Norg's 5.5 gal planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Norg's 5.5 gal planted tank

Hey guys,
New here but it seems like you have quite the community, very nice! Recently I have come across some very cool planted nano tanks, I had bought a 5.5 gallon to be my fuge for my 3 gal pic tank but I found it to be easier to just mod a HOB filter for the same purposes. I lost the receipt for the tank, so I started thinking what to do.... Another salt tank is kinda out of the question, I just dont have the money for lights, rock, and everything it takes for a proper reef aquarium, so I decided on a heavily planted freshwater tank. I already have a 55gal which is planted, but it isnt running co2 and has less than stellar lighting. I concluded on making a sister tank to my 55.

Anyway, due to lack of funds I decided I would do everything in a DIY manner. I have a clamp on flood light with a 75w daylight bulb, a palm filter which I had from my pico, substrate from my 55, a heater that was just lying around, and a co2 reactor made from a water bottle, airline tubing, and a chop stick.
Total, this tank has costed me just over 30 dollars.

In the pictures the light seems to only light the middle, not totally sure why. It lights the sides too but is more concentrated in the center. I like the look of it though.

DIY co2

Chopstick diffuser. lol

FTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Nice start! I have never seen a chopstick diffuser before - did you make that up on your own? Very creative!

What type of bulb is that? If it's a normal bulb, it won't do your plants much good.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I forgot to pick up an airstone so I started thinking of porous alternatives and this is what I came up with. It works like a charm and I think it is much less of an eye sore than an air stone is.

My bulb is a 75w daylight plus halogen bulb. So I should be all good. The plants look happy so far.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 05:34 PM

Halogen probably won't do. They're very inefficient you're lumen output probably won't be high enough.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just thought I would post pictures of some new additions and progress.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode