The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Shrimp Substrate - I'm at a total loss
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
ABrow1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp Substrate - I'm at a total loss

Hi,

I have a shrimp tank that's been set up for about 6 weeks. I have two neos in it. When I started, I had a dirt tank with Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix and a gravel cap. Four amazon swords, micro swords, water sprite, and lots of frogbit and duckweed. The TDS kept inching up faster than it should, and the KH and GH were too high. I had to do a distilled drip on it for days and days to get the TDS down. I was told on a forum that it was the soil that was causing the problem, and to switch it out for Fluval Stratum.

I did that day before yesterday. Now, the PH is around 6.6, and the KH is 0 and the GH is 6. No matter what I add, the KH stays at 0. This is just as bad if not worse than my other problem. I have no idea what to do. The last thing I want to do is tear it down again and change out the substrate, but why would Fluval Stratum be marketed toward keeping inverts if it takes all the KH away?

This tank has become the worst money pit, and I just want to find some sort of substrate where I can keep swords and shrimp and not have to change a gallon every day. Please help

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome