The journal and ramblings of a first time tanker; 20 gal low tech edition - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The journal and ramblings of a first time tanker; 20 gal low tech edition

Hey, this seems like a good way to keep track of my progress; victories and failures (the latter of which I'm sure will be many). I set up a 20 gallon high low tech tank three days ago. I'm using an Aquaclear 50 filter, Aqueon 100w heater that comes set to 78 degrees. Eco-soil substrate with 10 API root tabs (it's all they had at the shop), Finnex Planted+ led's, over a bunch of anacharis, crypts, anubias, java moss (that's turning dark brown, probably dying?), java fern, and other various plants I'm not completely sure of what they are. No fish yet, haven't quite figured out when it's time to cross that bridge but I know its a ways away.

So far daily readings are:

2/20/16 Day 1
pH: 6.9
HR pH: 7.8
ammonia: .5ppm
nitrite: 0ppm

2/22/16 Day 3
pH: 6.8/7.0
nitrate: 10ppm
ammonia: 1.0 ppm

Started dosing per this guide (How to Setup a Low-tech Planted Tank: Planted Aquarium Guide ? Welcome to Sudeep Mandal's spot on the net) but have only done macros. Waiting for my hardness test kit before I start adding Excel or whatever else for traces. Advice here would be appreciated.

Hour 1
24 Hours Later...

Right now as it is, am I missing any steps? Do i need to add a piece of prawn or something in there to get the cycle going or can I just kind of... wait? Should i definitely be doing water changes because of the current bacterial bloom? I'm not adverse to doing them, just not if they aren't necessary.

Let's see how this goes!

Last edited by themetalchurch; 02-23-2016 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Welcome to the addition. Beware this hobby can get expensive. You buy a few things for a few dollars and before you know you have spent a few hundred dollars.

A long time ago when I cycled my 1st tank I used Ace Hardware Ammonia. I wish I had not for I used so little of the gallon of ammonia. Then read some were using a cocktail shrimp. I tried the cocktail shrimp with my next tank and had to remove it after 2 days because it stank. Now I use API Quick Start with a filter pre-filter from another seeded tank. So now if I started a tank without seeded material I would use Quick Start with frozen shrimp food from a pet store. I find dosing with Quick Start when I add fish to a tank prevents any spikes.

Last edited by Hilde; 02-23-2016 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by themetalchurch View Post
Finnex Planted+ led's, over a bunch of anacharis, crypts, anubias, java moss (that's turning dark brown, probably dying?), java fern, and other various plants
Seems you are starting off wisely for you got a great light.

Ferns and moss like phosphates. In most cities the water is dosed with phosphates thus most do not dose ferts with ferns and mosses. Dosing with Mono-potassium Phosphate will probably bring the moss back. For it is hard plant to get rid once you have it. The other plants look like the root tabs are sufficient for them.

I took all off the moss out of my main tank for I could get it to stay in 1 spot. Now I have a clump which is attached to a piece piece of wood. Must have grow from a strand left behind.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
You may want to dim that light by raising it or putting screen under it. Planted + is a bit much for a low tech on a 20 high.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
You may want to dim that light by raising it or putting screen under it. Planted + is a bit much for a low tech on a 20 high.
+1

If you didn't have anacharis, java moss you could dose with excel. It so nice to have a tank which you don't have to dose excel though. I have 1 I dose with excel and 1 i don't.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll look into this. I'm not opposed to eventually getting a co2 set up, definitely DIY in the sense I'd get the tank and gauge etc separately and id imagine save some money in the long run. For now how overkill would you say this light is? I'm running it for 6 hours a day.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I noticed my water level is getting a little low (just at the bottom lip of the rim), if I'm filling up I feel like I might as well do a pwc I was thinking 25%. Is that a smart idea or no? The tank is still super cloudy from the bacterial bloom.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update end of Week I

Things are coming together. Everything seems to be settling in. The anacharis is looking a little rough but I don't plan on keeping that forever anyway. Would love to eventually start working on a carpet of dwarf baby tears starting in the center, and replace the anacharis for rotala rotundifolia. Starting to get an idea of stocking it, basically would like 2 schools of 6-8 of something small (silver tip tetra's caught my eye), a pair of badis badis (preferably not the red variant), and then ?? for algae control. Let me know what everyone thinks. Here is the first week of levels. From the information I've gleaned I can add a couple "hardy" fish once everything settles down "in a week or two" as it says in the sudeepmandal.com guide. Is that correct, what would be a good fish/invert/whatever to stock first to help establish everything? I'm going to begin dosing excel and a pared down EI starting this Monday. Considering DIY paintball co2 set up but want to give it a few months to make sure it's an additional thing I'm willing to take on.

One novice mistake I made was planting my Java Fern. Didn't realize that would kill it off very quickly but think I remedied the situation quick enough for them to come back. Ended up tying them to some small rocks I have left over from a terrarium, which was a very unpleasant experience to say the least. My big fat fingers have a hard time with thread haha.

Levels:

2/20/16
pH: 6.9
HR pH: 7.8
ammonia: .5ppm

2/22/16
pH: 6.8/7.0
ammonia: 1.0 ppm

2/24/16
pH: 7.0-7.2
ammonia: 1ppm
nitrate: 15ppm

2/26/16
pH: 7.1
ammonia: 1ppm
nitrite: .75ppm

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/33Als

Last edited by themetalchurch; 02-27-2016 at 01:23 AM. Reason: I wanna talk to Brett Weir!!!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This will be the dosing schedule I'll be following:

1/8 teaspoon of KNO3, 1x a week
1/16 teaspoon of KH2PO4, 1x a week
1mls of Seachem Flourish, 2x a week
SeaChem Equilibrium 1/8th once a week (Immediately after weekly water change)
25% weekly water change
Dose 1-1.5x the recommended dose for Excel (1 ml for every 10 gallons on a daily basis and 5ml for every 10 gallon after 40% or more water changes)

Does that sound okay? I am dosing on the low end in exchange for only doing 25% weekly wc. I'd definitely prefer that but if it will have negative effects I'll do the full 50%
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'll look into this. I'm not opposed to eventually getting a co2 set up, definitely DIY in the sense I'd get the tank and gauge etc separately and id imagine save some money in the long run. For now how overkill would you say this light is? I'm running it for 6 hours a day.
Here is a cheap Co2 system. Those with a solenoid are around $200.

I think if you have a 3hrs siesta with lights on 2hrs you will be alright.
Something like this - on 2hrs/ off 3hrs/ on 2hrs.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Here is a cheap Co2 system. Those with a solenoid are around $200.

I think if you have a 3hrs siesta with lights on 2hrs you will be alright.
Something like this - on 2hrs/ off 3hrs/ on 2hrs.
I've been doing 3 on, 3 off, 3 on. It seems to be working for me, if I see some algae blooming I'll cut it down. Hoping excel helps. Definitely not dropping $200 on anything else for this project any time soon. I'll either do the diy paintball rig for like $75-80 including the filled tank or just stick with excel. What I can't seem to figure out about running one without a solenoid is how harmful it is if I'd run it at 1bpm or so 24 hours a day. That's down the line for me anyway.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Made some changes today, added a pre filter on the intake, and got rid of the charcoal filter in favor of a second mechanical. Still cloudy and I think the drift wood may be leeching tannins but it will come along eventually. Excel is doing a really good job. Didn't expect it to make growth noticeable after only using it for three days. Today was fertilizer day, just dumped them in dry but think I will mix them with water in the future. Don't like seeing the granules on my plants. Probably will go get the first fish next week. Just got a floating thermometer, I'm right on the money at 78 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1456773680804.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	598665  

Name:	image_1456773719389.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	598673  

Name:	image_1456773752070.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	598681  

Name:	image_1456773804423.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	598689  

Name:	image_1456773838555.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	598697  

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
This will be the dosing schedule I'll be following:

1/8 teaspoon of KNO3, 1x a week
1/16 teaspoon of KH2PO4, 1x a week
1mls of Seachem Flourish, 2x a week
SeaChem Equilibrium 1/8th once a week (Immediately after weekly water change)
25% weekly water change
Dose 1-1.5x the recommended dose for Excel (1 ml for every 10 gallons on a daily basis and 5ml for every 10 gallon after 40% or more water changes)

Does that sound okay? I am dosing on the low end in exchange for only doing 25% weekly wc. I'd definitely prefer that but if it will have negative effects I'll do the full 50%
I'd test your nitrate levels after dosing and right after a water change to see what that dosing gives you. I think most folks try to stay between 10 and 20 ppm, especially with livestock. Also, once you have cycled the tank and added fish, you'll want to back off the nitrate dosing, maybe altogether, depending on how much is added by fish food/waste. Just keep testing to see what levels you're at once you have fish.

For the Excel, I'd do a double dose daily unless you have species that tend to be sensitive to it. (Anacharis may be one, I can't remember; just keep an eye on it.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll test the levels in just a bit. Next water change will be in a week. I've been dosing what I assume is the normal daily dosage of excel. I need to get a more precise way of measuring it besides "I think that's half a capful"
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Today's levels:

pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0-.25ppm
Nitrite: 5ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm
KH: 53.7ppm
GH: 107.4ppm

Now the KH/GH levels may not be totally correct. It's the first time I've done those tests. Where does this put me in the cycle? Ammonia is obviously down very low, but nitrate and nitrites are sky high.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode