The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Shrimp Substrate - I'm at a total loss
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 10:08 PM
Roboto
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't think there will be any real problem with keeping your neos in 0 kh, but someone can certainly correct me.

As varanidguy pointed out above though, you'll want to make sure the water you're putting in has 0 kh otherwise you'll be adding water with some kh and the soil will work to take it down to 0 meaning your shrimp will be enduring significant changing conditions with each water change.

For my neos (and most of my tanks) I use an inert substrate (eco complete on top of flourish black sand) with RO water (plus equilibrium to add GH) and everyone does well. Tanks sit around 175tds, 6.8ph and less than 1kh.

I plan to do a different shrimp tank soon with cardinias which need a lower TDS and would benefit from a lower PH so I just plan to use less of the equilibrium product. I might use a buffering substrate, but I haven't 100% decided yet. I don't like the idea of buffering substrates as the buffering quality eventually runs out and a substrate change becomes required which is kind of an annoying prospect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome