30 gal new set up - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By ctross09

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thumbs up 30 gal new set up

I decided to restart my 35 gal tank after having it set up for almost 2 years as a dirt substrate tank. I had some issues with blue/green algae for some of the time and decided to start fresh. I'm not sure what condition caused the blue/green algae (maybe the organics of the dirt.. still not sure as I attempted to alter all aspects of tank, but I've moved on and have had no issues yet).

I decided to change to fluorite as the substrate, about 3-4 inches deep with iron tablets distributed throughout.

I have kept the same strip light set-up, but have added two CF flood lights. Its a cheap and effective set-up that I have had a lot of success with in the past with smaller tanks. I researched PAR for various lights and have found a combination of two bulbs that works very well.

I fertilize using EI and have two DIY CO2 set-ups (one into a shot glass, one into a pump to distribute the bubbles).

This tank has been set up for about 3 weeks now, and I've seen awesome growth so far. It is very heavily planted, and I have not seen any algae growth at all, even with the high lighting.

My anacharis grows about a quarter inch every day, the cabomba about the same. The melon swords sprout a new leaf every other day. The jungle val sprout a new leaf every other day as well (and the current leafs have grown about 5 inches the last couple of weeks).

I used to garden with my nanny growing up, and we always designed the beds randomly and with a sense of "disorganization". I love that style and design my tanks the same way. I like the look and feel of over-crowded plants, as it would seem in nature. Tanks that follow landscaping "rules" look just as great to me, though!

fish include 4 Chinese algae eaters, 6 white skirt tetras, two dwarf guoramis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(5).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	591866  

Name:	guorami.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	591882  

Name:	photo(6).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	591890  

doggo and doggo like this.

Last edited by ctross09; 02-15-2016 at 05:06 PM. Reason: more pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really pretty tank!

I decided to change to fluorite as the substrate, about 3-4 inches deep with iron tablets distributed throughout.

I thought Flourite was heavy in iron already. No?

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Really pretty tank!

I thought Flourite was heavy in iron already. No?
Thanks!! I made an error- I put root tabs throughout (which contain other macronutrients as well as iron). The root dominant plants are really loving it ! But yes, fluorite is a clay compound with iron in it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Only one week since my last post on this tank and my tank is already in need of another trimming (I trimmed two days after the last post 2/17/16). The jungle val has grown another several inches. Each sagittaria has shot off a few runners and some are flowering above the surface. Swords continue to sprout new leaves every other day. Wisteria almost shade out the entire left side of the tank they are growing so fast. The chinese algae eaters have grown fairly large in a matter of a week as well!

Can anyone identify the eggs on the sword leaf?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank week 3.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	594801  

Attached Images

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode