14g by funkyfish :) (work in progress) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
14g by funkyfish :) (work in progress)

Finally I got around of making a journal for this tank. It's been going for a while but plants weren't doing good at all except moss. I added a bag of flourite yesterday, I never thought it would be that messy even after rinsing it this is what my tank ended up as

This is after couple of hours so it not as bad, when i just added the flourite it literally looked like this water in the bucket after rinsing it like 30 times

Good thing I removed my cherry barbs when I realized it will be messy. My poor barbs are in my 2.5g nursery, not for long only until I plant everything and get it looking somewhat decent, which should be done tomorrow.

Here is a little more info on the tank:
The tank is 14g tall
Substrate is flourite mixed with regular gravel (I think I might have a little too much gravel in there... )
Lightning is fluorescent hood that came with the tank
Filter Aqueon
Power sweep power head

Flora:
I'm planing to have more moss than anything in there but will have some plants.
For now there is some water spryte or whatever left from it
Wisteria or whatever left from that one (I really hope that with flourite they will come back)
And the other plant I am not sure whats the name of it.
Current mosses are:
Java
Taiwan
Flame moss

I really want some Christmas moss for a moss wall and fissidens fontanus because I have a nice manzanita branch in the shape of a tree so I think since fissidens do get attached to wood it will be perfect for a tree

Fauna:
Ramshorn snails
6 Cherry barbs
Possibly some CPDs

Here is a picture taken today I tried to fix gravel and planted some plants in. But this is temporary spot for them until tomorrow. Please don't mind the dirty glass and the substrate, it will be evened out.
Is it too much substrate???

I have a nice piece of mopany wood with flame moss attached to it.
It needs a big trim before going back into the tank. I also have a small Taiwan moss wall that could be going in there it might be need to be replanted first tho.

So this it is for now I will be working on the tank tomorrow and hoping to post some more pictures.

Any suggestions and comments are always welcome

Thanks for looking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here are some pictures from today. This tank needs a lot of work but it's a temporary home for my cherry barbs, they will be moved to 55g eventually.

I removed flame moss from the driftwood it was out of control so I need to reattach it, and make some more moss rocks.

The pictures are not the greatest it's hard to take pictures of this tank because of the placement. I want to get a double tank stand so I can put my 10g and this one together.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Looks like a good start, how do you get your moss to stick to your dw like that?

Piano

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
patience? l have to say l really like that dw piece with flame moss. Maybe with a little haircut depending on how it looks when you put it in the tank will perfect it's look.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Looks like a good start, how do you get your moss to stick to your dw like that?
Thanks! Not very happy with it tho, I wish I had some MTS instead of flourite. But eventually I will get some better light for it and will make it into a moss garden and will be a breeding tank for CPDs, for now it serves as temporary home to my Cherry barbarians until my 55g is set up.

I attached it with a fishing line. After it grows you can't even see it. I was hoping that it will attach eventually but it didn't maybe only a couple of strands did. I think the only moss that can attach itself to wood or rocks is fissidens fontanus which I will get soon hopefully.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
patience? l have to say l really like that dw piece with flame moss. Maybe with a little haircut depending on how it looks when you put it in the tank will perfect it's look.
Lots of patience which I don't have LOL

Thanks! The dw is nice but I removed the flame moss since some of it went blah on me because I never trimmed it. I will reattach the moss tomorrow hopefully, after 4 hours I spent today catching my CPDs in my 10g I don't think I want to be near my tanks for couple of days
I also want to make a small java moss wall. I have java moss that been standing in the container for a month or more so I need to do something with it.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here some more pictures from today
I didn't do much just planted couple of stems of brazilian pennywort and added 5 CPDs would've been more if I could catch them

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
On a side note on making a java wall, some mosses tend to look/grow in a better shape than others. l would send you the link of where l read it at but i'm pretty sure you could find it with some googling. Those cherry barbs really stand out in your tank. Once your plants grow in a bit more they'll stand out even more behind all that green.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Sounds groovy, er what are CPDs?

Piano

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
On a side note on making a java wall, some mosses tend to look/grow in a better shape than others. l would send you the link of where l read it at but i'm pretty sure you could find it with some googling. Those cherry barbs really stand out in your tank. Once your plants grow in a bit more they'll stand out even more behind all that green.
I think I read it somewere too. Java moss wall wasn't my first choice, I run out of my taiwan moss it's all attached to rock and there is a taiwan moss wall in my 2.5g. I just have to do something with it for now because it's not looking too well, since I let it sit in a container for a long time. So my plan is let it grow for a bit on the moss wall, I hope it will become a bit healthier and then I just mow it and attach to something else.

Oh I hope that those plants will grow, they doing much better I lost a lot plants in this tank

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Sounds groovy, er what are CPDs?
CPD stand for Celestial Pearl Danio also known as galaxy rasbora My favorite fish

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Aha! thanks, I'm very much a nub when it comes to all of this fish lingo.

Piano

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:16 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
wow, that is an ooooooooold ebo heater

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode