The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - High Tech Newt Tank
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
minorhero
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
Well look who's back from the dendroboards! Very cool stand idea.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanky! Yeah, I'm still over at dendroboard a lot but I got a setback on my big dart frog tank so I'm taking a step back a regrouping on that project. That said, I am having a bit of fun building out this tank in what is essentially a long involved take down of my Walstad Fish Bowl.

In other news a small update.

I went ahead and built what I am hoping will be my inline reactor last night. I was originally going to use a piece of 2" pvc pipe but ended up going even smaller by just using a coupler.

Here are the parts laid out in an exploded form:

The elbow needed to be heavily mutilated errr modified to make it work. I was planning to do this with my dremel but the darn cullet broke so I used an electric drill and a dremel sanding drum.

I also needed to widen inside of the 3/4 x 2 inch bushing to get the elbow to fit the way I wanted but in the end I don't need a pressure tight fitting here. Just good enough will be plenty.

Outside look:

The water will flow down the unmodified bushing and will run into this:

Completed look:

The idea is to create a chamber where the normal flow of water is disrupted and slowed down. Into this chamber I will inject co2 which will hopefully be dissolved in the disrupted water.

Newts don't like acidic water so I won't be injecting a lot of co2. I am thinking around 1 bubble every 3 or 4 seconds. So this reactor doesn't need to do a lot. Will it work?? Not sure, and I won't be till I test it in action. If it does work it will have the advantage of being small and maintenance free as well as cheap to build. If it doesn't work.. well I get to build another one ;P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome