Jaye's New 125 - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 03:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
hmmm
have you added any live bacteria starter solution?

sounds like the first bacteria to convert to nitrite are kicking in but the last bacteria to convert nitritie to nitrate hasn't fully kicked in .

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes, I added some Tetra Safe Start about a month ago. That makes sense, although it's so weird with the morning evening apattern, I guess that must be what's going on - the bacteria aren't fully estabished. They may be getting there finally. This morning the nitrite test is lavender, not purple, so that's progress.
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 06:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Pretty common phenomenon for me in all three tanks I've set up. It seems like the Ammonia -> Nitrite phase goes a lot faster than the Nitrite -> Nitrate phase. It's hard to be patient when you see all the Ammonia being used up so quickly and the Nitrite just sitting there, but it'll be done pretty quickly, especially since you've started to see the Nitrites drop.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 09:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nice looking tank... I'd just suggest a LOT more plant mass just to start. Makes it a bit easier for the tank to get established. More plants to outcompete algae for nutrients, also helps with the cycle.

Just some fast growing, cheap stems you can toss out after it's fully cycled.
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks. It's got quite a few more plants in it now - most everythg seems to be rebounding from the diatoms, although some may yet be doomed - I've had plants that were completely "gone" (as in you see none of it at all left in the tank) come back months later, so I'm not removing much. i'll try and get some pics tonight.
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Planted Member

Can't wait for some updated pics....love this tank!

- Retired
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, Steve. My big camera is currently lent out, but I'll try for some phone pics tonight, because today, I ADDED FISH! Finally. 20 cherry barbs, 10 zebra danios and 7 (all Albany Aquarium had - I'd like at least 10) albino cories. The danios and barbs seem sort of freaked out - hiding in the plants, schooling tightly, initially all together, now separated into barb/danio groups - and the cories are being cories.
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great thread! One thing I've learned after setting up tank after tank is to always start the new tank with some media. I assume by now your cycle is all caught up though. I had Congo tetras in my 75 gallon before I switched it to a tanganyikan tank. They ate fresh leaves on the Amazon swords and Downoi. Unfortunately they didn't survive the move and the tank breakdown and set up... there is nothing more beautiful than a full grown dominant Congo tetra.. in a 6 foot tank you could have a tremendous school of them
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 08:39 PM
Algae Grower

Wow, this is awesome!

post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've moved all of the inhabitants of the 29 into the 125. The 29 is for now my quarantine tank, which is currently housing 5 congo tetras and 5 black mollies, who are happily chowing down on the green hair algae that has been bothering my hair grass in there. I want to get 10 congo tetras total, but Albany Aquarium only had 3 males, so I got two of them and three females because I want the males to color up but don't want the females harassed. Even the females are gorgeous -they're gold, the males are silver and orange and blue.
Immortal1 and Immortal1 like this.
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Photos, finally.

Albino Cory:

Lemon Tetras:

FTS:

The cories keep uprooting plants. More re-planting in store for tonight.

Last edited by Jaye; 08-02-2016 at 10:15 PM. Reason: .
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:04 PM
Captain

Looking good Jaye! Have 5 albino corys myself - fun fish. Can't say they have pulled up as many plants as the bushy nose plecos :-(

post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's actually the salt and pepper cories that do most of the uprooting - the albinos seem to go around.

Here's a better shot of the tank from last night:

post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Planted Member

Looking good!

- Retired
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Night shot:

Reflection-y, but this is the tank with the lights on nearly max. I have 2 36" Planted+ 24/7's and 2 Ecoxotic E-90's on the tank. The Ecoxotics are on from 11:00 - 5:00, the Planted+ is in 24/7 mode. No algae problems to speak of at the moment- the diatoms are mostly gone and aside from the rocks, there's very little algae of any other type - just a bit of BBA on the rocks, which I scrub at with a stainless wire brush every time I'm in the tank.

There's a brief period every afternoon when, if the neighbors across the water don't have their third story window open, it reflects the sun straight into the tank. The congo tetras look absolutely spectacular in the sunlight - this isn't the greatest shot, but it'll give you an idea.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode