Jungle Mode. High Tech Minimalist. - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Jungle Mode. High Tech Minimalist.

I've had a 20 gallon long up and running for a couple years now. Its come and gone with different scapes, never really amounting to anything. It usually just ends up being an over grown dutch mess and I actually kinda dig it.

20 gallon setup:
Finnex Planted+ 24/7
GLA Gro Reg.
Atomic Diffuser
Hydor Inline heater
Sunsun 302

As a birthday present my girlfriend told me to find a new tank. I was initially thinking of grabbing an ADA, but everywhere seemed to be sold out. I went ahead and looked at my local fish store and they had a Mr. Aqua 25 gallon cube that I was seriously considering. After contemplating for awhile, I stumbled upon a Mr. Aqua 33 gallon. Low Iron 10mm glass. Awesome silicone work and a great size of 24x18x18 inches. Not quite a cube, but plenty of depth and height.

I'll be breaking down the 20 long to use most of its equipment and moving the new tank into its spot.

And this is where my tank journal will begin.

33 Gallon Setup:
Sunsun 302 filter
Hydor Inline Heater 200W
GLA GRO Reg.
Atomic Inline Diffuser
Eheim Skimmer
Kessil A360WE

I'll be making a custom stand hopefully this weekend. And am waiting on the light to arrive. Hopefully I'll be able to get things setup and running sometime this weekend or next week.

Last edited by toybox22; 05-18-2016 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Pic links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 09:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Subbed this thread. Looking forward to updates.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONETOUCH 6050A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Cool

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I am looking forward to seeing your progress. It looks like it will be beautiful.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So after reading about @jedimasterben trouble with the size of his sunsun filter and running a C02 reactor on it and not having enough flow, I decided to go ahead and purchase an eheim classic 2217. This would be overkill if it went straight to my tank, but I'll have an inline heater and the C02 reactor. With those, the flow should be perfect if not a little too strong, which I can deal with. Better to have too much flow than not enough.

My light should be getting here tomorrow and the filter hopefully on Monday. I'm finalizing my design for my stand and hope to get it done this weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:44 AM
LRJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Good luck! I have this same tank, and I love it.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My Kessil A360we came in yesterday and I got around to setting it up on my current 20 gallon long. The far edges don't quite get the same light, but thats expected with the pendant.

I love the color on this light. No more harsh white light from the Finnex 24/7. This light has color throughout its brightness. And the shimmers, the shimmers are so nice. Make the tank look totally different. I can't wait to get this set up on the new tank.

I also started making the new stand, got everything done expect putting the door on because I need to figure out what to paint it. Anyone have suggestions?

I've been looking into a controller as well. Kinda leaning towards the Neptune Systems Apex. It'd allow me to control everything, monitor and log, and make things seamless. Has anyone used one of a planted tank before?

post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got the stand all made, painted and moved to my apartment. I couldn't resist trying the tank on it. I think it looks nice. I also applied a static cling frost glass vinyl. I'm gonna try this instead of the black that I've done in the past. I really can't get over this tank. The craftsmen ship is amazing.

Bonus picture of a plant I can't remember the name of.

Last edited by toybox22; 02-28-2016 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Picture link broken
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Top down view of my 20 long.

I think I have time tonight to make the switch over to the Mr. Aqua. I have a scape in mind, but haven't had a chance to put a rough draft together.
ESK07, ESK07, Bmanz21 and 1 others like this.

post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

School has been killing my lately. Damn automatic control systems. Anyone have any secrets? haha So I haven't been able to update my journal, but I finally have some time.

I went ahead and bought the apex controller, and so far I'm in love with it. It is so nice to not have 4 timers for everything. Being able to monitor my ph is nice as well so I can dial in my C02 amount. I plan on doing a big write up on the apex after I have some more time with it.

The kessil light is doing amazing. I love it. It's so simplistic and it's showing some great growth and color. A lot of people say it doesn't support red colors, but my ludwigia palustris and my alternanthera reineckii are both showing awesome colors.

Right now I'm starting a battle with Green Dot Algae, I'm increasing my phosphates and C02 and lowered my light period by 2 hrs to help combat it.

I'm also starting to notice some diatoms starting, which is normal for a month old tank and I know will pass in a couple weeks.

I did a simple scape with some ohko stone I had. I'm waiting for everything to fill in right now.

I need some help deciding on fish though. Right now I have 2 rummynose tetra from my old tank, I think I'm gonna try and see if my LFS will take them. I had a German Blue Ram in the past, so this time I was thinking of getting an Apisto. That leaves the middle of the tank empty however and I have no clue what to fill it with. Any suggestions?

post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just updating with some growth pictures. Everything is really growing in and filling the tank nicely. I built a Cerges reactor and am waiting to find the time to install it and see how it does. I'm hoping to get rid of the soda pop look in the tank.

Last edited by toybox22; 03-21-2016 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Linked Pictures
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:33 AM
Algae Grower

Absolutely love both your tanks. Also really like your choice of plants. I need to get myself that plant you have that floats at the top. Please let me know what it is when you find out
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I would get an Appisto. Just hard to find a pair! Had a pair for a while and it is definitely my favorite fish.
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 01:42 PM
Algae Grower

I like the look of the original "overgrown Dutch mess" as you call it! The new tank looks great and I am saving for the Kessil or a Halo myself.
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 10:46 PM
Algae Grower

That red plant by the way is Alternanthera Reineckii if I'm not mistaken-

Tags
high tech, kessil, mr. aqua 33.6 gallon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode