29 gallon update 56k - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
29 gallon update 56k

Hello everybody. I should have said hello when a registered a week ago but I didn't think I had much to show. I'll give it a go.
EDIT:
lights: Coralife 30" with Colormax and 6700k
substrate: sand from home depot
filter: HOB Aqueon 30
plants: wisteria, western milfoil, l. repens, giant hair grass, swords (unsure species)
fish: 6 glowlight tetras, 3 otocats, 4-5 ghost shrimp
heater: cheapo for a 10 gallon (room temp keeps at 75 -77F but i keep it in for colder nights)

I've been keeping fish and plants, nothing rare or requiring too much care, for a couple of years, but as I've been moving around a bit I haven't been able to see any of my low tech scapes mature. Now that I'm in a stable place, I decided I would try again in my new location. Yet after a disaster from Camallanus nematodes brought in by petco bought guppy, I've been sitting and waiting a month and half till the worms life cycle is complete and any remaining worms have died. On monday is when I can introduce new plants, fish, and/or inverts.

My plants are wimpy as they're missing the fish poo for fertilizer.

I'm thinking of getting just 3 cories or so and building up to a larger school. Then some harlequins later on. Thanks for viewing! I'm open to suggestions as well.

Last edited by rushr; 02-26-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have you check the parameters on the tank to be sure it's safe to add fish?

I think building up to a larger school slowly is a good idea. Helps give your tank time to stabilize and gives you time to think about what you want

20G High Tech
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushr View Post
Yet after a disaster from Camallanus nematodes brought in by petco bought guppy.
Happened to me too. I Refrain from buying any fish from Petco now on.
Dog dewormer is what i used to kill the worms off.

Support your locally owned fish store!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp #420

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ammonia 0 (or yellow on the card)
nitrites 0
The kit doesn't have a test for nitrates but I've been changing the water every other week despite having no fish. I agree on the stabilizing. I thought about just going for 6 but I don't think I have enough bacteria and plants to keep them from getting their little barbels burnt.

green024: It was terrible. I tried safe guard and the worms starting to hang out and die but my guppies ending up laying on the gravel from the ordeal. I think I got to them too late
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:30 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
ughhhhhh, darn that PETCO!
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oddly enough my local LFS sells more kittens than fish and the local petsmart is well kept.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 04:12 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
i guess it really does vary... my big chain stores that i have been to arent too good though
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

29 gallon update (i think some good things are happening)65k

Went a bit over my cautious plan of buying 3 cories and last monday I bought 3 glowlight tetras, 5 ghost shrimp, and 3 otos instead Advice is to not buy otos until a tank is established and I would usually obey but they were $1 per fish at the local Petsmart and surprising didn't have sunken bellies or pale color. All are doing well

After a week of settling in, I've noticed some interesting behavior. The tetras will follow the otos and at times school with them. No nipping just chilling in the same place together which is fun to watch.

After their first water change tonight, one of the tetras started chasing another and are rubbing bellies under the cover of the wisteria. The one being chased looks rounder than the other so I'm thinking it's a female and they're perhaps thinking about fry

The plants are about the same. The water wisteria is doing well but my swords are still looking pale. I've turned off the bubbles as they create too much water movement for the fish and the water probably retains more CO2 now. Maybe I'll do DIY Co2 through it sometime. Do cigarette filters work as diffusers?

Last edited by rushr; 02-23-2010 at 05:52 AM.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Your Glowlight Tetras are awesome!
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Well, I can't help much with answering your questions, but I do like the initial planting and stocking with this tank. Those spindly branches give a look that I haven't really seen before. It's growing on me. I just hope that they don't rot on you, since from the pictures they seem pretty supple still. It could just be the picture though. Regardless, nice work with the tank, and overcoming the nematode invasion.

Oh, and it might look nicer if you filled the tank all the way up to the trim, too. You wont see the waterline or have to look at water deposits there.

Feeling adventurous? Maybe check out my current
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for commenting and the praise

I'm living dangerously again (i should've have learned from the nematodes) as the super bright glowlights came from Walmart (gasp). Although in my defense, there was no ich, fin rot, bloating, emaciation, or floaters in their and the other tanks so I went for it.

I'm concerned about the wood too. I do have some fuzz growing. Again with the dangerous, I collected some brushwood laying on the ground and I don't know what type it is (I'm leaning towards maple or cherry(not good) as it's reddish. It snapped when I bent it and there was no green so I decided to go for it. The thinner twigs still snap after soaking for a month and no fish is showing signs of stress from woody toxins.

I did fill the tank up all the way today after a water change. When my plants show some more growth I'll do a FTS.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Some new pics:

I've picked up some L. repens, milfoil, and giant hair grass and moved some branches around a little. The swords are still struggling so I'm going to buy some kind of root tabs. And I now have 6 glowlights, all of whom are still getting frisky in the bushes

Haven't decided on whether to get cories. I'm thinking of getting a top dwelling fish of some kind...so many choices

I apologize for the blinding substrate. It's actually more brown in person and I'm still trying to figure out my camera. I'd like to get some foreground plants to fill in the free space but will wait till the weather is not bum chapping cold.

Any suggestions or advice on plant placement or anything really is certainly welcome.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I really like your tank so far. It's really grown in quite a bit. Looking forward to your progress.

"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
This looks super, I agree with Dr. Acula on the spindly branches; a unique and quite attractive look for the tank. Your planting scheme looks great, I think you should just keep filling it in from the corners as you've been doing, advancing toward the now-bare center of the tank.

How are those glowlights doing? I'm curious to hear if you've observed further signs of mating.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks fastfeddie and Voozle! It's great to get feedback.

I went fish shopping about a week or two ago and bought 2 upside down cats and 3 longfin zebrafish. I was thinking they would add a bit of movement in the top section and i would slowly add fish to the 3 to make a school. Well they added movement alright. They scared all other fish into the plants with their swift chasing including the glowlights that always hang out in the open. I've had them before and in hindsight should have predicted nipping with just three. They are now in my 10 gallon in time out together.

Trying to get them out of the tank led to ripping out branches, much frustration, and a quite ingenious potato sack mesh + coat hanger net. To my delight, the branches are holding up except for the end of the main one that i broke off in anger at trying to capture the speedy devils.

Anyway, the tank is a little different now. I will update with picture tomorrow.

About the glowlights, they haven't been nearly as friendly since i've started feeding flake. I get a little nervous about bloat when feeding them straight blood worms as they sparsely nibble vegetation (broccoli, algae wafers, nori, peas). Though they are characins and blood worms mostly water so perhaps I worry too much.

Thank you again for clicking!

Tags
29 gallon, journal, low tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode