Jaye's New 125 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Discovered that the glass lids I bought won't work with the returns as currently configured. They project too far into the tank. Since I was going to rebuild one return anyway, guess I'm rebuilding both this weekend. The trimmings I stuck in there this afternoon will just have to make do with ambient light until Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Set the lights up tonight. Well, one of the lights. I need to do a little rewiring. I'm really impressed with the shimmer I'm getting from the Ecoxotic lights. Sort of wishing I'd bought four 36" fixtures instead of two, but since that's not what I did, or possible now, I'll probably just get a couple of Planted+'s.

My weekend is pretty spoken for, but I'm hoping to rebuild the returns on Sunday afternoon and to get the co2 set up on Tuesday. Planting will get pushed off yet another week, with the exception of trimmings from the 29. Monday, we're going sailing, and Sunday morning we have brunch, so Sunday afternoon and Tuesday are all I've got, which as I type this strikes me as the definition of a first world problem.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
this tank is going to look awesome!

hahah, yes, sounds like first world problems indeed!

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Did a little more planting - trimmings from the 29 - yesterday. must try to get a picture in the dark tonight so you can actually see the whole tank and not half tank/half house across the channel.

post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks awesome so far!

Would love to see a close up of your sump/plumbing setup at some point as well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Finally got a picture of the tank at night

And this is the sump

It's a bit of a mess, and I'll probably neaten up and improve over time, but hey, it works.

The clear plastic hose on the left leads from a pump to the drain, and the metallic line draped over the other plumbing is the supply line. I went with regular timers I had on hand because I'm spending waaaay more than I'd planned to on this whole setup -I'll switch to the home automation stuff over time, but this works for now. The controllers for the lights are mounted on the left side, and the heater controller (for the two Eheim 150 watt heaters) is on the right. The Co2 system is out of the frame, on the left.

My new Eheim pumps are supposed to arrive tonight - I'm hoping they'll be quiet enough that I don't have to go with a couple of canister filters on this instead.
post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love threads like this. I show them to my wife, and she thinks I am relatively normal.

But seriously, very, very cool and looking forward to more updates.

------------------
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Glad to be useful, Greg.
Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Installed the Up-aqua inline diffuser and a cerges reactor after it today. There are 10' of hose between the diffuser and the reactor in an attempt to increase dwell time - we'll see if that makes any difference. This is the same setup as I have on my 29 and it works well.

I had been using an Ista Mix-Max due to lack of time to source parts for the cerges, and well... let's just say it's not a purchase I'd make again - noisy and flimsy and didn't seem to ger much CO2 into the water. Diffuser + cerges = line green drop checker = happy Jaye. And hopefully happy plants - mine are looking a little sad and melted and I'm not sure why. I'm running this tank pretty much the same as my 29, which is healthy and lush.
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I put 10' of hose between the inline diffuser and the reactor and that appears to be enough to get very close to complete dissolution of a steady stream of bubbles in the drop checker - too fast to count. I love it when something works as I thought it would.

The drop checker is lime green, finally.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Went to an SFBAAPS meeting yesterday and picked up a bunch of new plants (thanks, folks!). I'm happy with how the right side of the tank is shaping up.

The right side needs work:

Right now I'm just focused on growing out the plants and cycling the tank - once I have enough plant mass I can start actually scaping the thing.
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
Right now I'm just focused on growing out the plants and cycling the tank - once I have enough plant mass I can start actually scaping the thing.
Good thinking
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ugh, diatoms. They are all over everything. I spent a couple of hours this afternoon wiping off everything i could, but stuff like cabomba? I hope mine survives. At least I've got a fairly robust bunch of it in the 29.

Honestly, the big tank looks horrible and i'm a bit disheartened. The 29 chugs along on the same ferts, same water, albeit different lights (planted+ and monster ray on the 29, ecoxotic series 3 on the 125) a few plants are growing well. Chain sword is going wild. The two java ferns seem to be holding their own, hairgrass is bravely sending up shoots, but they're quickly covered in brown dust.

I'm beginning to think I got lucky with my first tank.
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I had been thinking that the diatoms were due to too little light, and this afternoon, i realized I was right. Last week, right after I did my weekly maintenance on the tank, a couple of plants - a Bacopa and an AR Mini - floated up to the top. Being a lazy person, I just let them float all week until maintenance day rolled around again today. Those two plants had no diatoms whatsoever on them after spending the past seven days about 3" below the Ecoxotic lights. Seems pretty clear that the light isn't getting to the bottom of the tank. Ordered two Planted+ 24/7s, whch should be here in a couple of days. Dosing 60ml of Metricide daily is keeping the diatoms more or less at bay for now, but I'm pretty sure the real solution is going to be light.
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The planted+'s came on Monday and I swear the plants already look better. New growth starting all over the place.

I'm having a weird thing going on with my nitrites, though. I am dosing 57ml of ammonia nightly to feed the filter bacteria. My routine is test ammonia and nitrites, 20% water change, add ammonia. Originally, I was testing ammonia after dosing it to make sure I was adding enough, but at this point I'm starting from 0ppm every night, so the dose is constant and testing twice every nght seemed like overkill. When I test in the morning, the ammonia is at 0-.5. However, the nitrites are up -a lot- like to 5ppm. What the heck is going on here?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode