The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Biological Filtration Survey
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 04:10 AM
alphabeta
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I recently bought 1L of Seachem Matrix, following rave reviews and suggestion by one popular yourtube Chanel. It looks very porous, indeed.
I put about half of it (0.5L) in canister filter running on my 40gl, and about 1/4 of it used for 10gl tank. Suddenly, the TDS in both tanks started to rise, about 10ppm per day. It took me a while to realize that Matrix is the culprit. I removed most of it, and the TDS stabilized. I placed all removed Matrix media in a bucket of water, and the TDS is increasing, although at slower rate.

Anybody had similar issues? Would it get washed over time and would stop leaching (Ca, Mg or whatever)? I am kind of disappointed, especially since this is not mentioned in product description. I also could not find anything about this on the net.

additional info: the tap water is at TDS 160ppm. Both tanks are matured, heavily planted stable tanks. One is low tech (essentially with no ferts added), and one is high tech (following a lean EI).

46 Bowfront:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alphabeta; 11-19-2020 at 07:15 PM. Reason: deleted dublicated text

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome