The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Air pump size question for 29 gallon
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Cinnamonamon
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Air pump size question for 29 gallon

Hi!

I'm putting together a 29 gallon tank at work to hold the guppies, mystery snails & shrimp we use for our kindergarten live sciences curriculum. I'm very excited to be upgrading from a 29 and 4 10 gallon tanks, to 2 29 gallon tanks and a 20 long (oops, just got a text -- it might actually be 3 29 gallon tanks, instead)! The tanks will have a high bioload with the quantity of livestock so I prefer to over filter -- and I also have a forest of crypts, a solid covering of frogbit, and (unfortunately for my aesthetic sensibilities) duckweed. There is also a grass plant in there, called cyperus helfari (I think, lol). I'm going to include a picture of my current 20 long. It has my personal internal filter that I'll be keeping at home, but everything else -- gravel, plants and livestock will all move to a 29 at work. The other new tank (29 or 20) will get some of those plants, and some from other tanks. I'll also be taking the wood out to raise the pH so my snails will do better in there I think.

My question is, what is the best air pump for the sponge filters I'm planning to have work purchase? My plan was 2 sponge filters rated for "up to 55 gallons" each in each tank. Should I have an air pump for each one, or one air pump for both? What size? How would the Tetra Whisper 60 do? I have half a dozen smaller whispers & similar air pumps, but as work is offering to spend a little money (very little -- I bought the tank(s) on FB marketplace & am donating it) I thought I should use the opportunity to buy a newer airpump or two that isn't going to die at any moment...

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_340643817214068.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	904257  

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cinnamonamon; 10-16-2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: title adjustment

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome