Naked Singularity - Pics 1-8-11 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Naked Singularity - Pics 1-8-11

Picture (because who reads past the pic, really?):

Short explanation of the name: I got sucked in!

Longer explanation (from Wikipedia):
In general relativity, a naked singularity is a gravitational singularity without an event horizon. The singularities inside black holes are always surrounded by an area which does not allow light to escape, and therefore cannot be directly observed. A naked singularity, by contrast, is observable from the outside.

History:
I'm a newb! I came into possession of a pair of goldfish in a vase and am rapidly getting sucked into this hobby. I have since discovered that I really like planted tanks, 10G is too small for a pair of goldfish and the fern on the right is not actually an aquatic plant . The fish are destined for my mother's goldfish pond, and the fern is coming out soon.

The tank is a 10G Top Fin from the local thrift store, with 2 10W CFLs. The Flourite, rock, Anubis and fern are from the LFS. I also got a bit impulsive and picked up a gold mystery snail from Petco while my wife was buying treats for the dog. I am running a DIY co2 setup with a handmade ladder diffuser which actually doesn't work well at all.

I have 3X Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis), 3X Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri) and a batch of 10 Corkscrew Vals (Vallisneria americana) from AquariumPlants that should be here day after tomorrow. I also ordered some of their TOTAL fertilizer pellets. Fingers Crossed.

Last edited by Robotguy; 01-09-2011 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Update title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
TAKE THE ANUBIAS AND JAVAFERN OUT OF THE SUBSTRATE RIGHT AFTER THIS SENTENCE END!!!1!!!111!!!!!!

Alright. There goes my advice. The rizhomes shouldn't get burried, it will die. I experieced it first hand.

Great name for the tank. When I saw it I tought it was like one main focal point (the rock... or the heater ^^).

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's actually a very good start...however, as you know, that fern is non-aquatic and won't live long...so you may want to consider trashing it...

Good plants for your setup would be:
Sunset/Green Hygros...
Crypts [There are some that will do well in your tank, Crypt Wendtii's for ex...but some require a lot of light, but most do well in low-tech tanks*your Co2 might kick stuff into gear though. *]
Java Ferns [Needle Leaf, Regular, & Windelov]
Water Wisteria [still a hygro though!]
Asian Ambulia
Mosses [Like Taiwan, Christmas, Fissidens[I think, I don't know much about that one], Java, etc.]
E. Tenellus
Narrow-Leaf & Broad-Leaf Ludwigias
Watersprite[though, this grows quick and you might get sick of it just as quick! LOL]
Aponogetons [same as watersprite]
Dwarf Water "Lotuses" [same as watersprite]
Cabomba
and of course more Anubias!

Hope this helps!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
TAKE THE ANUBIAS AND JAVAFERN OUT OF THE SUBSTRATE RIGHT AFTER THIS SENTENCE END!!!1!!!111!!!!!!
PinoyBoy, Thanks! I did just that. I actually got out of bed, headed downstairs in my pajamas and adjusted the Anubias. I had no idea about the rhizome . I'll make sure to check for planting instructions for all of my new additions tonight.

The fern is getting pulled out when the new plants go in.

demonbreedr16, Thanks for the suggestions. I just bought some stuff randomly from the "beginner" section of AquariumPlants, but I can see I'm going to need to put more thought into it than that. At this point I think my main goal is just going to be keeping stuff alive.

I'll try to post some photos of the new stuff tomorrow after the dust settles (Literally. That Flourite is really dusty, even after I rinsed it).

Question: With that wimpy little filter, am I going to need more water circulation?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Images first:

Not quite as bare anymore, but still cloudy from messing around and placing the fertilizer pellets. I hope to be able to stay "hands-off" for a while so the roots can take hold.

And a look at one of the inhabitants:

I'm trying to create a place that would be fun to live in if I were a fish. The right side is an orchard of corkscrew vals and the left has some amazon swords for backdrop with what will hopefully be a lawn of dwarf hairgrass. The cave in the middle opens into a nice little hollow.

The anubias came out of the substrate, was cut in half and tied to a rock.

My next additions: a CO2 diffuser and a 1X36W kit from AHSupply when the tax return comes in...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 05:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Separating the hairgrass in smaller batches and planting them like a checkered pattern should make the wait for a nice carpet shorter.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looking good! I love the vals. Not toally sure about the plants on the left. Are they some type of sword? They look like they might get huge and take over your tank. I could very well be wrong though. I am a newb as well.

The goldfish are cute, it's such a shame they get so big as I like them too. I'm sure they will love the pond though!

29g planted - 2 juvie Keyhole Cichlids, 6 Serpaes, 1 juvie ABN Pleco
20 high planted - 1 Betta, 7 Harlequin Rasboras, Snails & Shrimp, 4 ABN fry
20 long - 1 Redclaw Crayfish & Misc Guppies
75g on the way!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to nickcamp12345
be careful with the goldfish since they are very messy. they eat majority of plants that you'll probably plant except for the java fern. for some reason they don't like it, but feed them very well otherwise they'll get hungry and eat your hard work. plants that have long and strong root systems like crypts and the amazon swords are good just in case the goldfish try and uproot them. the poop they make should do a good job of fertilizing the plants along with the pellets you bought.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Pinoyboy, I was afraid to separate the hairgrass any smaller, but maybe I'll give it a try next time I do any work on the tank.

Taysius & nickcamp12345, Thanks for the comments. So far so good with the goldfish. They're small yet, so the tank is probably ok for now. They don't appear to be eating anything, but they keep "hoovering" around the roots of the hairgrass and it ends up floating at the top of the tank.

On a good note: I added the fertilizer pellets and two 10W incandescent Ikea lights shining in the sides of the tank. I'm now at 40W (20W CFL + 20W Incandescent) on a 10 Gal tank. When I went to turn off the lights the first night I saw streams of teensy bubbles rising from the swords and the vals, so they must be growing, right? One of the central stalks on the swords is now breaking the surface of the water, but I can't tell whether it has grown or just standing up straighter. Either way, I suppose that must be good.

I really think I'm going to need a better CO2 diffuser. Maybe I'll try the method with the plastic cup.

Last edited by Robotguy; 01-30-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 PM
sandie

That is a great beginning. Swords can become very large. I have 1 that is a red flame sword and it takes up 1/4 of the 40 gallon it is in. It started quite small, took all of a couple of months to really fill out.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update:

Pic first since they're the best part

Disclaimers:
  • Yep, lots of hair algae. I just started a decent fert regime, with the combo pack from Rex Grigg. I'm hoping that will help out. I have given up on fast growth, I just want less algae.
  • The cucumber slice is coming out tonight. Neither the oto's or the apple snail like it. The snail however does LOVE the canned green bean I dropped in there.
  • The drop checker is empty. I don't actually have any drop checker solution, I've just been playing with making things out of acrylic.

Let's see, since the last update I added 6 amano shrimp and 2 otos. Then last weekend I managed to kill all of the shrimp. The only thing that I can think of is that I didn't pay enough attention to the water temp during a 50% water change. Live and learn, I guess. Well I lived, the poor little shrimpies didn't :-( And they were doing such a good job on the algae on the rock, too.

I gave up on the Ikea incandescent lamps. I think they were only helping the algae. I also installed a timer and have the lights running from 6-9 and from 4-9 so I can see the tank while I'm home before and after work.

I picked up an Aqua-Tech HOB at the thrift store for $4, but it says it's 330 gph and I was worried about the shrimp. Once the shrimp were all gone I swapped filters. The oto's love the flow.

Last but definitely not least, my friend at work, guerdonian, RAOK'd me his 3 neon tetras. They seem to be doing quite well and don't appear to mind the extra flow in the tank. I am really happy with the way the blue and red contrast with the green of the tank. You can see their blue blurs in the pic above.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
"Live and learn, I guess. Well I lived, the poor little shrimpies didn't" Sorry to hear about your shrimp but that line was too much to resist. You got a way with words you know that

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
l was gonna ask about your rock, do you think it leeched any tanins and therefore killed off your sensitive shrimp? also try adding some driftwood. l think it would add to the scape other than that looking good.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

!shadow!, thanks for the kind words. I don't think it was the rock, since it had been in there for a couple of months before I put in the shrimp. In fact the algae on the rock was the main reason for getting the shrimp.

A bit of photography practice:

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
Nice job so far! As someone mentioned, I would remove those amazon swords. One is too large for anything smaller than 55 gallon and three in a 10 gallon will be impossible to keep after a couple of months.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode