The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Biological Filtration Survey
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 06:12 PM
minorhero
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is there anything folks on this forum like to talk about more then filtration? ;P

I'm half serious with that question, its such a hot topic because everyone has an opinion since what they are doing (whatever it is) tends to work pretty good. This alone should tell the OP that filtration options offer a WIDE therapeutic window (to ruthlessly co-opt a term).

To answer the original question though of whether you need specific biological media (meaning ceramic discs or similar) in your filter to keep your tank healthy the answer is a qualified no. The qualification being around how high stocking involves. If you are stocking your tank like its a fish store tank, then yeah.. you need something as biomedia. If on the other hand you either have it understock to slightly overstocked then you are going to be fine with the setup you described.

As mentioned everything that comes in contact with the water in your tank is going to grow bacteria. There is nothing magical about the ceramic discs, bio balls, or whatever. They just are providing surface area.

I can't help but point out though that there is a semantic problem here as well that we should probably clear up. Some folks may be referring to biomedia meaning a thing sold to us as biological media (like ceramic discs etc) while others may be referring to biomedia as anything in a filter that grows bacteria. If you put a piece of sponge in your filter for purposes of cheap, reusable mechanical filtration. That sponge may be there as 'mechanical' filtration but you can be 100% certain it is also growing bacteria and providing biological filtration as well. This is my preferred method of filtering my tanks. I use just sponge in my filters and typically only have a bag of ceramic rings in there for the purpose of seeding new tanks as needed. So that means right now that out of my 3 tanks, only 1 has some ceramic rings. /shrug just something to keep in mind. Hopefully some of this ramble on my part is helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome