BMueller's 7.5g Nano Cube 1'x1' Journal (Pics 56KW) Update 2/11/10 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow BMueller's 7.5g Nano Cube 1'x1' Journal (Pics 56KW) Update 2/11/10

Sup guys,

So instead of just day dreaming about a tank set-up I finally decided to go to the glass shop and order some pieces: (3) 12"x12" and (2) 11-3/4"x12". So with a little planning, half a roll of blue painters tape, and 2 tubes of silicone I was able to finish sealing the tank. Went faster then I thought, was able to tape it up and seal it in under an hour. This is my 1st time doing anything "big" with silicone so I decided to put borders up with the tape to prevent silicone all over the glass (see below). Hopefully it works.

As you can see there is a 1/4'' of a border around the seams. I have a 1/4'' piece of wood that I'm going to use as a straight edge along with a razor blade or two to get straight lines.

As far as lighting goes I have a clip on desk lamp from Home Depot, Hampton Bay 60W max with a 23 watt CFL 5,000*K. I'll post pics soon after the test fill.

I also have a Tom's Mini Rapids canister filter which is rated at 80 GPH. I found a thread about modding it by taking out the flow control so I may give that a try.

Not sure what kind of heater I'm going to go with... Open to any suggestions.

CO2: DIY 2 liter bottles in the beginning, might upgrade to a hi tech system once the money flows a little more in my direction... I had to spend $500 on books this semester

For ferts I may go and get a package off of pfertz.com with some root tabs. Anyone know of good root tabs? Are they worth it even?

I'm debating in between Eco Complete and Florite as a substrate. Any suggestions?

Fish: At the moment the main inhabitant will be a Betta, might get a small schooling group, Rummies, Neons... Some shrimp maybe, 2 or 3...

As far as plants go I wanna try and get a nice HC carpet... Not sure I should try and tackle this on my first real go around with a planted tank... (I planted my 45g tank a few years ago and had somewhat successful endeavor ) Also some Balyx (sp?) Was also thinking about a moss tree with some Christmas moss or Java moss.

Any other plant suggestions are welcomed by all means. Actually any suggestions or whatever is welcomed more so wanted.

Thanks for looking,
-Brian

Last edited by BMueller777; 02-11-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It looks really nice...something to be said about making your own aquarium.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMueller777 View Post
CO2: DIY 2 liter bottles in the beginning, might upgrade to a hi tech system once the money flows a little more in my direction... I had to spend $500 on books this semester
I feel your pain, man. I only took 3 classes this semester and still paid almost $400 on books. Don't get too mad, though. I've known people in nursing school who have paid over $900 per semester on books.

I'm still using DIY CO2 on my 10 gallon because money has been tight, but it's still working like a champ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
how many tubes did you use?? i just built this same tank like 2 days ago and i didnt even use a half of tube of silicone but it looks GREAT
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhay View Post
It looks really nice...something to be said about making your own aquarium.
Thank you very much, it was my 1st attempt at making my own hence all the excess tape on every side. I wanted to avoid silicone everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody636 View Post
I feel your pain, man. I only took 3 classes this semester and still paid almost $400 on books. Don't get too mad, though. I've known people in nursing school who have paid over $900 per semester on books.

I'm still using DIY CO2 on my 10 gallon because money has been tight, but it's still working like a champ...
Yeah the college life's hard at the moment lol This wasn't even my worse semester, last one I had to take a Bio class with a lab and the two books for that class alone was $350 lol... Yeah, for the most part my Criminal Justice major has some relatively cheap books, my girlfriend who's an accounting major spends insane amounts on books, they're all huge ones too lol..

As for your CO2, what's the set up like? I.e. yeast to sugar ratio, amount of water etc...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesharp View Post
how many tubes did you use?? i just built this same tank like 2 days ago and i didnt even use a half of tube of silicone but it looks GREAT
I had AGA 3oz. silicone tube from a while ago and I went and brought another, good thing I had the two though because I pretty much used both of them, hopefully I have enough to hit the outside seams a little bit before I razor blade the tape off and do a test fill.

I'll have an update by tonight most likely after I finish redoing the room to accommodate the new tank... Gotta put up shelves and build Ikea furniture haha

-Brian
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMueller777 View Post
As for your CO2, what's the set up like? I.e. yeast to sugar ratio, amount of water etc...?
I'm not very scientific with the mixtures, but I'd say it's around 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 tsp of yeast, 1/4 tsp of baking soda and I fill the water up to the top of the "wrapper".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I'm not very scientific with the mixtures, but I'd say it's around 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 tsp of yeast, 1/4 tsp of baking soda and I fill the water up to the top of the "wrapper".

True, good to know. Are you using just one bottle? How long does it last? Also, does the CO2 come out slowly through out the duration of it reacting? Or does it start heavy at first and then slow down to a halt after it's done?

I wouldn't what the pH fluctuating every time I added a new mix.

Thanks,
-Brian
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm using one bottle. I usually replace the mixture after 2 weeks, sometimes sooner if I notice my bps dropping significantly. There is a huge burst of CO2 when the reaction starts, so I let it sit overnight before adding it to the tank.

That reminds me -- I need to go change it out!

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I'm using one bottle. I usually replace the mixture after 2 weeks, sometimes sooner if I notice my bps dropping significantly. There is a huge burst of CO2 when the reaction starts, so I let it sit overnight before adding it to the tank.

That reminds me -- I need to go change it out!
Nice. Thanks.

-Brian
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update

Okay so I didn't feel like waiting til tonight to take the tape off lol... So I got a ruler and a razor blade and ended up with this:

Angled inside view ^

Top view ^

Left side view ^

Right side view^

This is going to be the front of the tank ^ since it has the cleanest looking silicone edges according to the misses haha.

Whatcha guys think?

Thanks,
-Brian

P.S. Water should be in the tank tonight, possibly with light, filter and back ground up...
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

fill them up!
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
looks great man keep it up... good job on the silicone

did you use 1/8 inch think glass????
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Algae Grower

nice looking seams good job
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
I like the left side waaaay better than the right side.

But really, nice looking tank.

Feeling adventurous? Maybe check out my current
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumushummus View Post
fill them up!
I just put the bag of Eco-Complete and 4 Zebra rocks in and hooked up the mini canister filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesharp View Post
looks great man keep it up... good job on the silicone

did you use 1/8 inch think glass????
Thank you very much and yes, I did use 1/8th inch single strength glass. The tanks actual volume due to displacement from the 20 lbs of Eco-Complete and 5 pounds of rock give me about 4.5-5 gallons of water (just doing the math off the top of my head)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nskylinerb-25 View Post
nice looking seams good job
Thanks, it was definitely worth taping it all up and then just using a razor blade and ruler to cut it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
I like the left side waaaay better than the right side.

But really, nice looking tank.
Thanks, yeah this was my first time actually making my own tank and working with silicone. Might have tried smoothing out seams a bit too long after I shold have thus the defined/imperfect seams.

I'll add pics of the set up once I add water in a little bit.

-Brian

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode