10 Gallon Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 Gallon Journal

Hello everyone,

I am new to planted tanks, and I just got my 10 gallon going about a week ago. This is the picture that I took right after the initial planting:

I have Eco Complete Substrate (just one bag) and 2 X 15 watt spiral CFL in the stock hood. I'm using Excel for Carbon and KNO3, KH2PO4, and Flourish for fertilizers. Also Equilibrium after weekly water change.

I have Java Fern and Java Moss tied down to the driftwood with thread. Other plants include Anubias nana, Crypt wendtii, Rotala indica, Hygrophila difformis, and Ludwigia repens. Got all plants from Aqua Botanic and all seemed to be in great shape except for the Java Moss for some reason. Will the java moss come back strong? I was hoping to have it completely covering my driftwood.

This is all I can do right now in my college dorm, but I'd love to hear any suggestions/advice on ways I can make this into a great aquascape without spending much more money. I've learned alot on these forums already so thank you all for getting me to where I am now!

Also, I'm planning to stock the tank eventually with boraras micros and amanos. Any other ideas for stocking? Am I asking for a lot of trouble if I stocked one nerite snail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
your java moss is fine...I bought 1 bag months ago from Taiwan (i think) and it arrived brown...used it anyway...and now I have enough to cover 5 baseball sized rocks and then some extra to fiddle around with (making trees in a 10gall)...

I dont think you can kill java moss short of dropping a nuclear bomb on it...just wait a month or so and youll have a nice thick green mat of the stuff...then remove it all (to remove the original brown) and retie everything and youll be fine

nice tank btw
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
A nerite would be fine in your tank, I've got one in my 10g and two in my 2.5g and they do great. As far as fish go, I really like Heterandria Formosa in my tanks of 10 gallons or less. I think they are the smallest livebearing fish in the world, but I really like about them is their behavior. They are energetic, always chasing each other around and exploring the tank, always on the lookout for a bite to eat, but they don't eat their own young, or the baby red cherry shrimp.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Hey nice looking tank! Some of those plants will eventually outgrow a 10Gal but what the heck it looks good! Keep us updated!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Algae Grower

good start man!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The wisteria stems and tops that are in the foreground of the first pic have all died (it was only an experiment, anyway), so I now have a bare foreground. I'll get a new pic up soon.

Also, alot of the wisteria in the back was dying, so I cut off all the rotting parts and replanted. Also, the ludwigia repens was looking really bad, so I just cut off the tops, which looked okay, and replanted them. Is this okay? I didn't really know what else to do. I just started dosing ferts about 2 days ago, so hopefully I'll start to see some rejuvenation.

How bad is it to skip one daily dose of excel? I'm snowed in at my parents house (in TN!!) and can't get back to school today.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Algae Grower

I don't know man because I dont use excel or other daily ferts! but I don't think is a good idea to start dosing on ill plants...
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I'm back to my dorm. Plants seem to be doing well. Ill, I think, is a strong word to describe them. I'll post an update pic soon (once my camera battery recharges). The little crypts seem to be very happy. They are all producing new leaves already!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's an updated picture that I took tonight. I had the flash on. I don't think my camera is very good at taking pictures of highly lit objects (like planted tanks). Any tips besides buying a better camera?

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here are some other pictures of some of the individual plants.

Cryptocoryne wendtii:

I'm wondering, if I get a nerite snail, will it trample and uproot these tiny crypts?

Java Fern:

Same question as above. I don't want see these guys floating around cuz my critters uprooted them.

Ludwigia repens is in the back right corner of the tank:

I pretty much cut all of the stem off because all the leaves had fallen off except right at the very top. I just replanted the tops. Will it root and grow after being cut back this much?

Rotala indica:

The new growth is much brighter green than the orginal plant which looks kind of brown and rotting. Will the orginal plant heal? Or will I have to cut off all of the new growth, replant it, and discard the original?

Wisteria looks great and it is climbing towards steadily straight up towards the light. Here's a stem that a planted in the foreground to watch its growth rate:

Anubias nana:

Can't really tell in these pics, but the leaves are starting to get a little bit of yellow in the leaves and all of the newer leaves are all yellow. What is this particular nutrient deficiency?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And why are the tips of the anubias leaves degrading?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
you cant bury the rhizomes of plants like ferns and anubias in the substrate. they need to have the rhizome exposed (the base where the roots come out). they will do great tied to a rock or some driftwood. if you really want them in the substrate, you can weigh them down with something until the roots bury in deep enough to hold the plant without a weight

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

About the anubias rhizomes:

Have I really buried the rhizomes too deep?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Algae Grower

i think it will be better to put them on the driftwood and tie it down on that wood!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay, so I'm strongly considering turning this into a puffer tank. I'd start if 1 male puffer (if I can find one), and, if things work out, maybe add 2 females to go along. I've been researching quite a bit about them, and I think I'm prepared for all of their needs (namely the steady supply of small snails in their diet). However, the biggest issue is finding a juvenile male - I'm pretty sure my lfs does not carry it. Should I even bother buying a fish from Petsmart?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode