nice job. I was thinking a lot of the same things but with 27 inches height for discus I think it's worth the challenge. :-)

My Tanks

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 04:25 AM
Planted Member

27" deep?...... You're going to need a wetsuit to aquascape. lol. It gets much tougher once you have a decent amount of hardscape and plants in there. You may want to invest in some 13" aquascaping tools. Good luck. Can't wait to see how it goes for you.

A side note, thank you for being to first person to give me feedback on my tank. A compliment to boot. I've posted pics in a few threads, never had anyone comment on it. Which is of course the whole reason we post pics on here. I'm no skilled aquascaper but the tank looks much better in person. My iPhone 6s Plus camera just doesn't do it any justice.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yep, 27". :-). And I'm considering replacing the tank with a 30" x 95 gallon tank and just reusing the stand and canopy. Marineland got back to me and stated the tank has been discontinued for 4 years. They gave me the part number for the trim and basically wished me good luck in finding it. lol

I think your camera did fine. :-). The only thing I don't see much is fish. Some schooling fish or some larger fish (angels, discuss, rainbows, etc...) Would look nice in that tank. :-)

My Tanks

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Algae Grower

That's a shame you had to take down your 80 bow! I loved the bowfront.. I just finished building a stand for my 46. here's the thread,

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...1014697?page=1

It wasn't too difficult to build, Hope you get that tank up and running again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1457734348579.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	603881  

Name:	image_1457734372838.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	603889  

Seetide and Seetide like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I saw that and it looks really nice but I'm going to rebuild the canopy and stand I already have. The tank is the only thing in question right now and that's because I need to find the trim piece.

Before I set it back up I am redoing everything because I don't want to tear it down again. :-)

My Tanks

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Algae Grower

That's a huge tank, I thought mine was big and wow that's double. What was the brand? Marineland?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's actually Perfecto prior to Marineland buying out perfecto. Marineland said the tank was discontinued about 4 years ago but was able to give me the part number for the trim if I can find it anywhere.

My Tanks

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 07:21 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnstevens View Post
Yep, 27". :-). And I'm considering replacing the tank with a 30" x 95 gallon tank and just reusing the stand and canopy. Marineland got back to me and stated the tank has been discontinued for 4 years. They gave me the part number for the trim and basically wished me good luck in finding it. lol

I think your camera did fine. :-). The only thing I don't see much is fish. Some schooling fish or some larger fish (angels, discuss, rainbows, etc...) Would look nice in that tank. :-)

Lol Well, at least they gave you some info. Are Discus the reason you want a tall tank? The regular or long tanks can handle so much more of a fish load than a tall, is why I ask. Bowfronts are nice but they do limit the load compared to a reg or long as well.

Ha too funny... I actually can't put any more fish in there, I'm pushing 100% stocked. I have smaller species in there. 20 Endlers, 18 Golden Pencilfish, 12 Corys, 6 otos, 6 Amanos 5 Ghost Shrimp, 3 Gold Rams, 2 Gold Apple snails, 2 CPO crays and assorted "pests". I'm a fish lover first and foremost so having a heavily stocked tank isn't a question. It's just how my tanks turn out. That tank is vibrant and active in person.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I picked this up because of price. Around here bow fronts are not that common and always expensive. Years ago I had a 46 gallon bowfront and always thought a larger one would be fun. :-)

I paid $125 for the tank, canopy, and stand.

And height is one of the reasons I want to keep it and rebuild the tank. I want a show tank with Discus. It's going to take work though due to the aquascaping and grow out time. Being a tall tank plants will take a bit to reach the top. ;-)

As for yours you should take a video since it appears your fish are camera shy. ;-)

My Tanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode