The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Shrimp Substrate - I'm at a total loss
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 10:46 PM
Roboto
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrow1 View Post
I was told that I needed to keep adding water with KH to counter the effects of the substrate. Is that not true? Also - does the amount of stratum in the tank matter? I've been trying to scoop it out, but wasn't sure if it had to be removed completely to minimize the effect.
I don't believe that's true. The amount of stratum will matter to a degree. The less there is, the sooner the buffering properties will run out.
As a few of us mentioned though, there's really no harm in keeping a near 0 kh tank.
I would imagine if you're starting out with tap water that isn't too high kh, and you keep your water changes to 10% each week you'll probably be fine with your current setup.

Are you keeping any other livestock in the tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome