Mrs. Nanoguy's 10g Classroom Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mrs. Nanoguy's 10g Classroom Tank

Well, after setting up our 120g in the livingroom the next logic step was to set up another tank. My wife has been wanting another classroom tank since her saltwater Biocube with a pair of clownfish developed a crack and had to be taken down.

So, enter her new 10g planted tank. It's currently set up in the house to allow it to grow in a bit, make sure there aren't any issues up front and teach her a little more about taking care of it (she is pretty proficient on her own but it's her first planted tank).

Anywho, I'll try to keep up with it but we'll see how it goes. I wanted ADA soil but the only LFS in Houston I could find with any aquasoil only had Mr. Aqua which I assume is pretty much the same makeup. I will say that although it may be better for growing plants, after having pool filter sand in my 120g planting in aquasoil is a padded pain in the b-hole. I like to never got this stuff to stay in the ground despite dropping way too much money on a pair of overpriced (oversized) SS tweezers.

Tank: Standard 10g
Light: Beamswork 18 x 1w LED
Filter: AC30 (sunsun canister coming)
Heater: 50w something or other
Substrate: Mr. Aqua Aquasoil
Plants: Crypts, rotala, s. repens, some other stuffs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 02:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very nice! What store in H-town sells Mr. Aqua? I frequently visit the Bellaire area, love Houston!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2500 gallon koi pond
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got it at Fish Gallery, ADG sells the ADA but they were closed Monday. They actually called us back and offered to open the shop to sell us a bag but I felt bad about having them do that so I passed.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Soooooo, it looks like something is munching on plants. I've only caught two small snails from the tank but I haven't seen any actually eating plants. There are now two platys in the tank but same with them and I've never had any livebearers munch plants.

Thoughts?

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Plants are making a comeback, I'm assuming there was a little dieoff and snails were eating the dead portions of the leaves. There is very little evidence of munched leaves anymore with the exception of some of the older (lower) s. repens leaves.

Current tank inhabitants now:
5 "rainbow" platys
2 female guppies (inherited, nowhere else to go)
5 amano shrimp
various fry which will eventually be moved

Was getting a little algae at first but it has since disappeared. Tank is on autopilot right now. It needs a top, evaporation is a PITA but everything else is easy peasy. I think we've only done one water change since setup.

First pic is current, second is comparison between right after setup and current which is almost a month later. Letting the s. repens growout a bit more before cutting and replanting.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
It's looking really nice. I like the serenity of the hardscape and the way it's planted is really nice.

--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, I was pleasantly surprised how it came out considering I have no idea what I'm doing. Was originally supposed to be driftwood hardscape but after weeks of soaking the piece we had still would sink. Decided to try rocks and I think I like it better.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoguy View Post
Thanks, I was pleasantly surprised how it came out considering I have no idea what I'm doing. Was originally supposed to be driftwood hardscape but after weeks of soaking the piece we had still would sink. Decided to try rocks and I think I like it better.
Did you boil the driftwood? I have had good success with that. We'll see when I flood the tank tomorrow if my spider wood stays down though, hahah.

--

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
That looks fantastic! Your plant placement is very pleasing to the eye. So nice to see more 10 gallon PLANTED tanks in other classrooms!
ibebian and ibebian like this.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchimedesTheDog View Post
Did you boil the driftwood? I have had good success with that. We'll see when I flood the tank tomorrow if my spider wood stays down though, hahah.
No we didn't try boiling it. Only thing large enough was our gumbo pot and that wasn't going to happen

I am kind of glad we didn't go with the wood. She really likes how it turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
That looks fantastic! Your plant placement is very pleasing to the eye. So nice to see more 10 gallon PLANTED tanks in other classrooms!
Thank you, I am a horrible aquascaper and really had no idea what I was doing. It seems to flow ok and it is filling in nicely. We are planning on moving it to the classroom this weekend (this is their spring break). We've been keeping it at the house while she gets the hang of handling it alone and to make sure the algae didn't go haywire.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 05:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Vibrant and clean!

What kind of rocks are those?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoguy View Post
No we didn't try boiling it. Only thing large enough was our gumbo pot and that wasn't going to happen

I am kind of glad we didn't go with the wood. She really likes how it turned out.
It does look nice. If my wood doesn't work I'm going to do something "inspired" by yours for sure.
bereninga and bereninga like this.

--

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
It does look nice. If my wood doesn't work I'm going to do something "inspired" by yours for sure.
Hahah Wait, are we still talking about fish tanks here?

||
||
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post

--

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Back to Houston yesterday for shrimp and pygmy cories, ended up buying them AND new livingroom furniture

Added the 5 corys to the 10g, they are tiny little fish. Makes me with I would have added about 50 to the 120g, would be a cool school of bottom dwellers. As it is I think they fit the tank very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Vibrant and clean!

What kind of rocks are those?
I wish I knew, the LFS in Houston we got them from just has piles of different rocks and she picked them out because they "looked nice", I couldn't really argue.

Quote:
I am kind of glad we didn't go with the wood. My 120g is very stained from tannins and neither of us care for it. I am sure it would go away eventually but to me it looks cleaner this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post

Did I accidentally log on to Nano-Reef.com?

Quote:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode