Is my bubble counter broken? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is my bubble counter broken?

Ive had the gro1 basic system for probably atleast 6 months and it works great but straight from the get go the bubble counter never really held its water. The water would be 3/4 full and slowly lower every day til it was empty to the point where i didnt bother refilling it because it ALWAYS happened.

I just attributed it to the fact that i was running 10+bps and the bubbles were slowly popping water up the tube but now i feel like that shouldnt happen. Is there a reason my bubble counter is like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would attribute towards the same assumption as well. I've had my gro-1 running since February set at 3-4 bps and notice the same thing you are experiencing, obviously not to the same extent as running 10 bps but I've not let it go dry yet. When the solenoid shuts off, there is a tiny bubble still attached to where it enters the bubble counter so I know it isn't draining into regulator and all co2 line connections are leak free.

I'd say with that high of a bubble rate, and that it is just water, its probably being forced through the tube and out of your diffuser. The reason they don't recommend oils on the bubble counter if you run atomizers. The oils can travel minusculey through the co2 line and clog the atomizer over time. Since oil doesn't evaporate, the bubble counter should stay full unless its faulty. Since water does evaporate, and if using ro/di/distilled water to fill the BC, it can be pushed through the co2 line much easier by the high bubble rate but it shouldn't clog the atomizer because the water doesn't have dissolved solids to leave behind.

Having said that, I've read about people running it dry without issue on a regular basis. It's a just a visual reference for the rate of Co2 dispersal.

So I guess I have the same question as you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode