90 gal Discus Tank: sneek peek at next project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
90 gal Discus Tank: sneek peek at next project

I think a lot of people are are familiar with my 125 gal birthday present. It split a seam on December 11th and this is the 90 gal tank that I replaced the broken tank with. Since the tank has been up for about a month already, I have quite a bit of info and pictures, so it will be broken into a few posts.

Tank Info
62"L x 14"D x 24"H glass
Rena XP3 canister filter
Marineland C360 canister filter
pressurized co2
EI dry fert dosing
Catalina Aquarium 4x54watt 48" t5ho light
soil caped with turface caped with pool filter sand
2 large pieces of manzanita wood
airstone that runs at night

Plants
I have collected a lot of plants from local swaps.
crypts
anubias
Limnophila aromatica
L. ovalis
L. Brevipes
L. Glandulosa
giant hairgrass
dwarf hairgrass
lace, narrow, needle, and regular java fern
ammania bonsai sp.
marsilea quadrifolia
blyxa aubertii
blyxa japonica
downoi
Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form'
Aponogeton
christmas moss
and some other unknowns

Fish
7 Brilliant Turquoise discus
5 wild Peruvian scalare (angelfish)
3 baby gold angelfish
3 german blue ram
2 albino lf bristle nose pleco
3 standard bristle nose pleco
a bunch of chocolate otos
some black otos
tons of common otos
6 rummy nose tetras
30 - 40 cardinal and green neon tetras
3 zebra loaches
10 julii corys
3 bronze corys
5 zebra and tiger nerite snails

I have recently added 2 riparium planters
one with petsmarts famous non aquatic ribbon plants and some crypts in aquarium gravel
one with peace lilies and purple waffle plants in pea gravel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yikesjason; 06-16-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
awesome tank man!
I have a 90gl sitting empty and I keep seeing awesome tanks and can never decide on which one to follow up on do one myself.
Do you notice that angel chasing after cardinals at all?

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This was my 125 gallon tank about the time it split a seam and spilled a lot of water on the floor. Luckily I was home when it happened and could prevent a lot more damage. I still lost some of my favorite fish in the next few days after the disaster.

Everything had to go into Rubbermaid totes for a couple of day so I could find a decent replacement tank. This was when I lost my congo tetras, rummys, and my favorite GBR.

I picked up this 90 gal off craigslist late the next day. I got it set up as quickly as possible, but trying to move a soil substrate from one tank to the other is messy. It was cloudy for about a week and a half until I capped it again with pool filter sand.

After about a week.

After another week or so, things were pretty much back to normal.

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have always wanted discus, but was too unsure about my aquatic skills to spend that much money. I was starting to have a lot of plant success and was selling quite a bit of extra plants here on plantedtank. My tank paid for a few of its own upgrades and I figured I would try my hand at discus around Dec. or Jan. I bought a few sad discus from a local guy just to give it a try and was able to nurse some sick discus back to health. That gave me a big confidence boost, but the discus were very stunted already.

When my big tank broke and I had to buy a new one, I thought I wouldn't be able to pay for discus for a while. But my Christmas gifts were generous and I was able to get 7 beautiful brilliant turquoise from Discus Hans last week. It was quite the upgrade. I got rid of the 4 stunted discus and 9 angelfish.

I love the way these discus school, way better than the angels did. They are just stunning. Thank you so much Hans.

They are still pretty shy and jumpy, but they are curious and eating. They make me nervous though because they bolt for the surface when they get spooked. I really hope they settle down soon.

Last edited by yikesjason; 01-25-2010 at 05:11 AM.
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:23 AM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
I love it!
Thats going to look great
Those discus are amazing!

post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ever since I was a little kid, way before I was into fish tanks, I dreamed of doing a massive paludarium. I always envisioned something like a long table in the middle of a room with a small pond at one end, and ramping up to a large terrarium at the other end. With all different kinds of animals and plants. I don't have the room or the money, and I doubt I would have the approval of my wife, to do any thing like that. But all of these ripariums have my brain going.

I have this very large anubias that I have had growing out the top of my aquarium for about 6 months. It has drawn some attention and I wanted to add to it.

I did a small planter with a shower caddy and some plain aquarium gravel. I got a tube of Petsmart's non-aquatic plants and some crypts and set it up. But it just isn't big enough. So this weekend I was at Walmart and got a bigger shower caddy, a peace lily, and some purple waffle plant, I picked up some pea gravel from Lowes and was ready for a bigger planter. I have tried stopping by a local hydroponics store to get some clay pellets, but they have been out of stock on the small bag. I could never use the full $30 bag and these are still basically experiments. But after filling the big planter with plants and gravel, I realized why pea gravel is not normally used, it is heavy! The suction cups could not hold up the weight. I had to use a metal cloths hanger and pliers to make some hanging hooks.

But I think it came out well.

Here is the smaller cup. It is not very impressive yet.

post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Beautiful picture!!!! I have always wanted to keep both Discus and Angels.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Both tanks look amazing...it's really a bummer about the one breaking, though. Fantastic work with the new setup, and amazing fishes. I want it.

Feeling adventurous? Maybe check out my current
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It appears that the otos are breeding in my tank. Last night while I was working on the tank, I saw this little critter. I am pretty sure it is an oto, but it is possible that it could be a pleco.
It is hard to see, but it is on top of the filter outlet.

post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Absolutely stunning. Might get Angels for my now understocked 75....
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Dude. You kinda stole my dream tank! I've always wanted to set-up an aquarium that has plants sticking out with ceiling proppelled lights.

You have a beatiful tank and I love your discus!
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
Nice! Your Hans discus are beautiful and I like what you're doing with the tank. I always worry about having my large tank break! Glad to see you were able to come back and make the best of it.

post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
Dude. You kinda stole my dream tank! I've always wanted to set-up an aquarium that has plants sticking out with ceiling proppelled lights.

You have a beatiful tank and I love your discus!
Check out the tank in my sig... not exactly what you were looking for... but close... and not as good looking as this tank at all...
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tagging along....
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

When I first started EI dosing, I had just mixed all of the dry ferts into one liquid mixture. It made dosing very easy, but it lost is potency by the end. I am dry dosing now and I am seeing a great improvement in the blyxa japonica and I know the other plants are going to do a lot better too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode