First go at planted tank/aquascaping - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First go at planted tank/aquascaping

A random stop into Petco one afternoon spiraled into me doing a bunch of research online about aquariums and fish and somehow I ended up a week later with a smaller bank account and the below:

I loved seeing what people out there are doing with their fish tanks with the aquascaping and I tried to (emphasis on tried to) replicate some of the ones I've seen.

I went with a 29 gallon tank, Aquatic Life Marquis HO T5 light (might be adding an LED supplemental light since I've heard the dwarf hairgrass needs the extra light, Eco-complete substrate, Aquaclear 110 filter, Aqueon 100w heater, and a couple of live plants. (Dwarf Hairgrass, Anubias nana tied to the manzanita, Cryps, Amazon sword, and a couple more I forget)

Going low tech for this setup and supplementing with daily dose of Flourish Excel for CO2.

Stocked the tank with 3 zebra danios, one guppy (had two in there but one got sucked up by the Aquaclear, so put that sponge prefilter on the intake tube) and 1 zebra nerite snail for now. This tank is an upgrade from a 10 gallon tank - and I transferred the above from the 10. The 10 still has a baby pictus catfish, a mexican dwarf lobster, two dwarf gouramis and a ghost shrimp. Once the tank has cycled I'll be adding all the others to the 29 and also adding a school of 10-12 (not sure what yet- neon tetras? any suggestions for a good schooling fish for a 29?)

Please let me know what you all think of the above setup and anything you would change in terms of making the tank look better and also perform better. Looking forward to hearing your comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bc0b84dd-088b-4dec-8000-48c70135a06b.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	592945  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude2k View Post
A random stop into Petco one afternoon spiraled into me doing a bunch of research online about aquariums and fish and somehow I ended up a week later with a smaller bank account and the below:

I loved seeing what people out there are doing with their fish tanks with the aquascaping and I tried to (emphasis on tried to) replicate some of the ones I've seen.

I went with a 29 gallon tank, Aquatic Life Marquis HO T5 light (might be adding an LED supplemental light since I've heard the dwarf hairgrass needs the extra light, Eco-complete substrate, Aquaclear 110 filter, Aqueon 100w heater, and a couple of live plants. (Dwarf Hairgrass, Anubias nana tied to the manzanita, Cryps, Amazon sword, and a couple more I forget)

Going low tech for this setup and supplementing with daily dose of Flourish Excel for CO2.

Stocked the tank with 3 zebra danios, one guppy (had two in there but one got sucked up by the Aquaclear, so put that sponge prefilter on the intake tube) and 1 zebra nerite snail for now. This tank is an upgrade from a 10 gallon tank - and I transferred the above from the 10. The 10 still has a baby pictus catfish, a mexican dwarf lobster, two dwarf gouramis and a ghost shrimp. Once the tank has cycled I'll be adding all the others to the 29 and also adding a school of 10-12 (not sure what yet- neon tetras? any suggestions for a good schooling fish for a 29?)

Please let me know what you all think of the above setup and anything you would change in terms of making the tank look better and also perform better. Looking forward to hearing your comments.
Welcome to the forum!

HA! That's funny. That's sounds exactly how I got my first tank. I was walking through the isles of PetCo and had the same experience. I also started off with a 10...then got a 29 gallon. what the. lol Now...I have over 10 tanks...and more to come. P.S. I don't go to PetCo/PetSmart anymore unless something like a heater breaks.

There are hundreds of options for schooling fish for a nano tank and I think the best source for you to really get an idea of what is available is to check out this book: http://smile.amazon.com/Best-Freshwater-Nano-Species-Invertebrates/dp/0982026250?sa-no-redirect=1 This is honestly going to be your best route because the majority of the people (including myself) are going to suggest the same fish to everyone. Mostly because those are our favorites. I always feel it's best to know all of your options and then go from there. One of the authors, Rachel O'Leary, is a member on the forum and she knows her stuff. She keeps a majority of those fish in stock if you are ever interested in getting them. I'd contact her about it on her http://msjinkzd.com/ or on here @msjinkzd if you're interested. She'll certain be of help.

As far as recommendations for scaping, I'd suggesting finding some more nice stem plants for the back. It looks empty and the stems will help fill in that area. Something like Water Wisteria, Water Sprite, Ludwigia Repens, etc. Those looks nice and are easy to grow.

A good crypt wendtii or amazon sword would do great as a mid ground plant. I also like your rock formation, although due to how things are set up you have created a huge divide in the tank. The rocks on the right. The tree on the left. Either moving the rocks to the left OR adding in more rocks could remove this feeling of seperation. This will give you a chance to create a clearing which will give you an opportunity to add more wide mid ground plants which can also fill in that area.

Good luck!

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Termato; 02-17-2016 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Where to get the fish.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Decided to change things up as I wanted to satisfied with what I started out with.

Substrate is still Eco-complete but needed some more and LFS only had aquasoil so I decided to mix the two. Said no rinse, so I didnt rinse. It clouded my water really bad, but settled down after 24 hours. Only concern now is anytime I want to make changes to my plants or hardscape its going to cloud up my water, is that normal?

Here are the pics- first is about 8 hours after new substrate and the second is this morning about 24 hours later

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Much better! +1

Nice "tree" piece. I got one of them too
I like the little cave/shaded area those rocks on the right side are creating. I am sure that will be a hang out spot for some fish.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks great!

First time PT

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments. The little cave I made was more for the dwarf mexican lobster I have, but I'm sure it will be shared by fish too.

What plants can I/should I add to the manzanita "tree". I had the anubias nana on there at first but sounds like it wont do so well with the high output light i have over my tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode