Time to make a light! Or at least, time to make a fixture. I wanted something a little industrial looking, and also I didn't want to spend any money ;P.
So I used a mahogany board I already had left over from another project and milled it to size. After some work on the table saw I was ready for my glue-up:
After this I could begin drilling holes for the cord to run through. I decided pretty quickly I wanted to cover up much of the exposed cord so I made a U channel in another piece of mehagany and used that to cover up the cord on top of the fixture holder.
At this point it was essentially done. A little sanding, soldering on a power cord, and drilling and tapping the stand so it could attach and TA-DA!
The bulb I chose to go into this was an RBG smart bulb. Specifically, this one
. It is on the lower end of acceptable as far as brightness is concerned. PPFD values ranged from 15 (in the corners of the would be tank space) to 27 directly under the light at 21".
I should have gone with a BR30 style bulb instead of an A19 but I had hoped it would be slightly stronger. Still its not bad and the app is pretty good. I had planned for this tank to be low to medium light anyway with low amounts of CO2 so this should work out.
Next up I need to buy the tank! I am currently debating a UNS 60U or the Landen equivalent or something else of similar size. Only about half to 3/4 of the tank will be under water so I lean towards getting something taller.