Jenn's Low Tech Oasis - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)
Jenn's Low Tech Oasis

Thought Id do a journal of my setups since so much has changed over the past year. Ive went crazy and sat up 9 aquariums in my home....focusing on cichlids and plants. Life is good when my two fav aspects of the hobby collide with success

Pair of 75s in my home office/"fish room"

75G with Astronotus crassipinnis....these are supposed to tap out at 9"; she is already there so we shall see if she actually stays put growth wise. Also have a juvie Pink Tailed Chalceus in there, BN, and 2 Pictus.

75G with a young Synspilum, female convict, 7 giant danios, and 1 BN

56G column- honestly one of my favorite tanks as it doesn't change much; and requires little maintenance. Ive got 2 large fantails, and 1 small fantail along with 2 BNs

55G recently setup 2 weeks ago and still dealing with mopani wood leaching everywhere. I also need a better fixture this 3ft T5 isnt cutting it. At any rate Im planning a Green Terror in there when the weather breaks and I can order one; also have 8 Buenos Aires tetras.

4ft 50G...another super low maintenance tank, yes that back wall is a thick coat of green algae. I leave it because I honestly like how it looks....nothing in here but a hand full of juvie Firemouths and 9 tiger barbs.

3ft 50G...recently rescaped with just some taller anubias and C.lutea. Once my Red Severum outgrows this tank Ill probably upgrade to a 65G or a 75G if I can find another space for my printer to give me another ft of room. lol

40G breeder...Im going with Malawi cichlids in this one. Just sat this tank up a few days ago and am not totally sure if it will include plants; I would like some anubias or some floating plants but unsure how they would fare with the aragonite sand making the pH and hardness very high. At any rate I will have 12 P.saulosi in there eventually.

And my 29G FOWLR...also an older cell phone shot. It will also be getting a makeover sometime this spring.

Old cell phone shot of my 20G long...it is going to get an overhaul in the coming weeks thus I didnt photograph it today.
Melika, Melika, doggo and 7 others like this.

3x75 gallons|2x55 gallons|2x50 gallons|3x40 gallons|1x29 gallon|1x10 gallon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What is everyone's thoughts on the grey background to my 40B; still debating on whether I like it or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow that's a lot of tanks. Very nice looking and well maintained scapes as well. Do you dose excel?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Love the large anubias mass in your 56g column tank!
At first i thought your Astronotus crassipinnis was a common (but pretty) oscar and was amazed it hadn't dug up all the plants.
As for the 40g background., I'm biased towards black backgrounds myself, but that's just personal preference.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The Crass doesn't touch the plants; just kind of ignores them as part of the environment. And I don't dose excel....I dose a double strength amount of Flourish on WC day that is it.

Yeah Im kinda thinking black too but thought Id try something different.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Your tanks look great. I like the grey. It gives it a very atmospheric look.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks! Yeah I'm still debating on the grey; one day I like it the next I don't. It does give it a more lake Malawi vibe as in all photos I've seen underwater of the lake it does have this blue grey cast. Someone on another forum mentioned the males may not stand out considering they turn blue against the grey backdrop. I think I may leave it alone and see how it looks with fish; I wish this stupid east coast snow would go away so I can place an order to the wet spot.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 04:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
You have some amazing wood pieces in those tanks. I personally like the grey as well.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
I like the Tiger Barb tank a lot!!

-Mikey G
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 05:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ahhh... so many beautiful tanks. I love the fact that you don't have a ton of different fish in each tank, just a few select species - makes them stand out so much more.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on the grey background to my 40B; still debating on whether I like it or not.
Is your background removable? If you're handy with a spray can (or have an airbrush) you could try doing a black to grey gradient. Best of both worlds, and with grey higher up would look like light coming down into the depths.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm afraid my airbrushing skills are atrocious, actually tried it in college which didn't go well. I have seen folks do backgrounds like that on a tank, it looks incredible when done right.

Thanks for the comments! I don't like too many different fish together makes it hard to have proper groups or focus on the star fish.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Need to update the journal....I have acquired some new fish and done some slight re-scaping.

My 20G long has been taken down because I wanted to make room for a new cichlid in the fish room. I have purchased a F1 male Jaguar...he is in my 3ft 50G for now as he is only about 4-5". I will be upgrading him in the near future to a 75G which is sitting dry for the moment. If/When the Jag hits 14" I will upgrade him to a 120G. My Synspilum has also really taken on some adult color now and is lovely....still leaving the plants alone

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Pair of 75s with some increased growth and a slight rescape to the left

55G with GT and Sev

55G with Firemouths, Tetras, and Barbs

40G malawi

Kind of bad pics of the F1 Jag...named this one "Black Phillip"

Mr Freeze the Synspilum showing some adult coloration at 7"

Wild convict which rooms with Mr. Freeze

Sally the Crassipinnis

The domestic GT

Super Red Sev starting to get spots

P.saulosi male starting to turn blue

Female P.saulosi
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 05:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
love it.

A DIY kinda GUY

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode