Kilroy_1911 20H - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Kilroy_1911 20H

First post, just introducing my tank.

20H, Current 40w PC 6700/10K lighting. Penguin 200 and 100 (no media, flow only), Wal Mart heater, eco complete with gravel on top, and an airstone in the left corner of the tank.

2 yoyo Loaches, 1 botia kubotai (angelicus),and 3 tiger barbs.

I don't remember what plants are in there.

I have had the loaches for 5-6 years, this is their 4th tank. I did a lot of moving the last few years. Tiger barbs are new as of Monday.

Used to have a nano-reef until a ice storm knocked power out for 10 days. Also had a 55 with 4 Current 6500K t5 bulbs with Flourite substrate that did really well for 2 years and then sold it.

The tank has been neglected. It may 2-3 weeks before I got around to doing a 20% water change. The brown algae was getting pretty bad. I am now doing water a change once a week. I am also feeding the fish less and reducing the photo period. Every now and then I add a cap full of Flourish. I use RO/DI water with Seachem Acid and Alkaline buffers, and top of with RO/DI only.

Water Params:
pH = 7.5
GH = 9ish dKH
KH = 4 dKH
Phosphate = 0.0-0.5
Amm = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Temp = 76-78

I am wanting to turn the tank around into something that is beautiful and reflects good husbandry. I've been a bad fish keeper for about a year now, and I want to make this a "real" aquarium. I want to have lots more plants and 2 or 3 more each of the angelicus loaches and barbs, and overall a very balanced and good looking tank. Current stocking doesn't allow snails, I'm not sure about shrimps. I am not very knowledgeable with ferts and CO2, although I up for using it if I can learn, which I'm sure many of you will be happy to school me in this area, if not others.

I would like suggestions on my current setup, and future plans.

Old 55
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Algae Grower

I'm far from experienced so I'm not going to be much help. I can see that it could use a good cleaning. I would personally do some vaccuming. Just a little bit with every water change for awhile to get some of that gunk off the top of the gravel. I'm not sure how shrimp would fare either, but you could try some cheapo ghost shrimp. If they survive then it's great. If they get eaten then you're not out much.

As far as scaping goes I would maybe swap the two green plants in the center with the driftwood. Or, move them back towards the wood. They just stand out a bit funny to me where they are now.

29g planted - 2 juvie Keyhole Cichlids, 6 Serpaes, 1 juvie ABN Pleco
20 high planted - 1 Betta, 7 Harlequin Rasboras, Snails & Shrimp, 4 ABN fry
20 long - 1 Redclaw Crayfish & Misc Guppies
75g on the way!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update 2/18/2010

Added some rotala, DIY CO2, regular fert schedule, and 2 bamboo shrimp. I really am no good at scaping. I'm considering redoing the whole thing in the future.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Only a few more updates before this tank is no more. For some reason, I cannot get the pictures to look right at all. The pictures look pale and washed out. In real life the tank is crystal clear, and no algae anywhere. The plants look green and healthy, and the stemmed plants need trimmed weekly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
"The 'scape ain't right, bro."

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I realize this is a boring tank. But it has come a long way from where it was 2 months ago. I wish I could take better pictures. The shimmer effect from the metal halide just cant be conveyed in photos. And my photos suck. I can't wait to get my new tank started.

Since the first post, the tank has had the following changes in specs, dosing:

70w Metal Halide, 19" from surface
9hr photoperiod
DIY CO2 into powerhead
Weekly 5g water change
Airstone 4 hrs at night

Seachem Bottled fertz
2mL Excel 5 days a week
1mL Iron 4 days a week
1mL Nitrogen 3 days a week
2mL Potassium 3 days a week
1/2 mL Flourish once a week

feeding a "pinch" or food 5 days a week

Quote:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
That looks alot better! One thing that I would change is the equimpent on and around the tank. It is sort of a eye catcher if you know what I mean.
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I agree that the equipment is a little distracting. i would straighten things up around it, but I am building a new tank and this one will be no more. Also this tank smells great! It used to smell like a fish tank. Now it has no odor. Thanks for the compliment and the advice.

Quote:

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
If that water sprite is still in there, its gonna grow like crazy, and get outta hand, if not tended to regularly I like the setup though!

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I hear ya. The amazon sword has grown like crazy too. Most of the plants in this tank will have to be sold/given/thrown away. I plan on keeping the rotala though.

Quote:

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some pictures before a water change/trimming.

This will be on my 60L GLA tank soon

This tank has really bounced back, and it looks pretty dull in the pictures, but the MH looks awesome. I can't wait to get started on my GLA tank.

Quote:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode