120G rimless neglect tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
120G rimless neglect tank

The tank was originally a reef tank and I moved everything in it to a smaller tank. I spent a couple of days cleaning it. Honestly I have no idea what to do with it. The only thing I am kinda sure is it has to be able survive long period of neglect.

The tank has a sump but I chose not to connect it. After a decade or so running a sump I am questioning the need for it, seems like it just is one more thing to clean. But everything is hooked up and ready to roll if I decide that I need it.

The tank is a custom job. Seems like there is a lot of potential, but I am lazy and for me a tank of this size is a pain to work on. Most of the stuffs are from my reef tank, even the silica sand substrate. There are bits of calcium carbonate (precipitates, dead coralline algaes, shells and what not) in the sand, which I tried to remove as much as I could but removing all is impossible. I hope that it won't drive up my pH too much.

A Tunze 6045 and 6065, from one corner pointing at the opposite corner, most flows goes to surface agitation and creating tank wide indirect flow, but very little high velocity flow. Total turnover rate is 25x or so. Probably unnecessary high, but I have no idea what to do with those pumps anyway. I am tempted to get rid of the 6065 as it is the loudest thing amongst all the pumps in my 4 tanks.

An Eheim Skim 350 hidden in the overflow box, and tap water line for top offs or water change.

LED spotlights from eBay, on a light holder that I made with cooling fans. I don't really like the colour. There seems to be a greenish tint to me. I am not so sure if it is the bulb or the tank glass. Or may be I am not used to seeing this tank with white light. The lights I had on this tank was always bluish.

Since I intend to neglect this tank, there are lots of limitations that I have to respect. Stocking has to be light, plants and fishes have to be hardy. My current plan is to have only plants that are tied to stuffs, like anubias or java fern, and lots of floating weeds to soak up nutrients. I don't want to deal with planting a tank of this size. It will probably look minimalist, not too much plants and fish, lots of negative space. Hopefully it won't look too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue View Post
The tank was originally a reef tank and I moved everything in it to a smaller tank. I spent a couple of days cleaning it. Honestly I have no idea what to do with it. The only thing I am kinda sure is it has to be able survive long period of neglect.

The tank has a sump but I chose not to connect it. After a decade or so running a sump I am questioning the need for it, seems like it just is one more thing to clean. But everything is hooked up and ready to roll if I decide that I need it.

The tank is a custom job. Seems like there is a lot of potential, but I am lazy and for me a tank of this size is a pain to work on. Most of the stuffs are from my reef tank, even the silica sand substrate. There are bits of calcium carbonate (precipitates, dead coralline algaes, shells and what not) in the sand, which I tried to remove as much as I could but removing all is impossible. I hope that it won't drive up my pH too much.

A Tunze 6045 and 6065, from one corner pointing at the opposite corner, most flows goes to surface agitation and creating tank wide indirect flow, but very little high velocity flow. Total turnover rate is 25x or so. Probably unnecessary high, but I have no idea what to do with those pumps anyway. I am tempted to get rid of the 6065 as it is the loudest thing amongst all the pumps in my 4 tanks.

An Eheim Skim 350 hidden in the overflow box, and tap water line for top offs or water change.

LED spotlights from eBay, on a light holder that I made with cooling fans. I don't really like the colour. There seems to be a greenish tint to me. I am not so sure if it is the bulb or the tank glass. Or may be I am not used to seeing this tank with white light. The lights I had on this tank was always bluish.

Since I intend to neglect this tank, there are lots of limitations that I have to respect. Stocking has to be light, plants and fishes have to be hardy. My current plan is to have only plants that are tied to stuffs, like anubias or java fern, and lots of floating weeds to soak up nutrients. I don't want to deal with planting a tank of this size. It will probably look minimalist, not too much plants and fish, lots of negative space. Hopefully it won't look too bad.
I don't think you need to run those fans for those leds is they are just E27 "cool whites" off [Ebay Link Removed] If they ever become bothersome, that is.

A DIY kinda GUY
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I run most of those bulbs fanless for years, some of them can last for years. It's a hit and miss, but these surviving ones are fine. The problem with these cheap crap is they have way undersized heat sink. LED chips are meant to run under 60 deg C. They are way too hot to touch in operation and definitely way above spec, at least in our tropical ambient. When they fail, it's always one of the chip's forward voltage has drifted too high due to overheating. Replacing the failed chip would revive it, but it's a PITA to keep doing it. Running them cooler also improves their efficiency and reduce colour drift and makes them last longer.

That said, small bulbs like these I don't normally bother to run fan, but the light holder was previously used to run much bigger bulbs for reef.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 03:22 PM
Algae Grower

Talk about potential
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:58 AM
Algae Grower

I know you said you wanted low maintenance, but that setup screams Discus to me
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would take that tank, put it on a full sided stand, redesign the light holder a little so it's on the sides, same with the Sump attachments, and centerpiece that tank in a living room, but that's just me.

I can't comment on the PH thing, but being that your a reef person I suspect you can monitor that.

Some good neglect plants for a tank like this would be Anubis and Crypts along with Mosses as these are slow growing. You would probably want shrimp with a setup like this, due to the neglect (keeps algae down, etc..) so I would think out your plants and fish around those.

This is one of those that if you put a lot of time into the setup, you can design a tank that is literally designed to be limited maintenance. I.e. put the food in it daily and check on it once a month (could even skip the physical action of food w/ an automated feeder).

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Like I said earlier, I really had no idea what to do with it. So I spent the last month or so researching ideas. I even considered oddball ideas like cray fish. I did consider discus, which the main thing is of course water change. Water change isn't too hard to execute on this tank, the bathroom is just behind the wall (which is the reason the tank is there). A hose could drain the tank straight to the bathroom, and I only need to open a tap to fill the tank back up. But even with that, I have no idea how long I can keep up with that. Not completely off the table though.

I had a 20G tank that I almost don't do anything to it. It doesn't look great, but it doesn't look like crap either IMHO. So most likely I would replicate it. The only type of plant in it is anubias. There are also amano shrimps which outlived most of the fishes.

The plants, drift woods and the filter sponge are from the 20G, which I intend to turn into something else. I bought a dozen pink zebra danios, although 1 jumped today. They swim all over the tank, which in a way made the tank look less bare. I find them rather unnatural looking in a tank with plants. I don't know if it is because I am aware that they are genetically modified, or pink just doesn't go that well with green.

I initially wanted dwarf gourami, but it seems that they can't be trusted with shrimps, which I suspect I would want.

The scape is temporary, will need more plants.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Bought more plants and wood.

Earlier I said I was planning to have lots of negative space, I think we are way past that. I can't say I am happy with the result, it's busier and messier than I would like. To my eyes it also looks nicer in photo than in real life. I think I have way too much large plants and not enough small plants. May be spreading everything out would help, but that means I would have to redo everything.

That said I think I still want 2 more small plants for the front right. After that I think I am all done plant wise.

After the tank mature a bit then I can start adding algae crews.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Rearranged the pieces a little bit and I think I am done. I hate working on a tank this tall. May it be long before I have to dip my hand in it. However there are concerns on a few species of anubias here if they can survive submerged.

Earlier I thought my lighting has a green hue, now I think I have green water. This is the first time I have green water in my decades of aquarium keeping! I thought it is strange that it started so early, it started a day after I filled the tank, before I added any plants and fish. The water is also brown from the new drift woods.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do a heavy (50%+) water change and cut your lights in half for a few days. That should clear it up. I think it's looking nice but I agree that pink doesn't sit quite right.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am not so worried about the green water at the moment so long as it doesn't get too out of hand, I suspect once the bacteria and the plants got established it would go away on its own. I think it's due to the decomposing tiny critters and organics in the sand that I didn't quite get rid. I also fertilised the water too soon (right after I filled the tank). But I'll let the wood soak for a month and then do a big water change.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Algae Grower

nice tank...
i have very similar tank like yours (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...-aquarium.html)

is it 80cm high?

with tank that size, it is quite a challange to fill 80% of that tank with plants.
I understand you have realized that..

you don't need to fertilized the tank if you only have anubias and other slow growth plants. maybe some micros.
the fish food provides plenty of macros for anubias.

anyway , of you decide you want some more challenge:
this tank would be perfect for discus.
here some idea for discus tank from takeshi amano's book. it is minimalist.

if you decide to combine discus and planted tank aquarium, make sure your tank has matured before bring in the discus.
I learned it the hard way (see my journal)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	603553  

Last edited by Akaliman; 03-11-2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: more entries
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like it. I like the spare look of the tank and I even like the pink fish. They provide a nice contrast.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks guys for your kind words.

I have kept an anubias only tank for a few years, some of the plants are from there. IME is that there tend to be an excess of N and not enough P and K if we rely on fish waste alone. Not dosing them would cause the growth to stunt and the leaves tiny. Whereas N is something I need to get rid through water change. This is especially noticeable in the high flow areas (less CO2 limited I suppose). You can see that my old plants weren't the prettiest because of that. So I only dosed micro, P and K. I dosed N but just a tiny bit (10% dose).

The tank is 60 cm tall (standard 120G dimension), not too deep but enough to wet my shirt if I reach too far in. One of the main reason I turned it into fresh water is it would cost a lot to fill it up with corals. Anubias are much cheaper compared to corals, but of course if we go for finesse (fancy rocks and substrate) it can get expensive too. Another thing is it is also more difficult to achieve finesse in large tanks IMO, too many details to make up the big picture. A combination of these factors made me choose to focus on smaller tanks instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
African cichlids! You already have stuff in the substrate that will help buffer to their higher pH/KH requirements, many species won't bother your Anubias, you have the filtration to overstock (which is a tried-and-true method to reduce their aggression, believe it or not), and they're some of the most interesting and colorful freshwater fish on earth. A tank of a variety of male peacock species from Lake Malawi or a few groups of mbuna species (also from Lake Malawi) would be spectacular, and much lower maintenance than discus.

Check out cichlid-forum.com and the Internets generally for more info on particular species.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode