Buce Rock Canyon - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Buce Rock Canyon

NEW PICS on page 2!

Been working on this tank for over 3 months now. I realize the scape looks pretty crowded but that is the look I was going for.

Tank: 40B
Filtration: Eheim 2215
Light: 2 Current satellite plus strips (need two because

of the shadows cast by the rocks). I have dimmed them a bit to reduce algae and photoperiod is only 6hrs for now.
Low tech with daily excel dosing and Seachem ferts
Substrate: layers of worm castings with osmocote plus Eco-complete and Caribsea sand.
Hardscape: flagstone
Fauna: 8 otos, lots of neo shrimp and some nerites and other snails.
Hardware: inline heater and two pumps to add flow because of the rocks.
Flora: Water sprite, AR mini, Anubias of various sizes including Anubia gold (in front), Monte carlo and downoi in the "valleys". Fissidens nobilis and fontanus and mini-pellia. Also some java fern.

Started tank with dry start for the Monte Carlo and Downoi for over a month and then flooded. Added the water sprite at that point. Been adding the buces over time. Have at least 10 different varieties in there that I will list later. Growth is very slow but that is to be expected since it is low tech and these are buces. The tank has been a phosphate hog, because the levels are low and I have to add phosphates every 2-3 days. Otherwise going well so far. So far algae is present but under control. I expect it will take months for the tank to mature because of the slow growth rate of the buces.

Original Tank
20150321_003153 by miclino, on Flickr

Dry start
20151216_182712 (1) by miclino, on Flickr

Full tank shot
2.24.D by miclino, on Flickr

2.24.E by miclino, on Flickr

2.24.C by miclino, on Flickr

2.24.B by miclino, on Flickr

2.24.F by miclino, on Flickr

Last edited by anfield; 05-13-2016 at 04:39 AM. Reason: update pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry about the crap cell phone pics. Open to suggestions on additional stocking
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Neat concept -- jungle temple ruins come to mind. That tan sand works well with the hardscape too.

A background would help (black?). Also, consider tucking a few more AR mini stems throughout, rather than just in that one spot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Agreed about the AR. The problem is that to get it to stay red without CO2, I have it in rich substrate at that spot. Harder to replicate in other spots but I can try using osmocote perhaps.

There is more AR mini in the tank but it is hidden by rocks. Perhaps should plant regular AR in those spots. It would need to be at least 6 inches tall to be seen though.

The background would be tricky as the tank is in a corner. I could put in a hard background but not sure I want to go with black since the "valley" is supposed to give an illusion of depth when you look at it from the right angle
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Got a Bucep list?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfield View Post
Agreed about the AR. The problem is that to get it to stay red without CO2, I have it in rich substrate at that spot. Harder to replicate in other spots but I can try using osmocote perhaps.

There is more AR mini in the tank but it is hidden by rocks. Perhaps should plant regular AR in those spots. It would need to be at least 6 inches tall to be seen though.

The background would be tricky as the tank is in a corner. I could put in a hard background but not sure I want to go with black since the "valley" is supposed to give an illusion of depth when you look at it from the right angle
Not sure you have to have a rich substrate to keep AR mini red -- I don't and mine seems fine... I fertilize the water column, use Excel, and have good light, so maybe that's all that's needed. Worth a try if you have some extra.

Maybe a frosted background then, if you get back there and apply it. The cords in the back take away from the cool look a bit. But if you don't mind, that's all that matters!

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Missed the cords. They are easy to keep out of actually but a frosted background does sound good. I'm going to move some of the AR mini today

Will post a list of the buces later as well
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Buce list
Black label
Mini Godzilla
Sintang mini
Acentana
Lamandau various types
Dark Catherine
Mini dark catherinae
Green wavy
Kapuas adinda
Phatam mini
Arrowhead mini
Aldinda mini
Bilblis blue
Isabelle mini

There are a couple more I am missing. A few just melted and died. These were the ones that were grown emersed. I would recommend onky buying those grown submersed. Some of the ones that melted are slowly grwoing back from the rhizome. Growth is slow, even slower than the anubias in the tank but they are slowly putting out new leaves.
WaterLife and WaterLife like this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Couple more I missed
Elegant purple
Opera mini
Dark pygmae

Here are pics of some of my favorites. Its possible the names may occasionally get mixed up lol

Sintang mini
Sintang mini by miclino, on Flickr

Kapuas adinda
Kapuas adinda by miclino, on Flickr

Goliath Mini
Goliath mini by miclino, on Flickr

Aldinda mini
Aldinda mini by miclino, on Flickr

Another type of Sintang? in foreground and Black label in the background
Black label by miclino, on Flickr
WaterLife and WaterLife like this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Open to suggestions on stocking. I would like to keep the sense of scale so large fish are out of question. Plus there are the shrimp to keep in mind. Would Boraras be too small for this tank?
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Open to suggestions on stocking. I would like to keep the sense of scale so large fish are out of question. Plus there are the shrimp to keep in mind. Would Boraras be too small for this tank?
To me, for some reason this setup seems aesthetically well-suited to Asian species. Since you want to keep a sense of scale, why not go with nano-sized fishes? Microdevario kubotai or any of the tiny Boraras species for schooling fish, a group of flavus or Hara jerdoni catfish for bottom feeders (I've wanted these species for a long time), and a small group of a Dario species (Dario dario is my favorite) as the feature fish.

One note on scale though -- it's killed a little bit with the big pieces of driftwood sticking out from the back and the large anubias species. I still like it, but just a thought if you re-scape a bit.

edit: On second thought, the one on the left looks like a tree and fits the scale fine. It's the one in the middle that's throwing it off for me -- I think because it gets fatter at the top. Maybe try flipping it around?

Last edited by end3r.P; 02-26-2016 at 03:24 PM. Reason: edit
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

20160226_220559 by miclino, on Flickr

Updated pic with some AR mini moved to the front. You can only see one of the spots here though. Good suggestion.

Those are some great fish listed. The Boraras and Microdevario are on my list. I would love to consider the Scarlet Badis but am nervous about their eating habits. I do travel for work sometimes and that could be a problem for such picky fish. On the other hand the shrimp population might sustain them who knows.
That Hara Jerdoni is also very cool looking but the need for fresh food is also a problem here.

The large driftwood at the back left is meant to look like a large tropical tree type. The middle one too only appears thick and will eventually (I hope) be covered in mini buces. I agree about the larger anubias. I have a lot of anubia petites in there but the larger anubias were my way of getting a lot of green at the beginning. Perhaps I will slowly replace them with buces as they grow in.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I like the hardscape. Well executed, but the wood in the middle is very distracting. I suggest you move it together with the one on the left, as if its the end of a forrest. Een add a third in the same area. Also the gey stone on the left could be replaced with the same stone used throughout. Just my opinion and what i would do. but itlooks great overall.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
20160226_220559 by miclino, on Flickr

Updated pic with some AR mini moved to the front. You can only see one of the spots here though. Good suggestion.

Those are some great fish listed. The Boraras and Microdevario are on my list. I would love to consider the Scarlet Badis but am nervous about their eating habits. I do travel for work sometimes and that could be a problem for such picky fish. On the other hand the shrimp population might sustain them who knows.

That Hara Jerdoni is also very cool looking but the need for fresh food is also a problem here.

The large driftwood at the back left is meant to look like a large tropical tree type. The middle one too only appears thick and will eventually (I hope) be covered in mini buces. I agree about the larger anubias. I have a lot of anubia petites in there but the larger anubias were my way of getting a lot of green at the beginning. Perhaps I will slowly replace them with buces as they grow in.

Looking good. If you decide to go for some of those fish, msjinkzd.com usually has a nice supply.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here is what the tank looked like minus the driftwood. I agree that it has now become the focal point, but without it, felt like something was missing. I have since moved the one central large anubias and replaced it with anubias petite

minus driftwood by miclino, on Flickr

Also agree about the odd colored rock, But the problem of working with flagstone is limited shape options. My hope is that the buce will eventually grow down and cover it up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode