The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - High Tech Newt Tank
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
minorhero
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Since I am not planning to put a rimmed 40 gallon tank on this stand I needed a top that would be strong enough to support a tank, while also being dead flat.

I have been playing around with poured concrete table tops for a few months now and I felt pretty comfortable making one for this stand.

I made a mold out of 3/4" melamine.

The sides are held on with screws and made 'water tight' with silicone in the seams. I used rapid set mortar mix and added some black concrete tint as well. I think it came out reasonably well:

For sealant I just used paste wax because that was all I had on hand. But I think it will be fine, its not a food surface or anything.

Here is the stand installed in my office:

Next up I need to make the light. Or really I just need to make the light fixture. The light itself will be a smart bulb that connects to my amazon echo. Thanks to a recent software update, the amazon echo can now do sunrise and sunset options for dimmable smart bulbs. This makes smart bulbs the cheapest light solution that are fully programable for colors, schedules, and sunrise/sunset effects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome